Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

2 posters

seriously?

seriously? Empty seriously?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:02 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/07/21/dad-five-minutes-from-death-after-being-bitten-by-black-adder-snake-while-on-family-walk-in-kent-115875-22427794/
    Dad five minutes from death after being bitten by black adder snake while on family walk in Kent

• seriously? Transparent
    • seriously? Transparent

By Euan Stretch 21/07/2010 seriously? Adder-image-1-495413043

A dad was left in agony and just five minutes from death after being bitten by an adder on an afternoon stroll with his family.
    Matthew Popov, 36, recoiled in horror as the foot-long black snake sank its fangs into his left index finger after he picked it up at a country park.
    Within ten minutes, his hand swelled to twice its normal size, he was left blind, vomiting and gasping for breath.
    He was rushed to hospital where he was given a life-saving shot of adrenalin and anti-venom.
    Doctors told him if he had arrived five minutes later, he would have been dead.
    The bite caused Matthew to go into anaphylactic shock and his blood pressure plummeted.
    Yesterday, speaking from his home at Frindsbury near Strood, Kent, he said: “I tried to pick the snake up, but it was quicker than me and bit me on the finger. I thought it may have been an adder, but I didn’t know they could be so dangerous – or they could kill you.”
    Scaffolder Matthew had gone for a walk on Sunday with wife Amee, 31, son Matthew six, and their two-year-old daughter Libby in the 30-acre Riverside country park at Rainham, Kent.
    He explained: “We were ambling down a dirt path and I saw my son bend over something which he was about to pick up. It looked like a snake. I shouted at him, ‘No’ and rushed over to see what it was. It was about a foot long and black and I thought it could have been an adder.
    “It had crossed the path and was struggling to climb up a bank at the side. I went to pick it up so I could move it to the side of the path out of harm’s way.
    “But as I put my hand out to try and grab behind its head, it bit me before slithering away. Within a couple of minutes I felt a stinging sensation which slowly crept up my left arm.

“Then, weirdly, I could feel the soles of my feet starting to burn. My vision started to get blurred and I was seeing all sorts of strange colours.”
    By the time Matthew made it back to the visitors’ centre he was blind and vomiting.
    A park ranger dialled 999 and Matthew was taken to Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham, where a team of 12 doctors and nurses were waiting.
    Luckily, Amee had taken a picture of the snake on her mobile and they were able to order the correct antivenom, which took 30 minutes to arrive.
    Matthew added: “I was a mess. At one stage I had three drips in me.”
    He was discharged on Monday after a night in intensive care.
    He said: “It’s thanks to the doctors that I am still here. My advice to anyone who sees an adder would be, leave it alone.”
    Dr Alexsander Tsolov, who helped treat Matthew, said: “He was criticially ill and we had to work very quickly.”
    A Medway council spokesman said it was not considered necessary to put up warning signs at the park as “the numbers of adders is not particularly high”.
    He added: “But we would advise people not to pick them up or move them.”
    UK KILLER
    The common adder – or Vipera Berus – is widespread throughout the UK and western Europe.
    It is the UK’s only indigenous venomous snake and can grow to 34in in length. They can be light-coloured or completely dark, but most feature
    some kind of zig-zag pattern from their head to tail. There have been only 14 recorded fatalities resulting from an adder bite in the UK since 1876.

seriously? Empty Re: seriously?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:04 pm

In his specific case the anaphylatic shock was likely worse than the venom. Adders are pretty mild. Maybe his heart was in the right place but his head certainly was not. Unless you have quite a bit of experience handling snakes, picking up and moving one which you suspect to be venomous is NOT the smart choice.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Venomous snakes 101 for anyone that is interested. Look at the face in the pic. Note the verticle pupil similar to a cat eye. Also [and it is only mildly defined in this pic] note the heat sensing pit which looks like a somewhat exagerrated nostril. ALL native venomous snakes in the USA, with the exception of the easily identified coral snake, have these features. Round pupil, solid color eye with no pupil visible, and absence of the pit indicate that the snake is not a member of the pit viper family. These features are a much better indicator of the type of snake than color. Snakes, like people, can have skin tones that vary qute a bit. Light brown, dark brown , nearly black can all be regional variations of the same species.
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm glad the guy lived, though it was certainly through no fault of his own. Sheesh.

Hey, didja gno that there are no poisonous snakes up here in Maine?

It's too far north for them.

(bet scott gnew)

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:02 am

"Through no fault of his own". seriously? 130642 Very true. He did nothing to contribute to his own survival. I have an aunt that collects stories like this in what she refers to as evidence of natural selection. Things like drunk man drowns in accident while swimming at night in the ocean during an electrical storm.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 pm

http://www.startribune.com/nation/98790124.html?elr=KArks:DCiUMEaPc:UiacyKUnciaec8O7EyUr
    Latest story from my aunt. This is worse than the snake one. Instead of just reacting poorly to a dangerous situation [ie look a venomous snake let me pick it up], these people went out and created a dangersous situation all on their own.
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Scott wrote:Venomous snakes 101 for anyone that is interested. Look at the face in the pic. Note the verticle pupil similar to a cat eye. Also [and it is only mildly defined in this pic] note the heat sensing pit which looks like a somewhat exagerrated nostril. ALL native venomous snakes in the USA, with the exception of the easily identified coral snake, have these features. Round pupil, solid color eye with no pupil visible, and absence of the pit indicate that the snake is not a member of the pit viper family. These features are a much better indicator of the type of snake than color. Snakes, like people, can have skin tones that vary qute a bit. Light brown, dark brown , nearly black can all be regional variations of the same species.
    Good to know. I don't want to get that close however, to finally discover the viper! It seems so obvious but never knew that about the pupil shape.
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Scott wrote:http://www.startribune.com/nation/98790124.html?elr=KArks:DCiUMEaPc:UiacyKUnciaec8O7EyUr
    Latest story from my aunt. This is worse than the snake one. Instead of just reacting poorly to a dangerous situation [ie look a venomous snake let me pick it up], these people went out and created a dangersous situation all on their own.

What the what???? Yes, modern medicine has screwed up natural selection is cases like these. Can you be so stupid you could be classified as too dangerous to be out in society?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am