Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

3 posters

Undercover FEDS working on social networking sites raises questions:

Percy
    Percy

Undercover FEDS working on social networking sites raises questions: Empty Undercover FEDS working on social networking sites raises questions:

Post by Percy Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:43 pm

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/undercover-feds-on-facebook?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29#ixzz0iQRw7dXf

Undercover Feds on Social Networking Sites Raise Questions

Undercover FEDS working on social networking sites raises questions: Facebook-front-page-300x243
    The next time someone tries to “friend” you on Facebook, it may turn out to
    be an undercover fed looking to examine your private messages and photos, or
    surveil your friends and family. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has obtained
    an internal Justice Department document that describes what law enforcement is
    doing on social networking sites.
    The 33-page document shows that law enforcement agents from local police to
    the FBI and Secret Service have been logging
    on to MySpace and other sites undercover
    to communicate with suspects, read
    private postings and view photos and videos that are restricted to a user’s
    friends.
    The document also describes techniques for verifying alibis — such as
    checking messages posted by a suspect on Twitter disclosing his whereabouts at
    the time a crime was committed — and uncovering information that might point to
    illegal activity, such as photos depicting a suspect with expensive jewelry, a
    new car or even a weapon.
    The document says evidence from social networking sites can:
  • Reveal personal communications
  • Establish motives and personal relationships
  • Provide location information
  • Prove and disprove alibis
  • Establish crime or criminal enterprise
    The investigative techniques were part of a slide presentation titled “Obtaining
    and Using Evidence from Social Networking Sites
    ” (.pdf) given last year by
    John Lynch, deputy chief of the Justice Department’s Computer Crime and
    Intellectual Property division to describe how valuable social networking sites
    can be to give law enforcement access to non-public information. The cops can
    also map social relationships and networks, among other things. The document
    does not include guidance or cautionary notes on how to conduct an investigation
    responsibly using these services, though it acknowledges the problematic nature
    of using an assumed identity to open an account with a social networking
    site.
    “Can failure to follow [terms of service] render access unauthorized?” the
    document asks. “If agents violate terms of service, is that ‘otherwise illegal
    activity’?”

Agents who create fake accounts to communicate with suspects under an assumed
    identity could create a conundrum for the Justice Department, which prosecuted Lori
    Drew in 2008
    for essentially doing the same thing. Drew was charged with
    computer fraud and abuse for violating MySpace’s terms of service when she
    conspired with two others to create a fake MySpace account under the identity of
    a teenage boy in order to communicate with a teenage girl named Megan Meyer.
    The account was used to bully Meyer, who then committed suicide. Drew was
    found guilty of three misdemeanors by a Los Angeles jury, but the judge
    eventually overturned the
    convictions
    on grounds that the federal law was constitutionally vague.
    Facebook’s terms of service prohibit users from providing false personal
    information to the site, as does MySpace.
    In the offline world, agents involved in an investigation can’t impersonate a
    suspect’s spouse, child, parent or best friend, the Associated
    Press notes
    . But online they can.
    “This new situation presents a need for careful oversight so that law
    enforcement does not use social networking to intrude on some of our most
    personal relationships,” said Marc Zwillinger, a former federal prosecutor told
    the news outlet.
    The document also discusses the value to prosecutors of using social
    networking sites to obtain information on the background of defense witnesses,
    though it cautions that the same sites could be “potential pitfalls” in that
    defense attorneys could also use them to background prosecution witnesses.
    Another document obtained by EFF is a syllabus for a training course for
    employees of the Internal Revenue Service describing the use of social
    networking sites and Google
    Street View to investigate taxpayers
    . (.pdf) The syllabus notes, however,
    that IRS employees are prohibited from using deception or fake online accounts
    to obtain information about taxpayers and generally limits employees to using
    publicly available information.
    “In civil matters, employees cannot misrepresent their identities, even on
    the Internet,” the document states. “You cannot obtain information from websites
    by registering using fictitious identities.”

• Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/undercover-feds-on-facebook?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29#ixzz0iUZv9PfL
    ziggy
    ziggy

Undercover FEDS working on social networking sites raises questions: Empty Re: Undercover FEDS working on social networking sites raises questions:

Post by ziggy Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:30 am

Wow. I never friend anyone on FB unless I actually know them IRL. Why in God's name would I want to see a bunch of blah blah posted by people I don't know? I know that friends who are promoting their businesses and services will use it as a marketing tool, but their FB pages are all very professional. I just keep my real friends and family there to keep in touch and stay connected.

I'm sure they are looking for terrorists (you know that Patriot act thing). Well, I think I have a sleeper cell in my own family - come to think of it, he's the one without a FB page hmmm.
    the tapu
    the tapu

Undercover FEDS working on social networking sites raises questions: Empty Re: Undercover FEDS working on social networking sites raises questions:

Post by the tapu Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:53 am

ziggy wrote:

I'm sure they are looking for terrorists (you know that Patriot act thing). Well, I think I have a sleeper cell in my own family - come to think of it, he's the one without a FB page hmmm.

I hope for your sake the FBI didn't just pick up on that. (Look busy.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:01 pm