Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

web cam leads to suicide

web cam leads to suicide Empty web cam leads to suicide

Post by Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:10 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/30/new.jersey.student.suicide/index.html?hpt=T1

Is this morally wrong? Certainly. It is illegal. That is a lot tougher. Would have to look at specific NJ law they are being charged with. Putting a web cam in someones room to spy on them could be a legal problem. Is it the same problem if it is also your room you are putting the camera in as it appears to be in this case? I don't know. I am asking.

I fear this kind of thing will happen more and more as technology improves and it is possible to spread information so much faster. The only thing that would really prevent this sort of thing is if people would develop enough of a moral compass that they treated each other with respect. I don't see that happening.
    ziggy
    ziggy

web cam leads to suicide Empty Re: web cam leads to suicide

Post by ziggy Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Heartbreaking. Illegal? Should be. Invasion of privacy. Perhaps a wrongful death civil suit?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:46 pm

I was actually thinking along those lines.

From www.wrongfuldeathlawfirms.com [yes there are firms that specialize in this specific kind of case]

"In a civil case, the evidence must prove the elements of the case “by a preponderance of the evidence” which is actually a very low standard. In a wrongful death case, that means that the evidence must prove it is more than 50% likely that the negligent party recklessly caused the death"

I think they have it in front of a jury.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:27 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/nyregion/02suicide.html

May be more of a criminal case here than I had previously suspected. Looks like NJ has some criminal code that may be applied in this case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 am