Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+8
blouAngel
Heroine
Hank
dangrsmind
Splendor Solis
ericclimbs
Percy
claudicici
12 posters

The power of movies

ericclimbs
    ericclimbs

The power of movies - Page 2 Empty Re: The power of movies

Post by ericclimbs Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Heroine wrote:
    claudicici wrote:
    That is one of my favorite movies. Smile Yeah I'm psycho!!!!!

Check out the book. It's awesome though, be forewarned, it is extremely graphic:

The power of movies - Page 2 13741013
    Heroine
    Heroine
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Heroine Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:19 pm

ericclimbs wrote:
    Heroine wrote:
    claudicici wrote:

Check out the book. It's awesome though, be forewarned, it is extremely graphic:

The power of movies - Page 2 13741013
    I like extremely graphic stuff....Smile The power of movies - Page 2 Icon_twisted
    Heroine
    Heroine
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Heroine Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Paximus wrote:
    Heroine wrote:
    claudicici wrote:
    Yea and now you have all our private information. Its all making sense now. Great. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    Oh NO! Now you know my secret! The power of movies - Page 2 Icon_evil
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:43 pm

affraid
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 pm

blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:40 am

My two favorite vampire movies.

blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:57 am

This is one of the most beautiful and at the same time disturbing films I've ever seen. I saw it on the big screen when it came out. It messed with my head for about a week. I think it will still be a few years before I can watch the whole thing again, but it's still probably my favorite movie of all time. The cameras were all hand held, which has a much greater impact on a big screen and is a very important part of the movie experience, but it's worth watching any way you can.

Note Deep Purple's Child in Time in the soundtrack. It's a perfect fit.

Last edited by blouAngel on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:01 am

what is the name of the movie?...it gives me an errormessage up there.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 am

claudicici wrote:what is the name of the movie?...it gives me an errormessage up there.

Right above is Breaking the Waves. Above that are Let the Right One In and Near Dark.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 am

I see them now...my laptop stopped working and cici's keeps loosing connection
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:55 pm

blouAngel wrote:This is one of the most beautiful and at the same time disturbing films I've ever seen. I saw it on the big screen when it came out. It messed with my head for about a week. I think it will still be a few years before I can watch the whole thing again, but it's still probably my favorite movie of all time. The cameras were all hand held, which has a much greater impact on a big screen and is a very important part of the movie experience, but it's worth watching any way you can.

just by judging from the trailer,i don't know if i'd understand this movie.the trailer makes me kind of angry.
    why is he doing that to her?
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:37 pm

claudicici wrote:
    blouAngel wrote:This is one of the most beautiful and at the same time disturbing films I've ever seen. I saw it on the big screen when it came out. It messed with my head for about a week. I think it will still be a few years before I can watch the whole thing again, but it's still probably my favorite movie of all time. The cameras were all hand held, which has a much greater impact on a big screen and is a very important part of the movie experience, but it's worth watching any way you can.

just by judging from the trailer,i don't know if i'd understand this movie.the trailer makes me kind of angry.
    why is he doing that to her?

I was asking myself the same thing believe it or not...
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:40 pm

..maybe I'm a hypocrat cause it would make sense if the roles were reversed.....but then there wouldn't be any tragedy in that movie at all.
    i always tell my boyfriend he needs to start seeing someone he can have a future with and he gets angry and he says he loves me and i feel guilty because i'm not sure if i do it because i care about him and want what's best for him or do i do it because i don't love him enough?...i'm clueless when it comes to that stuff ,i was with cici's dad for such a long time and it was violent and ugly and we brought out the worst in each other and i left like 4 years ago but it's still like the same...emotionally it's like i never left...
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 am

I don't mean to belittle the question, because it is a good one, but what makes the movie worth seeing is that it really doesn't offer easy answers to questions like that. Good movies aren't always about good people with good intentions in happy situations. The movie raises a hell of a lot more questions when you actually see the whole thing. Is Bess actually talking to God? Is her paralyzed and drugged husband aware of what he's asking? Is he trying to help her move on and away from himself?

The trailer probably intentionally doesn't really give any idea of how the film is actually put together and seeing it at about 2 by 3 inches on youtube is nothing at all like seeing it on a huge screen. I've been looking at what a few other people have to say about it and found on IMDb nd think this sums it up fairly well.

A powerful, original vision. One of the greatest movies of the last
    ten years.
    .....the bottom line is that this is an
    extraordinary and powerful movie, one of the greatest of the last ten
    years.
    The main reason it is so remarkable is because of the devastating
    performance of Emily Watson, one of the most impressive screen debuts in
    the
    history of film. Watson plays Bess McNeill, a naive and odd young woman
    living in a remote and deeply religious Scottish community. She is so
    good
    in this movie she'll leave you speechless!..... The less you know about this movie
    the more powerful it will be, and even a jaded cynic like myself was
    surprised at how effective its spiritual theme was.......

I saw the movie by myself in a theater with only a few other people. The first thing that struck me is the color of the film, which reminded me of painters like Edvard Munch or Anselm Kiefer. The cameras were also hand held with no stabilizers so everything moves. At first, that is hard to get used to, but then it makes you feel like you are actually in the movie watching something intensely real and the acting, particularly by Emily Watson is just incredible.

The movie literally did leave me speechless and I spent about 2 hours just walking around town in the dark alone after I saw it. I happened to walk by the studio door of an amazing artist who used to live in town. I'd seen his work and asked several people about who he was, I had never met him. I saw a light on and decided to knock. He answered and invited me in to one of the most fantastic spaces I'd ever seen. It was filled with antique stuffed animals, bones and all sorts of fascinating artifacts that he made life sized painted photographs of. One of the things that he had was the skeleton of an infant with a small spot light on it. Not much shocks me, but at first I was a little disturbed to see that. I started looking at it though, and the more I looked, the more amazed I was to see it. I've spent my entire life looking for beautiful things to look at, and I'd have to say that's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. That single night had more influence on how I see art and life than any other I can recall. That movie certainly isn't for everyone, but I'd say it's well worth seeing if it is for you.

I usually don't care about an artist's biography, Van Gogh being an exception, but you might find a little background on the director to be interesting.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_von_Trier

There's more about him here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogme95

Last edited by blouAngel on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : weird html)
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:47 am

i will find it and watch it...i have to say i'm kind of scared though,i like how it is filmed (but now you mentioned edward munch and i'm even more scared,"the scream" always comes to my mind when i'm afraid,i painted it during hurricane ike and i'm a little proud of it because there was no light) i remember emily watson from "angela's ashes",she was so good there also...i will watch it.
    i see how the baby would be beautiful...
    i 'm still so behind on stuff you told me about that i want to look up...
    about van gogh,i never thought his art was as powerful as his writing ,,i wished he would have wrote more,i read the letters he wrote to his brother,they kill...
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:35 am

Northern European art often has a grey, but still very colorful look to it. That's more what I mean about the look of the film. These are a few prints by Munch that show that to some extent. Keifer's work is similarly colored and his paintings are huge which is a lot like a movie screen.
    The power of movies - Page 2 17
    The power of movies - Page 2 14

I was going to recommend van Gogh's letters to you and post it in the "Written Word" forum. I'll still post it there if I remember. Reproductions no matter what form just don't do justice to paintings. If you've seen van Gogh's art in person and weren't impressed, I'm surprised. If you haven't it is worth doing. I traveled to NYC a few years ago just to see an exhibit of his work and it was well worth both the trip and 3+ hour wait in line. Before that, I saw an exhibit closer to home in DC, which had three small self portraits hung in a group. It was amazing how different they were in every way and just how much he did with the shapes of his brush strokes and the different qualities of the paints he was working with. He put his soul into his words, but he did the same with his canvas.

John Berger has written a number of great books about art and what it does. He's best known for a BBC series called Ways of Seeing that he hosted in the early 70's. It was inspired by an essay by a German writer named Walter Benjamin which was called Das Kunstwerk im Zeitalter seiner
    technischen Reproduzierbarkeit.
    It talks about what has happened to art and it's meaning since we have begun to see it more in the form of copies than as it was made. The whole series is available on youtube, (which is sort of ironic) and it's worth seeing, particularly considering how we know one another and how we are able to share our interests and ideas with one-another.

I love his shirt!

Last edited by blouAngel on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cus i keep losing my link)
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:39 pm

I wish I could enjoy those kind of movies. If it is that disturbing I'm afraid to watch it!

I am a person who can keep her emotions well in check in order to deal with life - but sit me in front of an emotional or disturbing movie and I fall apart.

I have been haunted for days by movies and once had an anxiety attack from trying not to cry during a movie.

My life has had enough sorrow and bizarre events for me so instead of taking on more of it I really have to stick to action movies and I am a "stupid movie" connoisseur - I just love to laugh. Sadly my movie collection looks like that of a 14 year old boy Smile

Post by Guest Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 pm

OK, check this out
    I’m a pretty tough guy when it comes to movies
    I’ve studied special effects make-up and know how most of it is done

When I saw “ Hannibal” and the scene at the dinner table with Ray Liotta and Julianne Moore, well let’s just say that I couldn’t eat meatloaf for months and I have trouble seeing Ray in any movie now
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:50 am

blouAngel wrote:Northern European art often has a grey, but still very colorful look to it. That's more what I mean about the look of the film. These are a few prints by Munch that show that to some extent. Keifer's work is similarly colored and his paintings are huge which is a lot like a movie screen.
    The power of movies - Page 2 17
    The power of movies - Page 2 14

I was going to recommend van Gogh's letters to you and post it in the "Written Word" forum. I'll still post it there if I remember. Reproductions no matter what form just don't do justice to paintings. If you've seen van Gogh's art in person and weren't impressed, I'm surprised. If you haven't it is worth doing. I traveled to NYC a few years ago just to see an exhibit of his work and it was well worth both the trip and 3+ hour wait in line. Before that, I saw an exhibit closer to home in DC, which had three small self portraits hung in a group. It was amazing how different they were in every way and just how much he did with the shapes of his brush strokes and the different qualities of the paints he was working with. He put his soul into his words, but he did the same with his canvas.

John Berger has written a number of great books about art and what it does. He's best known for a BBC series called Ways of Seeing that he hosted in the early 70's. It was inspired by an essay by a German writer named Walter Benjamin which was called Das Kunstwerk im Zeitalter seiner
    technischen Reproduzierbarkeit.
    It talks about what has happened to art and it's meaning since we have begun to see it more in the form of copies than as it was made. The whole series is available on youtube, (which is sort of ironic) and it's worth seeing, particularly considering how we know one another and how we are able to share our interests and ideas with one-another.

I love his shirt!
    oh yeah,to see a "live" painting has soo much more impact,and i am extremely impressed by van gogh even on print but i don't understand how out of everyone he became like the most famous ever..that seems almost like a practical joke from whoever's in charge up there to me.
    i think the most difference to me between a print and seeing it live was frida kahlo ..i can't even describe how that felt
    and seeing van gogh 's paintings would probably make my heart stop just knowing he did that.
    now i'm even more behind..and i can't watch the clip because i'm at work and i don't have my laptop anymore and cici uses hers a lot herself
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:56 am

ziggy wrote:I wish I could enjoy those kind of movies. If it is that disturbing I'm afraid to watch it!

I am a person who can keep her emotions well in check in order to deal with life - but sit me in front of an emotional or disturbing movie and I fall apart.

I have been haunted for days by movies and once had an anxiety attack from trying not to cry during a movie.

My life has had enough sorrow and bizarre events for me so instead of taking on more of it I really have to stick to action movies and I am a "stupid movie" connoisseur - I just love to laugh. Sadly my movie collection looks like that of a 14 year old boy The power of movies - Page 2 Icon_smile
    that's why i'm afraid to watch that movie also,a lot of times i'm afraid it will remind me of something but a lot of times it also helps me understand or teaches me something...
    action movies are just boring to me but really crappy horror (figures) or really stupid comedys I like a lot for that very same reason you like action movies i guess The power of movies - Page 2 559312

Post by Guest Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 am

claudicici wrote:
    this was my first movie i had seen without my parents, i was 13 and snuck in the theater with a girl friend. it was a really weird movie, but kind of neat in that wierdness sort of way for a 13 year old. lol
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:30 pm

The power of movies - Page 2 Icon_surprised I love that movie...that kid is like the proto type of emo kids...

anyways I saw the first part of the "ways of seeing" ,that's thekind of stuff that trips me out.
    I wonder what the means for the future if it keeps going in that direction?
    is everyone just going to be able to see everything at once but the perceptions of everyone are so different ,everyone justs grasps whatever is valuable to them.
    like the beginning of that clip seems so brutal when the guy in the nice shirt cuts out tthat head.
    but that's just what we do in the "information" age right? everyone has access to the whole thing and gets to pick whatever they want out of it.
    like this forum is just a tiny tiny place with just a few people in it but there's no way for anyone of us to get every piece of information that's offered in this thing out of it so we just pick and choose and even if we choose the same thing out of it we each see it differently...i'm just thinking when is it going to become overwhelming?...when do we need to take a step back and just look at the narrow view,just see whatever is immedeately around us..hell,it's a really nice day,i'm going outside... The power of movies - Page 2 Icon_flower
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:49 am

..this is the one movie i still can't take to watch the whole thing for so many personal reasons,it was made stunningly beautiful ,the soundtrack is by david bowie and he appears in it,don't watch the english version though,the voices and translation is terrible...anyways the song in this montage is bowies song but it's done by the singer of rammstein and apocalytica (who don't they collabroate with?)

Post by karma Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Damn, I've seen most of these!

I love horror movies, they are my favorite, then action.
    Smile
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 pm

I read something cool about Bret Easton Ellis and some new film he was making, anyone know what it is, it sounded really cool but I cant remember now.

Anyway I rented law abiding citizen this evening and will watch in the coming days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am