Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+6
dangrsmind
TandT
ziggy
blouAngel
Mags
Percy
10 posters

Kitchen Tools

Percy
    Percy

Kitchen Tools - Page 2 Empty Re: Kitchen Tools

Post by Percy Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Mags wrote:Should have known me ten years ago, Pax. I sold a twelve piece set at my garage sale for ten bucks. I knew what they were worth, but I simply couldn't lift them anymore. The look on the buyers face made up for it. Kitchen Tools - Page 2 Icon_wink

Wow thats cool, someone got a good deal, if they knew what they were then they were probably quite excited indeed. The good Griswolds, can sell for a couple hundred each in good condition and depending on the model and whether they have lids or not.

Post by karma Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:08 pm

The Kay wrote:
    bandersnatch45 wrote:bread machine. nuff said.

I really, really want a bread machine. Except I'm smart enough to know that I'd eat every loaf before it had a chance to cool down. Sad

You say that like it's a problem. Warm bread is a good thing!
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Paximus wrote:
    Mags wrote:Should have known me ten years ago, Pax. I sold a twelve piece set at my garage sale for ten bucks. I knew what they were worth, but I simply couldn't lift them anymore. The look on the buyers face made up for it. Kitchen Tools - Page 2 Icon_wink

Wow thats cool, someone got a good deal, if they knew what they were then they were probably quite excited indeed. The good Griswolds, can sell for a couple hundred each in good condition and depending on the model and whether they have lids or not.
    Oh, I don't remember what they were. They were from the '30's, a few from the '50's. Well traveled, well used, and still in perfect shape, seasoned to perfection.

I can't be sad about it, they went to a good home. Better that than sitting in the garage unused. That would be a horrible waste.

I've since picked up a few pieces out of SalAm and antique shops. Mostly for fireplace use. And the cauldron I just couldn't live without. heh.
    wadahoot
    wadahoot

Post by wadahoot Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:12 am

http://tinyurl.com/yjkjrxn One of my favorite kitchen gadgets is a 2/3 cup measuring cup. It's not that big a deal to use 1/3 cup twice, but it's just a nice little way to making cooking easier. Mine are Tupperware and they still make a set, although mine are blah and not at all sexy like the new style. Heh.
    Anita
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:21 pm

I thought the Griswold thing was just here on the East Coast. They sell for ridiculously high prices, but you can still find them at yard sales. Cast iron from different areas or makers can have different chemical compositions and grain structures, but it's hard for me to believe that a Griswold pan is that different from another good iron pan. That said, my favorite pan is a mid-70's Le Crueset cast iron pan that I think was made for omelettes. It has a wooden handle an it's enameled on the outside but on the inside. It cooks a perfect egg and the sides are sloped so that it's easy to flip things without a spatula.

My other favorite kitchen tools are my cheap Old Hickory knife that I bought nearly 30 years ago. They don't seem to make the french chef's knife model any more, but it's worth finding an old one. I've used lots of knives and it is sharper and handles better than any other kitchen knife I've used. It rusts if it isn't dried off after use, but in my view, anyone who can't care for their tools shouldn't be allowed to use them anyway. I give fancy European knives as gifts, but I use the wooden handled cheapie. I found a source of antique handforged carbon steel Thiers-Issard Sabatier knives with rosewood handles, which being forged would likely be a better knife than the one that I have which has a rolled steel blade, so I may splurge on that some day. Since I'm a cheapskate, I'll probably forge my own. It isn't that big of a deal and I can get exactly what I want that way.

Lastly, the suribachi, an excellent Japanese mortar and pestle. Can't cook without it.
    Kitchen Tools - Page 2 Suribachi.MortarPestle

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:39 pm

M-I-C-R-O-W-A-V-E
    Kitchen Tools - Page 2 Icon_razz
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:43 pm

I had that omelette pan, left it with the ex. I was never terribly successful with it. It was orange/red on the outside and white on the inside. I also have, and kept for myself, oval chicken fryer type thingie. I don't know all of different designations.........it's about 3qts, cast iron in the same red-blending-into-orange, has a lid. It's perfect for anything in the oven. It's the only thing I use for pot roast, roast chicken, baked mac & cheese, etc.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:54 pm

You must have had something slightly different if yours was enameled on the inside. I've never had good luck with a frying pan like that. Mine is very finely grained well seasoned bare iron. I also have their 3 qt pan enameled inside and out with a hard plastic handle on the lid which I've always thought wouldn't survive in the oven. That pan is wonderful for long slow cooking on the stove top. It's really expensive stuff, or I'd go out and buy more. I never see any in antique or thrift stores or I'd have more for sure.
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Well dammit, I'm wrong. The fryer says Belgium on the bottom. Looks just like lecruset, but has an iron handle. I thought it was just an older style. It's amazing.

I could never do anything but burn food in the enameled omelette pan. I cant check it's pedigree.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:51 pm

blouAngel wrote:I thought the Griswold thing was just here on the East Coast. They sell for ridiculously high prices, but you can still find them at yard sales. Cast iron from different areas or makers can have different chemical compositions and grain structures, but it's hard for me to believe that a Griswold pan is that different from another good iron pan. That said, my favorite pan is a mid-70's Le Crueset cast iron pan that I think was made for omelettes. It has a wooden handle an it's enameled on the outside but on the inside. It cooks a perfect egg and the sides are sloped so that it's easy to flip things without a spatula.

My other favorite kitchen tools are my cheap Old Hickory knife that I bought nearly 30 years ago. They don't seem to make the french chef's knife model any more, but it's worth finding an old one. I've used lots of knives and it is sharper and handles better than any other kitchen knife I've used. It rusts if it isn't dried off after use, but in my view, anyone who can't care for their tools shouldn't be allowed to use them anyway. I give fancy European knives as gifts, but I use the wooden handled cheapie. I found a source of antique handforged carbon steel Thiers-Issard Sabatier knives with rosewood handles, which being forged would likely be a better knife than the one that I have which has a rolled steel blade, so I may splurge on that some day. Since I'm a cheapskate, I'll probably forge my own. It isn't that big of a deal and I can get exactly what I want that way.

Lastly, the suribachi, an excellent Japanese mortar and pestle. Can't cook without it.
    Kitchen Tools - Page 2 Suribachi.MortarPestle

Mortar and pestle=crucial indeed I have a nice brass set that I love very much. A buddhist monk gave it to me.

Griswold's are a pretty big deal out here too but most people dont know them from any other iron cookware so you can find them at yard sales for ten dollars, clean up and resell for a couple hundred sometimes. I dont sell mine, I have about 75 Griswolds right now, someday I will set up at the antique fair and sell them perhaps but I like collecting them for now. There really is a difference between a Griswold and everything else and its all in the cooking surface, the griswold cooking surface is just very special, almost polished smooth, the other brands just dont compare. I dont know what sort of foreign brands are out there that might be as good or better than Griswolds but for American made it is indeed the best there is and worth the money.

Funny you mention it but I use the same Old Hickory knife that my grandfather gave me years ago, very well made knife, nothing fancy like you can buy in the store today and it does indeed rust like crazy if you dont care for it and keep it oiled, but I agree, I have found nothing that holds an edge like it does.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Paximus wrote:.... I dont sell mine, I have about 75 Griswolds right now... .

Damn, I had almost convinced myself you weren't completely insane and you had to go and write that. Kitchen Tools - Page 2 894413
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Kitchen Tools - Page 2 DSCN0270

The Old Hickory Knife I use is the one at the top and it will someday look like the one in the middle if I keep sharpening it all the time lol.

Last edited by Paximus on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:11 pm

blouAngel wrote:
    Paximus wrote:.... I dont sell mine, I have about 75 Griswolds right now... .

Damn, I had almost convinced myself you weren't completely insane and you had to go and write that. Kitchen Tools - Page 2 894413

LOL dont let my wife see that comment it will only strengthen her argument that I need to get rid of shit lol.

They are getting harder to find, I figure they will send a kid to college if I hold out another 15 years lol.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:34 pm

I actually love my Princess House (crystal) miracle casserole dish.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 pm

earthenjug wrote:I actually love my Princess House (crystal) miracle casserole dish.

With a name that includes princess and miracle, I just had to look that up. I expected unicorns for some reason or at least a rainbow. What does it do that's so miraculous?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 pm

blouAngel wrote:
    earthenjug wrote:I actually love my Princess House (crystal) miracle casserole dish.

With a name that includes princess and miracle, I just had to look that up. I expected unicorns for some reason or at least a rainbow. What does it do that's so miraculous?
    Its crystal, so its non-porous. so you put, say...a chicken in it. throw some rice on the bottom, season the chicken (btw, their miracle chicken seasoning is amazing) with the juice from 1 lemon (and apparantly that's all, we do things a little differently), put the lid on and cook in 350 degree oven for 30ish minutes. the chicken comes out amazing and the rice is perfectly cooked becasue the liquid from teh chicken stays in the casserole, it doesn't evaporate. In addition, in the last 15 minutes of baking you can flip the lid, put biscuits on it, and have a full meal. and clean up is easy. again: non porous so nothing sticks!
    Do I sound like an ad? I feel like I sound like an ad.
    we actually put rice in the bottom with a cup of cream of chicken soup, about a half a can of water, and put boneless/skinless chicken on top. 30-45 minutes later: perfection! Makes great broccoli/cheese/rice casserole too.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 am

Kitchen Tools - Page 2 Jamungrindfennel

I got this solid real heavy brass mortar and pestle from a buddhist monk from Thailand, it was used in one of their temples there for over 100 years and he came upon it as a gift from another senior monk and passed it on to me since they arent allowed to have many possessions and he knew I was a student of culinary arts, it is to this day one of the greatest gifts I have ever been given and they cost a pretty penny, its real heavy solid brass and I couldnt be without since I cook with a lot of garlic nd I love to mash it up for the oil in it, among others, It is good to see we have some chefs here. Always a good topic!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:55 pm