Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

2 posters

GENERAL OPINIONS

claudicici
    claudicici

GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Empty Re: GENERAL OPINIONS

Post by claudicici Fri May 14, 2010 3:14 am

Please do NOT take this the wrong way because it is only an off the cuff comment and from my experience only but I know you mentioned that your daughters were 'PREPPY TYPES' as opposed to the more head banging alternative types like Emma and that because of this you never had any problems with them etc and I AM SURE THAT IS TRUE but I just HAVE to say that growing up I was pretty much a rebel myself and not really what you would call preppy but I do know when we wanted girls that would 'put out' or to get drugs or whatever, the preppy girls, and guys for that matter, was where it was at, those preppy kids who attend private schools and academies and wear all those fancy looking clothes are some of the hardest partying drug using and sexually promiscuis crowds I have ever known, perhaps its different in your area but in NY and Arizona and Seattle and Oregon and Boston which is where I have spent most of my time, the preppys dressed and acted nice but when they werent around mummy and daddy they were AS WILD AS THEY COME. No ****!
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri May 14, 2010 3:15 am

I am pretty much with DM on raising kids, I do give the young teen some freedom, he is 13 now but he gets ZERO unlimited access on the net and there are no exceptions to that, there are also no video games in our home and he is not allowed to sleep over with girls nor would I allow a girl to sleep over with him, when he is 16 I will let him drive and cut the leash a LITTLE MORE but he is expected to bring home at least a B average or his free time is seriously limited, he plays football and golf and baseball and keeps active in sports which he and I both love, we also work on cars together and rebuild old 60s mustangs together as a hobby, but I seriously limit his access to things like the internet and music concerts etc, I was 14 once too and I know what sort of trouble you can get in to very quickly with the wrong crowd. I am not a dictator and the boy is happy and has a good life but I want him to be a KID and not have to grow up too fast like I did and be faced with all the crap in the world but I do make sure he isnt sheltered to the point that when he does get out in the world he wont know what to do. We have taken several trips around our city and other cities and I have taken him to the worst parts with crack houses all around and we walked those areas at night and I showed him what that life is all about, I then took him to the nice areas of town and showed him the finer things in life and I made it clear to him that the CHOICE IS HIS which life he will lead, if he works hard and stays determined he can achieve whatever he wants.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri May 14, 2010 3:52 am

I hung out in college my first go round with dead heads, punks, and just plain weirdos(uhm, that would be me actually). A wide range of drugs were pretty abundant and that actually had a lot to do with me dropping out of school.

When I left, I moved to where I live now and I got a job working with a very conservative looking bunch. We were required to wear khakis and polo shirts and I just sucked it up because I needed a job. Not long after, I discovered that about half of my co-workers were gay or lesbian, including several people I would never have guessed (I'm not so blind anymore), and they were the hardest parting bunch I've ever encountered in my life.

It was not unusual for us to start hitting the local bars around 5 p.m. and because they knew and introduced me to all of the local bartenders, we paid very minimal bar tabs and we would stay after closing and often wouldn't leave until 4 a.m. or later. Our working day started painfully again around 8 a.m. and we would start the cycle all over again.

I couldn't do it anymore, but I had an absolute blast at some of the best parties I've ever been to and I had my eyes opened to a lot of society's secrets that way. That and working for a year as the only white kid in an otherwise all black crew have been two of the most paradigm shifting experiences in my life. By no means are all preppy kids like that any more than generalizations are true of any groups of people. Looks can be very deceiving though.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri May 14, 2010 3:55 am

Originally Posted by claudicici GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Viewpost
    I couldn't believe he said "two of them were "good" people GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Furious
    Oh, he didn't mean the other two weren't. (whoever "he" is--i've lost track of quotes) He was just talking about the adults there and then went on to talk about Emma and Mel. Altho, the reference to their "crazy friends" is naive, as we know that not everyone in a group is the same, and we have our own pixy and mary here who might identify with the group he's labeling and that is not cool.

But anyway, he didn't mean just the two were good, i don't think...... and you know, I AM a linguist. I can divine nuances of meaning that others, well, heh heh, that others couldn't even be expected to divine. GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Biggrin
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri May 14, 2010 3:57 am

I grew up in Berkeley California in the 70s so this doesn't really apply. The most promiscuous people and the one's with the best drugs were the parents.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri May 14, 2010 3:59 am

I'm sorry,but this reminds me so much of the "token"black friend thing I hear people in the states talk about all the time when they try to defend not being racsist.I lived here for 20 years(in tx,but I doubt va is much different)
    I lived in a black neighborhood for 10 years and 10 years in a white working class and mostly hispanic neighborhood....I work however in a white neighborhood,predominantly white,republican christians and yes they are racsist and yes nobody wants to admit it and they all try to defend it with the token black friend they all have and when I point out their racism they always get OVERLY defensive,kinda like a cheating spouse or something....

GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Token
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 4:36 am

Originally Posted by dangrsmind GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Viewpost
    Had a friend back in the day and we used to go over to her house and use the hot tub. Her parents rule was that we couldn't eat ALL of the pot brownies in the freezer.
    I suspected your close attention to your daughter's activities was motivated in part from your personal experiences around her age. Not that I'm judging. If I had a teenaged daughter, I'd be headed down to the basement right now to feed her lunch and maybe let her out for a short run in the backyard.

Just kidding guys. I do often wonder how I'd really handle that situation. I do think it's a different and much more difficult world for kids to grow up in now, at least middle class white American kids which is what I would be raising. I don't envy anyone with "experience" who's trying to gauge just how much of that their kids ought to be getting.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 am

"Cen is the rune of the brightly burning torch that lights up the hall in the evening, whose flames represent the safe, tempered fire of the hearth. Cen depicts the magickal-sexual heat of the goddess Freyja, which slumbers within ourselves, waiting to be kindled. This feminine power is termed Seid-fire or Seith-Fyr, and is the creative force of the Lady.... the word Shaman (once written as Flaman), means "keeper of the burning fires," or "keeper of the flame." The Cen rune is a magickal heat, begetting and shaping new creations, underlying all acts of art, craft, and magick."

That's kinda turning me on....
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 4:47 am

Well there is her Arabic arm tattoo...

GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 340x

Apparently this is Arabic for "determination" or "will".

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."

IIRC Sam's myspace mood was "determined"...hmm
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 4:50 am

Originally Posted by PAXIMUS GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Viewpost
    Hey Blou, I have to ask is that you in the avatar and whats with the compass and square on the forehead?

Also do you know the 11 word answer to the question:

What Come You Here To Do?

Glory to the queen of the world, to the great prophet of the holier worlds, to the guardian of blissful love -- she sends thee to me -- thou tenderly beloved -- the gracious sun of the Night, -- now am I awake -- for now am I thine and mine -- thou hast made me know the Night -- made of me a man -- consume with spirit-fire my body, that I, turned to finer air, may mingle more closely with thee, and then our bridal night endure forever.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:12 am

....I would never "snoop" on my kid,I completely 100% believe she has as much right to privacy as I do...I have her myspace password,twitter and facebook passwords because she told me...I don't use them though,she knows mine too.....whenever I make a decision to say "no",I give her the reason and I've done so since she was a toddler....I can not stand "because I said so".....

...I parent that way because that's how I am,I can't force myself to be "bossy" to my kid,she's a really good student,she does have problems with anxiety,depression,stuff like that but so do I,we get through it together...
    ....anyways I'm now sure Debra and Mark did what they did because they were probably advised by a therapist....maybe that was part of Emma's resentment towards her parents,I just really want to know why she hated her mom and whether she really fell head over heels for Sam or if she was more just leading him on.....

Well its not as bad as it sounds, I dont go through their stuff or anything but I do have a young daughter just now getting interested in boys and I do need to keep an eye on how she responds to certain types of pressure males will put on her so that I know what needs to be addressed when teaching moments arise. So yes I do keep an eye on things but not because I am a control freak or anything, the kids have a lot of freedom and do pretty much what they want to do as long as they are honest with me.

I am definitely all up in their business as Ziggy would say because I care about what they are doing and I wont be one of those parents who wants their kids to think they are cool, im not their friend although we are friends at times, I am their parent and I am there to provide security and protection for them until they can handle that themselves.

Just wanted to add that there is really no right or wrong way to parent, its all guesswork and my approach is certainly no better than anyone elses but its worked ok for me so far and I am grateful for that!
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:21 am

I just read the"remarks on the politics of black metal" and it's a very hard read.I need help with it.
    "Black Metal is the musical memory of our bloodthirsty ancestors of blood, it is the marriage of Tradition, of old racial patrimony with fanaticism, with the rage and the rashness of a youth now lost. It is a CHTONIAN religion: a cult of the EARTH and a return to it, therefore a nationalism; a cult of what is BELOW the earth: Hell — the adjective “chthonian” applies to the Infernal gods as well. BM is a fundamentalism, a music with integrity (from Latin integer, complete) which helps me to remain complete in a dying world, amidst a people in decay, unworthy of its blood. It is the apology of the dark European past. It is a psychosis which helps us to flee a reality we cannot tolerate anymore. "...this part I totally understand and agree with,but I don't understand a lot of the other things he brings up such as that black metal is always right wing ,I'm not even sure if he's arguing against that and I don't understand what his conclusion is? HELP !!!

What part of "We can also imagine a more sophisticated Deleuzoguattarian version of this argument: the deterritorialising or dematerialising effect of BM qua music requires a reterritorialising grounding, but only to produce a necessary site of radicalised intensification; after all, the nomad performs their deterritorialisation by staying in place." wasn't completely clear to you?

Really, for the most part, you need to be more concerned about that stuff making too much sense to you. Then you would really be lost. You have to remember, that a good 90%+ of what the academic world wallows in is complete bull****. You don't even get to go to conferences like that unless you've already proven your ability to make simple concepts completely impossible to follow when you discuss them. Notice in the quote above that the author doesn't even use standard English, but instead makes a politically motivated gender neutral misuse of the plural "their" to refer to something possessed by the singular nomad.

There's something called the Postmodernism Generator that creates a completely new randomly generated essay every time it loads. See if you can see any difference in that and the black metal essay.

Then there was the "Sokal Affair."
    See: Wikipedia (Links)
    GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Wikipedia_icon Sokal_affair
    There are a bunch of fun links in that wikipedia article.

"In 1996, Sokal, a professor of physics at New York University, submitted a paper for publication in Social Text, as an experiment to see if a journal in that field would, in Sokal's words: "publish an article liberally salted with nonsense if (a) it sounded good and (b) it flattered the editors' ideological preconceptions."[1] The paper argued that quantum gravity is a social and linguistic construct.
    The paper, titled "Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity",[2] was published in the Spring/Summer 1996 "Science Wars" issue of Social Text, which at that time had no peer review process, and so did not submit it for outside review.[3] On the day of its publication, Sokal announced in another publication, Lingua Franca, that the article was a hoax, calling his paper "a pastiche of left-wing cant, fawning references, grandiose quotations, and outright nonsense", which was "structured around the silliest quotations [he] could find about mathematics and physics" made by postmodernist academics."

That said, if you have patience and dig long and hard enough, there is a lot of interesting stuff that can emerge from the muck. That conference may or may not be a dead end. It's just a place to look, not a sure thing.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:23 am

I don't know...I just look at it my own way.

Santa as Shaman, flying reindeer, fly agaric mushrooms, Yule, the festival of lights (and there is more than one of them!), potlatch, the journey of the three wise men, a mysterious "star", and of course the birth of the Christ child symbolizing the birth of true compassion in each one of our hearts.

Plus a good excuse to drink. GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Wink

Absolutelty can see that, I have researched the Christian Pagan connections for years and people would be astonished if they realized where most of the christian traditions originated.

For example the whole death and ressurection of Jesus thing is really winter and summer Solstice when you have the death of the SUN and its REBIRTH in spring and summer, the people of the Fertile Crescent who came up with these ideas were agricultualists and Sun Worshipers obviously because the Sun was what made the crops grow and in the winter time everything dies off and there is less light each day, a very bleak time for them as they didnt have a Krogers to go get food from, it was very much a symbolic death followed by a rebirth and resurrection in the spring and summer with more light each day and the crops coming alive again, a symbolic rebirth and resurrection of the SUN/SON.

Also Easter, same thing, it was based on the festival for the Fertility Goddess.

Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility [was] known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos. Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre." Similar Goddesses were known by other names in ancient cultures around the Mediterranean, and were celebrated in the springtime. Some were:

Aphrodite from ancient Cyprus
    Ashtoreth from ancient Israel
    Astarté from ancient Greece
    Demeter from Mycenae
    Hathor from ancient Egypt
    Ishtar from Assyria
    Kali, from India
    Ostara a Norse Goddess of fertility.

The idea was to celebrate the spring/sumnmer rebirth/resurrection of the sun/son by paying homage to the mother/fertility goddess and the whole idea of hunting eggs was that these were the fertility/ovarian eggs of the Mother Goddess Eostre et al. So basically Christiandom unwittingly has their children out hunting the ovarian eggs of the Mother Goddess each Easter strange as it may sound.

You can really tie ALL the religions together one way or another as they all have their roots in these ancient agricultural communities in Sumer etc. Even Buddhism to some extent picked up a lot of its traditions and customs from the older Shamanistic religion that predated it in Tibet.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 am

You know I am not a big fan of the holidays either, since I grew up Jewish and I am now Buddhist I have never done Christmas except with Christian friends or distant relatives and while I do enjoy all the lights and decorations and thing and it is sort of a feel good time of year it is very difficult for me to enjoy it because I know there are so many people out there especially kids who wont have a hot meal or even a single present and thats a real downer for me so I usually spend the late morning at the local soup kitchen and help around there and we usually save up a thousand dollars every year and buy as many kids bikes as we can and we give those away to kids at the soup kitchen who are there with their parents, thats really the only way I can tolerate the whole holiday thing otherwise I would just stay in bed all week sobbing like a little baby because I cant deal with how ****ed up a world we live in. I should probably be on xanax or something but I cant bring myself to admit to a doctor how emotionally and mentally ****ed up I am.

That said, I do believe on way or another, your father is in a better place. Be strong my friend you are not alone in your sadness and grief you can at least count me as one right there with you.

Percy~

I don't think you're "emotionally " and "mentally" f****** up,I think you actually have feelings and emphatise with others and you are passionate about it,it's sad that a doctor would probably put you on drugs because of it.

I do choose to celebrate x-mas as total indulgence of ignorance.
    I love the lights and the feeling of it and I just pretend I'm a little kid.
    I also make my daughter go to midnight mass with me cos that's what i did as a kid and she hates it and I think about Jesus and all the other great people in history that weren't afraid to voice their opinions and stand up for stuff they believe in even if it's not the popular opinion...
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 am

Looks like they come out with a new 40th Anniversary Edition of The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross.
    http://www.johnallegro.org/main/

John Allegro was a scholar well versed in ancient Near Eastern languages who worked on the team that translated and analyzed the Dead Sea Scrolls. He wrote The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross about his highly controversial theory that Christianity's origin was in an ancient, Hebrew if I recall correctly, cult that used Amanita Muscaria mushrooms. He wrecked his career with that.

Allegro's theory was that the mushroom cultists were persecuted and had to hide their ritual formulas in stories that became the basis of the Christian stories regarding Jesus and his followers. It's been about 20 years since I've read it, but I'm going to have to give it a look again. Since there is a new edition that has just been released, there may be some interesting discussion around it. It's interesting that both Jesus and Santa Claus might be explained by Amanita use.

Christmas is something I could take or leave. Easter on the other hand though, I love. I lived in Turkey in the early 70's when I was about 7 and 8. We travelled a lot, and went to Ephesus for Easter. My parents were only sort of Christian, so I think it was really just because we were free on a school break. The environment there was much more heavily vegetated in ancient times, but it was really spectacular in the early spring when I was there. I can easily see why that would be cause for celebration. That trip fixed in my mind this image of the Ephesian version of Artemis as what Easter is really all about.

GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Artemis_of_Ephesus

I've loved this sculpture of a dancer and gazelles by Paul Manship ever since I first saw it. I used to always visit the one in the National Gallery every time I went to D.C. I still visit as often as I can. I didn't make the connection for a long time, but although it's stylistically more influenced by Persian and Assyrian art it's clearly the same motif.
    GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Paulmanshipdancerandgazellesbr

The gestures Manship's dancer makes are closer to this than the archaic pose of the Ephesian artemis. I often find myself doing the same thing Artemis is doing with her cat, so I like this one.
    GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Artemis
    It's from a 6th century B.C. vase and is actually far more modern than the Ephesian statue which is from the 1st century A.D. That just goes to show how persistent forms can be once they are imbued with ritual significance. Something very similar to the headdress Artemis wears in the Ephesian sculptures can still be seen in women's wedding adornment in areas as far flung as Morocco and Uzbekistan, not to mention in countless images of Byzantine women. BTW, if you look closely at the image from the vase, you will find the "x" or chi with 4 dots.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:37 am

Originally Posted by wadahoot GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Viewpost
    OK, I'm old ... I don't get it. GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Crazy1
    Regardless of age, most people don't get any art. They just have an easier time convincing themselves they do when the art has people, or dogs, or angels, or pretty country scenes in it. They see something they recognize, are satisfied that's it, and stop looking. That's why Andrew Wyeth and Norman Rockwell could make a living but most people have never heard of someone say like Mark Tobey.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:39 am

And to think that not very long ago I was put on time out in part for posting a picture of Duchamp's Fountain and arguing it was relevant to the discussion about the artistic merits of horrorcore. GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Wink
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 am

GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 17937_218310936556_591401556_3701578_7609528_n
    Haha now thats my style!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you all, I have enjoyed our time together and after ten plus years on various forums I can say without any doubt that this is the best group of posters that I have had the pleasure to hang around with, each of you bring to the table something special and unique and I look forward to many more months together as we await the trial and hopefully even after the whole syko sam thing is over we can create our own thread somewhere on here and just hang out and chit chat like we have been the last month, its been great and Blou and DM have really added alot of interesting things lately to make it even more interesting and keep the thread alive, thanks for that guys.

Heroine and Eric and some of the rest of you who have been missing lately, do check in and say hello, we miss your contributions!

Happy Holidays from Percy and Emmy and the kiddies~~
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 am

Originally Posted by hank GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Viewpost
    I am pretty sure I saw Santa kissing mom underneath the mistletoe last night...
    DM can you find evidence?

That wasn't Santa...

GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Santa_as_satan
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 6:46 am

GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Photo_054

Anything like this around Farmville?

Ok, I'm joking here...I think.

So for those that weren't fans of the show Twin Peaks, this place is called Glastonberry Grove and the pool of liquid in the center was a sort of portal or entrance to the Black Lodge. The Black Lodge was evil and it spread evil influences in the town of Twin Peaks in the show. This evil influence resulted in multiple murders as well. Some people think the Black Lodge was supposed to be hell or at least that is one possible interpretation of the Black Lodge.

It has been years since I saw this show, but the episodes that involved the Black Lodge were some of the more memorably weird ones. FWIW.

GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Vlcsnap1531307ix1
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 7:06 am

A little fun:

http://www.pakin.org/complaint

I will not waste my time criticizing or insulting The Tapu as 1) she is unlikely to change, and 2) Tapu probably revels in the letters of shock and repulsion that she regularly receives. Instead, I will focus on her careless perceptions, which, after all, are the things that precipitate riots. First and foremost, the picture I am presenting need not be confined to her scribblings. It applies to everything Tapu says and does.

Even so, we find among narrow and uneducated minds the belief that the best way to reduce cognitive dissonance and restore homeostasis to one's psyche is to progressively enlarge and increasingly centralize the means of oppression, exploitation, violence, and destruction. This belief is due to a basic confusion that can be cleared up simply by stating that many people are looking for a modern-day Moses who will split the sea of corporatism and punish Tapu for her revolting threats. I can't claim that I'm the right person for the job, but I can say that Tapu will do everything in her power to hijack the word "pericardiomediastinitis" and use it to exploit public sympathy in order to bolster support for her demonic philosophies. No wonder corruption is endemic to our society; Tapu refers to a variety of things using the word "unproportionableness". Translating this bit of jargon into English isn't easy. Basically, she's saying that she can brand me as antihumanist and get away with it, which we all know is patently absurd. At any rate, an understanding of the damage that may be caused by her rapacious harangues isn't something I expect everyone to develop the first time they hear about it. That's why I write over and over again and from so many different angles about how throughout history, there has been a clash between those who wish to stand up and fight for our heritage, traditions, and values and those who wish to promote mediocrity over merit. Naturally, Tapu belongs to the latter category.

One might aver that one positive outcome of the Law of Unintended Consequences is that if we take a proactive, rather than a reactive, stance then Tapu won't be able to impose a one-size-fits-all model on how society should function. While that's true, it does somewhat miss the point. You see, if the people generally are relying on false information sown by semi-intelligible, ugly intrusive-types, then correcting that situation becomes a priority for the defense of our nation. Now let's have some fun and examine a few of her more ridiculous statements. First, Tapu said that genocide, slavery, racism, and the systematic oppression, degradation, and exploitation of most of the world's people are all completely justified. That's rather lethargic, isn't it? Later on, she claimed that laws are meant to be broken. What this really means is that she wants to introduce absurd, baseless, terror-ridden lawsuits intended to destroy the lives of countless innocent people. The Tapu's bilious past resonates in her current opinions. Do give that some thought.

Hopefully Tapu will reconnect soon and we won't need to be using computer generated texts to make up for her absence. But I do like this, "The Tapu's bilious past resonates in her current opinions."

Bilious past? Hmm.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 am

I've seen Laffoley's work before. He was trained as an architect, and that just jumps out at me from his work for some reason. It looks like a typical 70's - early 80's postmodernist rendering. Someone gave me a Helmut Jahn postcard a coupe of days ago. I can't find that online, but this is the same sort of thing. You may see the resemblance.
    GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 4979_174192
    Modernism has definite roots in eastern European mysticism and early post-modernists would have trained under committed modernists. Jahn's work, at least on paper clearly shows traces of that mystical tradition, but I doubt very much if he would be aware of it or even care. I personally really despise that sort of illustration for some reason that I can't quite figure out myself. It may be it's lack of awareness that bothers me. Earlier architects like Feiniger, Taut, or Scharoun were much more intentional in what they proposed and aware of that history. They also worked at a time when electric light wasn't something to be taken for granted, so that certainly has something to do with their infatuation with light.

Feininger
    GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Lyonel_feininger_cathedral_wood-cut_for_the_bauhaus_manifesto_1919-267x4281

Taut
    GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Taut_3

Scharoun
    GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Scharoun_13
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon May 17, 2010 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Farmvillian GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Viewpost
    Yeah! We have one of these. Some people call it Holiday lake. Happy Holidays everyone. Big month coming up. Anyone want to predict how it is going to go down?
    hmmm....Dangers are you ready?

A "painter's holiday" is a void left when a painter puts on a fresh coat of paint.

a poem on the theme...

A PAINTER'S HOLIDAY

Carman, Bliss, (1861-1929)
    We painters sometimes strangely keep
    These holidays. When life runs deep
    And broad and strong, it comes to make
    Its own bright-colored almanack.
    Impulse and incident divine
    Must find their way through tone and line;
    The throb of color and the dream
    Of beauty, giving art its theme
    From dear life's daily miracle,
    Illume the artist's life as well.

A bird-note, or a turning leaf,
    The first white fall of snow, a brief
    Wild song from the Anthology,
    A smile, or a girl's kindling eye,--
    And there is worth enough for him
    To make the page of history dim.

Who knows upon what day may come
    The touch of that delirium
    Which lifts plain life to the divine,
    And teaches hand the magic line
    No cunning rule could ever reach,
    Where Soul's necessities find speech?
    None knows how rapture may arrive
    To be our helper, and survive
    Through our essay to help in turn
    All starving eager souls who yearn
    Lightward discouraged and distraught.
    Ah, once art's gleam of glory caught
    And treasured in the heart, how then
    We walk enchanted among men,
    And with the elder gods confer!
    So art is hope's interpreter,
    And with devotion must conspire
    To fan the eternal altar fire.
    Wherefore you find me here to-day,
    Not idling the good hours away,
    But picturing a magic hour
    With its replenishment of power.

Conceive a bleak December day,
    The streets all mire, the sky all gray,
    And a poor painter trudging home
    Disconsolate, when what should come
    Across his vision, but a line
    On a bold-lettered play-house sign,
    A Persian Sun Dance.
    In he turns.
    A step, and there the desert burns
    Purple and splendid; molten gold
    The streamers of the dawn unfold,
    Amber and amethyst uphurled
    Above the far rim of the world;
    The long-held sound of temple bells
    Over the hot sand steals and swells;
    A lazy tom-tom throbs and drones
    In barbarous maddening monotones;
    While sandal incense blue and keen
    Hangs in the air. And then the scene
    Wakes, and out steps, by rhythm released,
    The sorcery of all the East,
    In rose and saffron gossamer,--
    A young light-hearted worshipper
    Who dances up the sun. She moves
    Like waking woodland flower that loves
    To greet the day. Her lithe, brown curve
    Is like a sapling's sway and swerve
    Before the spring wind. Her dark hair
    Framing a face vivid and rare,
    Curled to her throat and then flew wild,
    Like shadows round a radiant child.
    The sunlight from her cymbals played
    About her dancing knees, and made
    A world of rose-lit ecstasy,
    Prophetic of the day to be.

Such mystic beauty might have shone
    In Sardis, or in Babylon,
    To bring a Satrap to his doom
    Or touch some lad with glory's bloom.
    And now it wrought for me, with sheer
    Enchantment of the dying year,
    Its irresistible reprieve
    From joylessness on New Year's Eve.

http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/GnosisB.html

Francis Danby is know for his painting "Painter's Holiday, as well as "Promenade/Apocalypse"
    GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Apocalypse_FrancisDanby

Which you will find referenced here
    http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/GnosisH.html

which leads to
    http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/GnosisB.html on the subject of "The Crimson King," which brings it all back home very nicely you will see.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Tue May 18, 2010 2:48 am

Here is an interesting bit of information that I came up with on my own and have never seen anyone discuss.

The Patriot Act was obviously a very controversial bill and in the weeks leading up to the final Senate vote on it, it didnt look like it was going to pass as Tom Daschele and Leahy were leading the charge for a NAY vote on it.

Exactly one week BEFORE the final Senate vote we had the ANTHRAX ATTACKS remember those? That happened one week before the final Senate vote on the Patriot Act and the two anthrax letters were sent to whom? Daschele and Leahy, who just happened to be the two Senators who were speaking out most loudly against the bill. They both got sent anthrax letters supposedly from Muslim extremists (so they said at the time) and they both then ended up voting IN FAVOR of the bill.

Thats just a little too much for me.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Tue May 18, 2010 2:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnrslucky1 GENERAL OPINIONS - Page 5 Viewpost
    I remember that well, but could not put my finger on it! I will check that out some more!
    State sponsored terrorism is nothing new so it isnt as if we are dreaming up the impossible. I could name 20 or more instances in history but I will stick with 2 that you have probably heard of:

Nero burnt down Rome and blamed the Christians.

Hitler burnt down the Reichstag and blamed his communist/Jewish opposition

Bush......and blamed the Muslims? Maybe. After all the Muslim world was the last place on earth that had pretty much resisted western corporate hegemony, I am sure it wont be long now until we have Walmarts, Burger Kings and McDonalds in Baghdad. Know what I am saying?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm