Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+10
piXy
claudicici
SonicG
LoveEndsWar
ROCKDAWG
Heroine
AndresEscobar
the tapu
dangrsmind
Percy
14 posters

Petition Hopes to Bring Justice To Homicide Case

dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

Petition Hopes to Bring Justice To Homicide Case - Page 5 Empty Re: Petition Hopes to Bring Justice To Homicide Case

Post by dangrsmind Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 pm

People pretend to be people they are not on the Internet all the time. Should that be a crime?

Unless the imitation is part of committing another crime, i.e. identity fraud, it isn't.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Petition Hopes to Bring Justice To Homicide Case - Page 5 Empty Re: Petition Hopes to Bring Justice To Homicide Case

Post by claudicici Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:02 am

....yes,it's a crime I think,it resulted in the death of the girl...a grown up woman should know what first love means to a girl...what this woman did was viscious I think and criminal and most of all immature...I can't even begin to imagine what she was thinking,,,
    dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

Post by dangrsmind Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:10 am

"resulted in the death of a little girl"

If that was the case, then she should have been charged with and tried for murder. And that would have been up to the prosecutors in Missouri to pursue.

The charges in the trial in California had to do with her act of imitation being a violation of the MySpace terms of service, nothing more since she wasn't ever accused of any crime in Missouri.

I don't think people should go to jail just for violating a website's ToS, except when that violation is clearly linked to another crime. That wasn't the case here.

Perhaps we need to have separate conversation about her and this story somewhere else, but just to be clear I'm no fan of Lori Drew; I think she is repulsive on many levels.

But I don't think being mean or repulsive should be a crime.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:47 am

dangrsmind wrote:"resulted in the death of a little girl"

If that was the case, then she should have been charged with and tried for murder. And that would have been up to the prosecutors in Missouri to pursue.

The charges in the trial in California had to do with her act of imitation being a violation of the MySpace terms of service, nothing more since she wasn't ever accused of any crime in Missouri.

I don't think people should go to jail just for violating a website's ToS, except when that violation is clearly linked to another crime. That wasn't the case here.

Perhaps we need to have separate conversation about her and this story somewhere else, but just to be clear I'm no fan of Lori Drew; I think she is repulsive on many levels.

But I don't think being mean or repulsive should be a crime.
    Exactly.

Claudi I see your point but you have to think about PRECEDENT when you start charging people for things like that. It can QUICKLY become a slippery slope.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 pm

back to the book that Emma's mother wrote and dedicated to Emma. makes me wonder if Emma was sexually abused or assaulted. I know it has been brought up before, and could very well be why Emma was so angry and involved in the life she chose to get into. jmho

Post by Guest Fri May 07, 2010 1:00 pm

Students: No death penalty in Longwood slayings

Posted to: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

myvid = "186249";
    mypath = "/simpleview";

[color:e4ed=#000][X]

Click a thumbnail to view the full-size image. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Close Gallery

Petition Hopes to Bring Justice To Homicide Case - Page 5 357641

Richard Alden Samuel McCroskey III, 20, is suspected of killing four people in Farmville, Va. He faces capital murder charges in the Sept. 18 slayings. (MySpace photo).
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Associated Press
    ©️ May 7, 2010

RICHMOND
    Some former students of a slain Longwood University professor are asking prosecutors not to seek the death penalty against the man accused of killing her and her family.
    Debra Kelley, her 16-year-old daughter Emma Niederbrock, Emma's father Mark, and Emma's 18-year-old friend Melanie Wells of Inwood, W.Va., were found bludgeoned to death in Kelley's Farmville home in September.
    Emma's boyfriend, 21-year-old Richard "Sam" McCroskey III of Castro Valley, Calif., has been charged in connection with the deaths.
    Two of Kelley's former students, Jessica and Scott Hintz, started an online petition asking prosecutors to seek a life sentence for McCroskey.
    They say Kelley was opposed to capital punishment and a death penalty in the case would dishonor her memory.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Fri May 07, 2010 9:06 pm

Good job Scott, I am glad your efforts are getting some attention. headbang
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sat May 08, 2010 1:15 am

I wished they would have linked to the petition....and had a picture of Debra with the article!

Post by Guest Sat May 08, 2010 7:17 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Petition asks prosecutor to not seek death in quadruple murder

Posted:

wnRenderDate('Friday, May 7, 2010 9:34 PM EST', '', true);

May 07, 2010 9:34 PM EDT
    Updated:

wnRenderDate('Friday, May 7, 2010 11:00 PM EST', '', true);

May 07, 2010 11:00 PM EDT

By Tara Morgan - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - An unusual plea in the Farmville quadruple murder case: a petition asking the prosecutor not to seek the death penalty.
    Suspect Richard Sam McCroskey is accused of bludgeoning to death four people last September. His trial date could be set next month.
    Two former students of one of the victims: Longwood professor Debra Kelley, created the online petition. They say they're not trying to free McCroskey, but honor Kelley's beliefs in not supporting capital punishment.
    More than 80 signatures so far on "Debra's Convictions" online petition including former students of the murdered Longwood Professor. Number 54: Richard Sam McCroskey's sister. The first two: Scott Hintz and his wife. Scott says they created it, not to diminish the heinous crime, but to give Debra Kelley a voice.
    "I know she did not support capital punishment. She didn't believe it was uniformly applied. She didn't believe it was a deterrent to crime," said Scott Hintz.
    McCroskey is accused of killing Kelley, her estranged husband Mark Niederbrock, their daughter Emma and her friend Melanie Wells eight months ago. The Hintz' sent a letter to the prosecutor asking him to consider life in prison without the possibility of parole for McCroskey.
    "We need to punish the people for murder and protect society, and I think both those goals are served by a life time of incarceration and life in prison is not getting away with anything," said Hintz.
    Our legal expert, Steven Benjamin says such a petition is rare and when considering the death penalty, Benjamin says a prosecutor looks at many factors including the criminal background and the family's wishes.
    "I think the value of this petition, it notifies the prosecutor that this particular victim was not in favor of capital punishment but he can't forget the fact that this is one of several victims," said Benjamin.
    Scott Hintz says he hasn't heard back from the prosecutor. Our call to the Prince Edward Commonwealth's Attorney was not returned.
    A trial date may be set next month, McCroskey's attorney says he's still waiting for the results of his client's mental evaluation among other tests.
    Copyright 2010 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Post by Guest Sat May 08, 2010 9:34 am

tv broadcast

Post by Guest Sat May 08, 2010 9:52 am

also look on
    wtvr.com
    They interviewed me as well as another Longwood professor and several students.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Sat May 08, 2010 10:42 am

"If possible, I think he should get the electric chair because I think
    he needs to suffer. He clearly tortured them", says Longwood University
    student Morgan Brannock.

What is this student talking about? Is there some information about the victims being tortured, or is the student just referring to the brutal way they were murdered?

Post by Guest Sat May 08, 2010 11:02 am

No one was tortured. She is either referring to the brutal nature in which they were killed or she is misinformed.
    As a side note the electric chair is actually easier in most cases for the person being killed. It is messy but very quick. Lethal injection was set up to be easier on the correctional officers that were doing the killing.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat May 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Did you all see the ridiculous comments at the end of the story LOL.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Sat May 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Scott wrote:No one was tortured. She is either referring to the brutal nature in which they were killed or she is misinformed.
    As a side note the electric chair is actually easier in most cases for the person being killed. It is messy but very quick. Lethal injection was set up to be easier on the correctional officers that were doing the killing.

My son and I were talking about this the other day, when we had to put our dog to sleep. Isn't that the same method they use as lethal injection -- the large sedative, then the shot that immediately stops the heart? It only takes five seconds to stop the heart, in a dog anyway.

Although they both might be pretty instantaneous, I would think electrocution would be more painful. I would also think it was harder emotionally/mentally. I think it happens so quickly there is no recognition of pain but if you could freeze everything after the switch is flipped but before it kills the person . . . I would think it hurts.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sun May 09, 2010 1:41 am

I did not see any comments at the end of the article.
    I'm so glad the petition is getting some media attention.
    It's such a powerful way to let Debra speak.I know there are 4 victims but considering Mark was a pastor he should share the opinion because of his religion.
    I don't think Mel and Emma would forgive Sam ,Scott told me that he is convinced Debra would still value Sam's life even though he did not value hers.
    Even if it does not help Sam's case in the end it's such a meaningful message to him ,I can't think of any sentence they could give him that could have a greater impact on him.

Post by Guest Sun May 09, 2010 1:51 am

Kay wrote:
    Scott wrote:No one was tortured. She is either referring to the brutal nature in which they were killed or she is misinformed.

My son and I were talking about this the other day, when we had to put our dog to sleep. Isn't that the same method they use as lethal injection -- the large sedative, then the shot that immediately stops the heart? It only takes five seconds to stop the heart, in a dog anyway.

Although they both might be pretty instantaneous, I would think electrocution would be more painful. I would also think it was harder emotionally/mentally. I think it happens so quickly there is no recognition of pain but if you could freeze everything after the switch is flipped but before it kills the person . . . I would think it hurts.
    Look at the video link I posted here under the heading "Capital Punishment".

Post by Guest Sun May 09, 2010 8:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Started By Former Students Of Slain Professor&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

From news channel 8 in Richmond. It has a very nice picture of Mark and Debra when they were younger with Emma when she was just a baby.
    If you have trouble with the link the video is on wric.com home page.
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Mon May 10, 2010 12:15 am

Yay Scott! You made the public exposure happen; that's some good work and with the best of noble intentions and I salute you.

You are right, that is a very, very sweet picture of the Niederbrock family. Sad No more Christmas dinners and birthday celebrations for them. It is very sad.

Happy Mother's Day Debra. Sad
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Mon May 10, 2010 1:59 pm

I wonder if the prosecution might seek the death penalty for some of the murders, but not for the others? For instance, ask for life in Debra's murder but the death penalty for one or more of the others.

Post by Guest Mon May 10, 2010 2:14 pm

Kay wrote:I wonder if the prosecution might seek the death penalty for some of the murders, but not for the others? For instance, ask for life in Debra's murder but the death penalty for one or more of the others.
    I suppose that is possible but it would kind of defeat the purpose.
    Mr. Ennis, the Commonwealth Attorney prosecuting the case, has a lot to consider and with any murder case it is really a terrible task to be charged wtih. He has to try to fix something that is unfixable. No one wins. Everyone is hurting. Everyone has an opinion. No matter what happens with a plea or in a trial there is no happy ending.
    I think Mr. Ennis is doing a great job.
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Mon May 10, 2010 4:11 pm

It's nice to hear that kind of confidence in the Prosecutor. I wholly agree what that post Scott.
    piXy
    piXy

Post by piXy Wed May 12, 2010 8:30 pm

thanks for the new info guys!!!!!

Post by Guest Wed May 26, 2010 4:43 pm

106 signatures as of today [less rejected / deleted ones]
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Wed May 26, 2010 9:17 pm

What is your goal again? Do you have a number you are shooting for? You should start a facebook page with a link...plenty of people out there who share your POV.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm