Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+5
Kay
ziggy
ladyg
claudicici
Percy
9 posters

LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS

Percy
    Percy

LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS Empty LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS

Post by Percy Thu May 20, 2010 11:46 pm

I am as guilty as anyone else, I have suddenly gotten real busy with a case and dont have a lot of internet down time but Scott and Claudi and a few others have been trying real hard to keep this place going, none of us want the board to die off so PLEASE take the time when you have it to post a comment or two and keep things fresh and entertaining around here so we can keep this place going and hopefully as soon as I am done working on the case I am working on now I will have time to start a real nice discussion forum for all of us that will have a chance to grow in to something special over time, that is still my plan and I have been working on it little here and little there, in the meantime lets just post when we can here even if its just a single comment now and then, any little thing helps to keep the place interesting and reward others like Scott who have been trying really hard to keep posting interesting threads and comments.
    Hope you all are doing well and I should have a little more time in the coming weeks to comment a little more often than I have been able to over the last month.
    Come on in, sit down and enjoy yourself, we miss you all and cant wait to hear from you again!
    Percy and the rest.
    claudicici
    claudicici

LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS Empty Re: LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS

Post by claudicici Fri May 21, 2010 6:44 am

LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS 177492

Post by Guest Fri May 21, 2010 10:47 am

LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS 97195

Post by Guest Fri May 21, 2010 10:16 pm

yes, i've been here off and on. been so busy with the end of this school year. today was our student's last day. mine ends on monday, and have some seminars and workshops i have to attend in june. but i haven't forgotten ya'll. and so impressed with all the hard work toward the book. mucho kudos for those who have been working so diligently. ;D and june is around the corner, i wonder if there is a trial
    ladyg
    ladyg

Post by ladyg Sat May 22, 2010 12:54 am

i'm tryin, been real busy with rl....haven't been anywhere much....just facebook and even that isn't as much as I used to be.summer is coming, beach time and no internet there....will stop in when I can, don't want to lose this place, it's awesome as are you all....
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 pm

I've been down and out for a while...health problems, school, work, boyfriend's messy divorce, massive headaches constantly. I'm back though and thanks Scott and Claudi for checking in on me. You are all the best.

Post by Guest Thu May 27, 2010 8:50 am

Welcome back Ziggy
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Thu May 27, 2010 10:37 am

ziggy wrote:I've been down and out for a while...health problems, school, work, boyfriend's messy divorce, massive headaches constantly. I'm back though and thanks Scott and Claudi for checking in on me. You are all the best.

Hope everything gets better soon! LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS 316827
    Catwomansixtsix
    Catwomansixtsix

Post by Catwomansixtsix Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Agree
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:09 am

Hey thanks guys. I've been on a diet of veggies, lean meats and rice and fruit. I'm feeling much better. I am going to splurge on a frozen fruit bar tonight. My office got approved for a small business health care plan so I officially have health insurance now...just in case.

I do still have a great deal of pain in my right shoulder and elbow: going to see the chiropractor - the activator type - for that to see what can be done before I consult pill pushers and butchers Smile

Now back to reading Supreme Court cases...as much as I love and respect the justices they are a bunch of windbags!

It also occurs to me after reading the Fourth Amendment cases that the war on drugs is what has slowly erroded our privacy and whittled away our Constitutional rights. Every freaking case has something to do with drugs: searching cars, homes, people - all to find pot...no expectation of privacy with regard to drug sniffing canines they can bring around your car with no reasonable suspicion at all. I am horrified to see the evolution of it all.

What will be the next "war on..." that will further strip us of our freedom? Don't bother. I think I know the answer.

[oh my God I am starting to sound like a defense attorney] LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS Affraid

Post by Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:36 am

ziggy wrote:Hey thanks guys. I've been on a diet of veggies, lean meats and rice and fruit. I'm feeling much better. I am going to splurge on a frozen fruit bar tonight. My office got approved for a small business health care plan so I officially have health insurance now...just in case.

I do still have a great deal of pain in my right shoulder and elbow: going to see the chiropractor - the activator type - for that to see what can be done before I consult pill pushers and butchers Smile

Now back to reading Supreme Court cases...as much as I love and respect the justices they are a bunch of windbags!

It also occurs to me after reading the Fourth Amendment cases that the war on drugs is what has slowly erroded our privacy and whittled away our Constitutional rights. Every freaking case has something to do with drugs: searching cars, homes, people - all to find pot...no expectation of privacy with regard to drug sniffing canines they can bring around your car with no reasonable suspicion at all. I am horrified to see the evolution of it all.

What will be the next "war on..." that will further strip us of our freedom? Don't bother. I think I know the answer.

[oh my God I am starting to sound like a defense attorney] LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS Affraid
    Ziggy!!!!! Someone seems to have used you log in and posted something about constitutional rights. It sounds like something the ACLU would say. LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS Icon_lol
    I tease. It is good to consider different perspectives. Glad you are feeling better.
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:39 am

I know! But really I"m one of those crazy right wing whacko patriots who is all about the Constitution.

Once in our Torts class the prof. was railing about some issue before we started class and it became about the Framer's "intentions". He said, "do we really care about their intentions at this point? Show of hands who thinks the Framer's intentions are of any importance."

About 3 of us raised our hands. ONLY 3. He looked a little put off as if the whole room was just going to agree with him. He was cool though. I can like even uber libs.

So dig this I am very interested in Constitutional Law. Not sure what type of job one gets with that but we'll see.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:22 pm

You may find this interesting.
    Administration Drug Control Strategy Raises Civil Liberties Concerns, Says ACLU

WASHINGTON – The Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) today announced its 2010 national drug control strategy. The strategy, while increasing resources for treatment and prevention, raises concerns by continuing the government’s focus on enforcement of current policies that are ineffective, costly and potentially threatening to civil liberties.
    The ONDCP is a component of the Executive Office of the President that establishes drug policy, strategy and priorities as set by the office of the president. The strategy directs the country’s anti-drug efforts and establishes a program, a budget and guidelines for cooperation among federal, state and local entities.

The American Civil Liberties Union welcomes the increased emphasis on prevention and treatment in the ONDCP's strategy but believes it should account for the civil liberties and fiscal costs resulting from current enforcement practices.

The following can be attributed to Laura W. Murphy, Director of the ACLU Washington Legislative Office:

“The ONDCP’s commitment of both money and support to programs like needle exchange initiatives is critical as we cannot afford the civil liberties and fiscal consequences of continuing to overzealously lock up minor drug offenders while common sense solutions remain underfunded. Though we are encouraged by the emphasis on evidence-based prevention and treatment in the ONDCP strategy, continuing the practice of targeting small-time drug offenders rather than working to curb drug use will only serve to increase incarceration and divide our communities.

“In addition to recommendations by the ONDCP, there are important bills currently pending in Congress that would address drug policy by reducing the sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine and creating a national criminal justice commission to reassess our broken system. Congress must a play a role alongside the ONDCP in executing this strategy and recalibrating our failed drug policies.”

The following can be attributed to Jay Rorty, Director of the ACLU Drug Law Reform Project:

“The Obama administration deserves credit for vocalizing a commitment to moving away from the failed and unconstitutional policies that have defined America's war on drugs. But any strategy aimed at reversing the mistakes of the drug war must both fund treatment and ensure that enforcement efforts preserve civil rights, and ONDCP’s budget and strategy do neither. Attempting to reduce demand by continuing to focus on the search, arrest and conviction of street sellers rather than importers will further erode the Fourth Amendment, exacerbate the crippling financial effects of our nation’s addiction to mass incarceration and is no substitute for an effective public health-based strategy that promotes public safety while preserving communities’ constitutional rights.”

Post by Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:24 pm

ziggy wrote:So dig this I am very interested in Constitutional Law. Not sure what type of job one gets with that but we'll see.
    One never knows. There are all kinds of good cases out there that need to be worked.
    I personally have a lot of projects I would like to work on but that whole having to earn a living thing keeps monopolizing my time so on any given day I do things that I find less interesting.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:47 pm

ziggy wrote:I know! But really I"m one of those crazy right wing whacko patriots who is all about the Constitution.

Once in our Torts class the prof. was railing about some issue before we started class and it became about the Framer's "intentions". He said, "do we really care about their intentions at this point? Show of hands who thinks the Framer's intentions are of any importance."

About 3 of us raised our hands. ONLY 3. He looked a little put off as if the whole room was just going to agree with him. He was cool though. I can like even uber libs.

So dig this I am very interested in Constitutional Law. Not sure what type of job one gets with that but we'll see.
    Re reading and pondering here. I think there are a couple interesting points. You refer to yourself as a "crazy right wing wacko" LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS Icon_biggrin who is all about the constitution. I could think of more flattering ways to describe my friend Ziggy.
    Is it odd that the bill of rights repeatedly cited by the right is earnestly defended by organizations traditionally viewed as left such as the ACLU? Could this be a place where right and left come together? The rights affored to the individual in the bill of rights are unique and important.
    Another interesting questions would be do the framers intentions still matter? Would their intentions be the same now if they lived in the modern world we do? Are we as a society faced with the same issues or do we live in a world that 1780's era citizens could not even dream of? Should the document be viewed in its historical context? Is the right to bear arms the same then when everyone had a musket as it is today when people can own assault rifles? Did search mean the same then as it does now? Is the consitution like the bible in the sense that opposing sides of several arguments can read the same text and find support for their position?
    piXy
    piXy

Post by piXy Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:25 pm

I been here just have nothing new to add yet..... dont worry you all havent seen the last of me lol
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:06 pm

LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS 418352 that's good to hear,pixy miss ya !
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Scott wrote:
    ziggy wrote:I know! But really I"m one of those crazy right wing whacko patriots who is all about the Constitution.

Re reading and pondering here. I think there are a couple interesting points. You refer to yourself as a "crazy right wing wacko" LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS Icon_biggrin who is all about the constitution. I could think of more flattering ways to describe my friend Ziggy.
    Is it odd that the bill of rights repeatedly cited by the right is earnestly defended by organizations traditionally viewed as left such as the ACLU? Could this be a place where right and left come together? The rights affored to the individual in the bill of rights are unique and important.
    Another interesting questions would be do the framers intentions still matter? Would their intentions be the same now if they lived in the modern world we do? Are we as a society faced with the same issues or do we live in a world that 1780's era citizens could not even dream of? Should the document be viewed in its historical context? Is the right to bear arms the same then when everyone had a musket as it is today when people can own assault rifles? Did search mean the same then as it does now? Is the consitution like the bible in the sense that opposing sides of several arguments can read the same text and find support for their position?

Always good to ponder your POV however, my answer to the Second Amendment question will be yes, because the entire point of a citizenry that could bear arms was so that it would not be held hostage by a tyranical government. While some say it may be too late for that, I still think that as long as citizens have some ability to rise up then we are America and when we no longer have that right we are AmeriKa. I prefer the former. So musket is to cannon as assault rifle is to...whatever - you don't need to compare the firepower because it is the principle. Law Enforcement still has to abide by some of the Constitution when they come to invade the privacy of your home and some of that has stayed in place only because of OFFICER SAFETY, because they know citizens have guns...like knock and announce. Look, without that I can see where our rights would have been trampled on long ago. So it's important. It helps prevent the abuse of power.

The framer's basic intentions are still there. Maybe some of the details of our living have changed, but the basic moral and ethical basis remains.

And don't get me started about the ACLU who will rarely defend someone on the Right. When the kids got sent home for wearing their American flag shirts on the 5th of May in Morgan Hill, CA - where was the ACLU? You can bet they would have been frothing at the mouth if it had been the other way around. That's just the way it is and the left does not have my respect because they refuse to admit it and live in reality.
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Stepping off my soap box to say -- hi piXy!

Post by Guest Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:24 pm

ziggy wrote:
    Scott wrote:

Always good to ponder your POV however, my answer to the Second Amendment question will be yes, because the entire point of a citizenry that could bear arms was so that it would not be held hostage by a tyranical government. While some say it may be too late for that, I still think that as long as citizens have some ability to rise up then we are America and when we no longer have that right we are AmeriKa. I prefer the former. So musket is to cannon as assault rifle is to...whatever - you don't need to compare the firepower because it is the principle. Law Enforcement still has to abide by some of the Constitution when they come to invade the privacy of your home and some of that has stayed in place only because of OFFICER SAFETY, because they know citizens have guns...like knock and announce. Look, without that I can see where our rights would have been trampled on long ago. So it's important. It helps prevent the abuse of power.

The framer's basic intentions are still there. Maybe some of the details of our living have changed, but the basic moral and ethical basis remains.

And don't get me started about the ACLU who will rarely defend someone on the Right. When the kids got sent home for wearing their American flag shirts on the 5th of May in Morgan Hill, CA - where was the ACLU? You can bet they would have been frothing at the mouth if it had been the other way around. That's just the way it is and the left does not have my respect because they refuse to admit it and live in reality.
    Does an organization have to be all good or all bad? Because they are selective in cases that they do take, does it necessarily negate the good work they do on the cases that they do elect to take on?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:42 pm

I actually beleive in a citizens right to own a firearms. I think that the prevalence of guns causes more problems than it solves BUT I still believe in someones right to own one.
    I am in favor of common sense limitations. Example a P90 currently available to a consumer can hold 50 rounds in a compact package and can penetrate body armor. I have trouble thinking of a situation in which a citizen needs this sort of a weapon. I don't have trouble seeing a terrible situiation where some defective individual brings one to a school, office, or shopping mall. Was anyone NOT able to defend themselves during the Clinton era assualt weapons ban because of the ban? Are we safer when more people have high magazine capacity semi automatic weapons?
    There has to be an uneasy balance that I am not sure how we find. Law abiding citizens can certainly use weapons to defend themselves and previously law abiding citizens get into arguments over parking spaces where someone dies because everyone is armed.
    boygenius
    boygenius

Post by boygenius Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Check out my thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Post by Guest Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:40 pm

LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS 906900
    Hiiii guys (and girls)!
    Sorry I've been MIA for so long...Hit a rough spot for a while but I'm back now so expect to be seeing me around like usual!
    I've missed yall!!!

LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS 316827
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:10 am

MARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...good to see you back LETS KEEP THIS PLACE GOING FRIENDS 316827
    Peace
    Peace

Post by Peace Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:13 pm

iz back! Greeting!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am