Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

judge strikes down california ban on same sex marriage

judge strikes down california ban on same sex marriage Empty judge strikes down california ban on same sex marriage

Post by Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:09 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/california.same.sex.ruling/index.html?hpt=T1
    Anyone care to weigh in?
    I'll go...
    Good ruling by the judge. I hope it does go to the supreme court, the court declares that the government has no business regulating private relationships between consenting adults, 44 states have to change their antiquated laws, and we as a nation can move on and discuss something else.
    Even if that does not happen now in this case, same sex marriage will ultimatly be legal in every state. In another generation it will seems absurd to people that this was ever an issue just as now it seems absurd that once in this nation there were two water fountains labeled "white" and "colored."
    bobskat
    bobskat

judge strikes down california ban on same sex marriage Empty Re: judge strikes down california ban on same sex marriage

Post by bobskat Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:10 pm

As a California resident who voted against this law (Read I don’t think the Government should dictate who should be allowed to get married) I’m a bit torn about the decision. I would have preferred to see a new campaign to overturn the law and get the voters to see the light.

That being said, I agree with Scott. We need to lighten up about what is the definition of a marriage. For close to 20 years now (17 I think) I have believed that in order for all people to be treated as equals we need to either change the laws so

• Heterosexual couples who are not married can have the same rights as married couples
    • To be able to make life choices for their partner if said partner is sick without having a power of attorney
    • To be able to allow them to be on each other’s insurance
    • Some companies allow gay couples to do this but not straight unless married
    • Allow gay couples to be married and recognize the marriage as a legal one with the same live benefits as straight couples.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:40 pm