Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

5 posters

Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium

Percy
    Percy

Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium Empty Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:48 am

RIP.

Reports: Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium
    Orange County Fire Rescue responded to the theme park.

By Bianca Prieto and Amy L. Edwards, Orlando Sentinel
    3:19 PM EST, February 24, 2010

A pair of killer whales practice for a show at SeaWorld in this file photo. (JULIE FLETCHER, ORLANDO SENTINEL / December 30, 2005)

One person is dead at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium, following an incident this afternoon, an Orange County Sheriff's Office official confirmed.

Orange County Fire Rescue responded to SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium this afternoon on report of a person who was not breathing.

Details about the incident are not yet available, but a Sheriff's Office official confirmed it is a death investigation.

A local TV station is reporting that a female trainer was killed after she was grabbed by one of the theme park's whales at the start of a public show.

Park guest Victoria Biniak told Local 6 that the trainer was a veteran of SeaWorld and had just finished explaining to the audience the show they were about to see.

At that point, Biniak said, the whale came up from the water, grabbed the trainer around the waist and "thrashed her all around" to the point the trainer's shoe fell off.

Guests were evacuated and were later told the park was shut down, Biniak told Local 6.

Rescue personnel were called to the theme park at 2 p.m. Calls to SeaWorld and Orange County Fire Rescue were not immediately returned.

The Sheriff's Office is en route.

Check back for more information.

http://www.fox59.com/news/nationworl...,2841137.story
    wadahoot
    wadahoot

Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium Empty Re: Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium

Post by wadahoot Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:01 am

How terribly sad for all involved. I know the animal is wild, and as PETA pointed out, Sea World keeps these massive animals in what is virtually a bathtub for their size. Many are also kept separate from each other, even though in the wild they are pod animals. (I don't agree with everything PETA says, that's for sure, but this one strikes a chord)
    I do not mind that animals are in zoo-like facilities, as long as they are treated well and with respect AND have more-than-adequate lodgings. I really do believe that the interaction with the majority of humans helps to foster a love and respect of animals. Of course, the breeding programs for endangered animals is amazing, it goes without saying.
    All-in-all a sad day. Sad
    Updated article onDawn
    ericclimbs
    ericclimbs

Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium Empty Serial Killer Whale

Post by ericclimbs Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:12 pm

This same whale has killed twice before:

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/killer-whale-that-killed-seaworld-trainer-was-involved-in-2-other-deaths/19372534

I'm sure this type thing is extremely rare but still -- if you play with giant beasts you can get hurt. . .or killed.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium Empty Re: Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium

Post by claudicici Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:55 pm

I'd be pretty pissed off too if i'd weigh 1000's of pounds and were made to swim around in circles all day
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 pm

claudicici wrote:I'd be pretty pissed off too if i'd weigh 1000's of pounds and were made to swim around in circles all day

The whole idea of animals in cages or small spaces just really kills me. I have a parrot that a buddhist monk gave me because someone gave it to him because they couldnt take care of it and he couldnt keep it at his temple for various reasons and anyway, the original owner had it cooped up in his tiny little cage and he coudl barely move around and whenever he went to feed him he would bite the shit of the guy, well duh its no wonder. Now that I have him I never shut the door on his VERY LARGE and roomy cage and he spends all day sitting on top of the outside of the cage perfectly well behaved and happy eating his peanuts and he will fly over while im here on the comp and sit on my shoulder then fly back when it strikes his fancy. He is a really good little guy with a lot of character. I would never buy a bird because I dont think birds belong in homes or in cages but they should be flying free but since he is already domesticated and he was given to me I take good care of him and he seems happy and comfortable. The whole idea of animals as pets to amuse us just doesnt sit well with me though, I rescue cats when I can and take care of them but I wouldnt have it this way if it were up to me. The animals would be free and left alone to do their natural thing. Whats worse is a damn whale in a swimming pool, how idiotic is that, and all for the amusement of a bunch of idiot people.

Last edited by Paximus on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 pm

ditto....
    we had two parrots they had their own room,my dad inherited them from an old friend.
    it's so awesome for kids to be able to be close to animals and it's ok if the animal is already domesticated.
    but a whale?? shouldn't we worry about that their naural habitat doesn't go completely to shit if it's not too late instead of putting them in fish bowls?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 am

When something like this happens, I always wonder what were the last thoughts/feelings of the person killed? She had enough knowledge to know what was happening. Did she realize "this was it?" Did she know she was going to drown? Witnesses reported that they heard her screaming. Crying or Very sad
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:51 am

The Kay wrote:When something like this happens, I always wonder what were the last thoughts/feelings of the person killed? She had enough knowledge to know what was happening. Did she realize "this was it?" Did she know she was going to drown? Witnesses reported that they heard her screaming. Female trainer killed in whale attack at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium Icon_cry

Excellent question, Kay, I think people in such professions go to work everyday prepared for something like that and believe the rewards outweigh the risks, the one thing she can probably be proud of is that she had the good fortune to die doing what she loved, if we could all only be so lucky.

Tragic nonetheless.
    bandersnatch45
    bandersnatch45

Post by bandersnatch45 Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 pm

What wine goes with whale?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 pm

bandersnatch45 wrote:What wine goes with whale?

I thought I already answered that...a nice chardonnay.
    bandersnatch45
    bandersnatch45

Post by bandersnatch45 Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:10 pm

earthenjug wrote:
    bandersnatch45 wrote:What wine goes with whale?

I thought I already answered that...a nice chardonnay.

i dunno, whale is rather fatty, so maybe something more aggressive like a pinot grigio or veltliner. well chilled, of course.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 am