Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+6
bandersnatch45
Splendor Solis
TandT
TiffaniLane
Percy
dangrsmind
10 posters

What's for dinner?

dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

What's for dinner? Empty What's for dinner?

Post by dangrsmind Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:02 am

Post a description, pix, or a recipe.

Tonight pork adobo.
    Percy
    Percy

What's for dinner? Empty Re: What's for dinner?

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:26 am

dangrsmind wrote:Post a description, pix, or a recipe.

Tonight pork adobo.

You like to cook man? I took a years worth of classes at a local culinary arts school, was one of the coolest things I have ever done. I love to cook, wouldnt call myself a chef yet but I am definitely a committed student of the art.

I will see what I can come up with to contribute here. I like french food a lot.
    TiffaniLane
    TiffaniLane

Post by TiffaniLane Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:43 am

homemade salsa and black beans over a bed of rice with soft fried eggs on top and toast.
    dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

Post by dangrsmind Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:49 am

Paximus wrote:

Tonight pork adobo.

You like to cook man? I took a years worth of classes at a local culinary arts school, was one of the coolest things I have ever done. I love to cook, wouldnt call myself a chef yet but I am definitely a committed student of the art.

I will see what I can come up with to contribute here. I like french food a lot.

I like to cook and since these days I am the stay at home part of the family I do the majority of it. Came to love Adobo at this little hole in the wall sports bar we frequent during football season that makes it. I can't watch sports without thinking "Adobo" now. I mostly do Asian dishes and a few other items...

French always seems too hard and I've go to feed five kids that have differing taste buds...
    TandT

Post by TandT Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 am

For all you food aficionados, here is a link on the history of "REAL" barbecue ...

Hope you enjoy and are enlightened.... Very Happy

http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html

Last edited by TandT on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Splendor Solis
    Splendor Solis

Post by Splendor Solis Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:55 pm

This chili:

2 white onions, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1lb stew meat or ground beef
    1lb spicy sausage (I use Williams Hot)
    1 can chili Ro-Tel tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans (drained)
    1 can chili beans
    8 oz Spicy Hot V8
    Chili powder, salt, and pepper

Saute the onion and bell pepper with some olive oil and chili powder
    add the meat when the onions are translucent (season w/ S&P and chili powder)
    when the meat is almost cooked through, add the garlic
    Drain when the meat is cooked (sausage is greasy stuff) and put the meat back in the pot
    Add all canned ingredients and V8
    Season to taste
    Bring this mixutre up to boil, then reduce heat and simmer as long as you like
    It's even better the next day.

At least that's how I think I made it last time. I'm substituting some chili seasoning for the chili powder this time. We'll see how that goes.
    TandT

Post by TandT Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:01 pm

May I suggest:

Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup

6 – Cups defatted chicken broth
    1 – Cup sliced onions
    2 – Cup diced red potatoes
    1 – Large green pepper, diced
    4 – Teaspoons minced garlic
    4 – Boneless skinless chicken breast halves cut into thin strips
    2 – Can (14 oz) Mexican style stewed tomatoes
    2 – Teaspoon chopped jalapeno peppers
    1 – Teaspoon ground cumin
    4 – (6”) Corn tortillas (I use bagged tostidos (hint of lime))
    1 – Tablespoon lime juice
    ½ – Cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Olive oil no stick cooking spray

In a large soup pot over medium –high heat, bring ½ cup of the broth to a boil. Add the onions, potatoes, green peppers and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and stir for 1 minute. Add the stewed tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cumin and remaining 2½ cups of broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer the soup, uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat both sides of the tortillas with no stick cooking spray, cut them into this strips and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp. Add the lime juice and cilantro to the soup and top each bowl with the tortilla strips.

PER SERVING: 240 calories, 2.3 g fat (8% of calories), 2.3 g dietary fiber 34 mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium. Serves 8

The lime juice and cilantro give this soup an authentic taste and aroma. Sip a spoonful, close your eyes and you will be transported to a Yucatan beach restaurant.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:38 pm

dangrsmind wrote:
    Paximus wrote:

Tonight pork adobo.

I like to cook and since these days I am the stay at home part of the family I do the majority of it. Came to love Adobo at this little hole in the wall sports bar we frequent during football season that makes it. I can't watch sports without thinking "Adobo" now. I mostly do Asian dishes and a few other items...

French always seems too hard and I've go to feed five kids that have differing taste buds...

Yea French isnt for everyday home cookin, its a challenge I take on once in a while, I have had some good French food in my time though and it is hard to beat.

The monks I know that I have told you about are all very good Thai food cooks, I LOVE that spicey Thai food and I am learning to cook some very interesting dishes from them.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:40 pm

All these suggestions you have all offered sound very good, I am taking notes. I love beans of all kinds, a lot of things you can make with beans and rice.

My crockpot/slow cooker is my best friend. Like DM I am the stay at home part of the family, I work from home office so I also do most if not all of our cooking and I rather enjoy it to be honest.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:42 pm

TandT wrote:May I suggest:

1 – Cup sliced onions

In a large soup pot over medium –high heat, bring ½ cup of the broth to a boil. Add the onions, potatoes, green peppers and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and stir for 1 minute. Add the stewed tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cumin and remaining 2½ cups of broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer the soup, uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat both sides of the tortillas with no stick cooking spray, cut them into this strips and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp. Add the lime juice and cilantro to the soup and top each bowl with the tortilla strips.

PER SERVING: 240 calories, 2.3 g fat (8% of calories), 2.3 g dietary fiber 34 mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium. Serves 8

The lime juice and cilantro give this soup an authentic taste and aroma. Sip a spoonful, close your eyes and you will be transported to a Yucatan beach restaurant.

This sounds real good, also like Spendor's chili.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:44 pm

One of the best things I have ever done was to take the time to build myself a nice outdoor brick oven/grill, LOVE to BBQ and I find that the family eats more veggies when they are grilled rather than cooked in other ways. Grilled veggies are yummy and healthy.
    TandT

Post by TandT Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Paximus wrote:
    TandT wrote:May I suggest:

1 – Cup sliced onions

This sounds real good, also like Spendor's chili.

The first time i made this my children were 5 and 7 YO girls ... made a 4 service batch and we ate it all

the very next night i doubled everything made it again, and AGAIN, we ate it all ...

it is VERY GOOD
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:51 pm

I live in Arizona which is probably the Mexican food capital of the US, I know good Mexican food when I see it and I personally love it myself. This does indeed sound very good and I think I will be making some this weekend!
    TandT

Post by TandT Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Paximus wrote:I live in Arizona which is probably the Mexican food capital of the US, I know good Mexican food when I see it and I personally love it myself. This does indeed sound very good and I think I will be making some this weekend!

Of note, pax, i usually forego the tortilla strips in the oven in favor of TOSTITOS Restaurant Style with a Hint of Lime Tortilla Chips on the side instead of in the soup...
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 pm

TandT wrote:
    Paximus wrote:I live in Arizona which is probably the Mexican food capital of the US, I know good Mexican food when I see it and I personally love it myself. This does indeed sound very good and I think I will be making some this weekend!

Of note, pax, i usually forego the tortilla strips in the oven in favor of TOSTITOS Restaurant Style with a Hint of Lime Tortilla Chips on the side instead of in the soup...
    Hey that does sound like it would work well too. Will note it.
    bandersnatch45
    bandersnatch45

Post by bandersnatch45 Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 pm

grilled pork shoulder.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 pm

bandersnatch45 wrote:grilled pork shoulder.

Yummy, anything pork, it isnt until you really learn cooking that you come to appreciate pork, its the best meat there is really.
    dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

Post by dangrsmind Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Doing sushi tonight, but I'm not preparing it!
    TandT

Post by TandT Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:44 pm

very good, my friend..... although i do prefer 'smoking' to 'grilling' .... especially when using a very good wood (like apple wood or pecan)

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 pm

TandT wrote:

very good, my friend..... although i do prefer 'smoking' to 'grilling' .... especially when using a very good wood (like apple wood or pecan)
    Is smoking pork anything like smoking. . . no never mind
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 pm

TandT wrote:

Here in Arizona we have what we call Mesquite trees and the wood is absolutely the best wood for smoking, it really gives off a unique taste that you have to experience to appreciate. Also, I agree with apple and pecan wood, very good choices for smoking, esp pork shoulders.
    bandersnatch45
    bandersnatch45

Post by bandersnatch45 Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:14 am

TandT wrote:

i was kinda in a hurry so grilling was the thing.
    TandT

Post by TandT Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:48 am

Paximus wrote:
    TandT wrote:

Here in Arizona we have what we call Mesquite trees and the wood is absolutely the best wood for smoking, it really gives off a unique taste that you have to experience to appreciate. Also, I agree with apple and pecan wood, very good choices for smoking, esp pork shoulders.

i have used mesquite and hickory and apple and pecan and and and ..... Very Happy

i do love my smoker ... and NO BOB ... if you roll and smoke a pork shoulder (boston butt) it is NOT the same ... (Very Happy)

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:59 pm

sloppy joes! and hopefully leftover prime rib roast tomorrow!
    BTW: I want the recipe for pork adobo
    TandT

Post by TandT Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Had Celery Root "Anna" with Bacon and Olives (recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Celery-Root-Anna-with-Bacon-and-Olives-14456 ) yesterday with Searded Pork chops - ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT ... a GREAT combination - methinks you will enjoy ...

(and try this one too .... Celery Root and Apple Soup - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Celery-Root-and-Apple-Soup-239846 )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:59 am