Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

3 posters

Internet Sales Tax Laws.

Percy
    Percy

Internet Sales Tax Laws. Empty Internet Sales Tax Laws.

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:49 am

Won't be long before most states implement this.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...50/detail.html

As of March 1, the Internet is no longer free.

State lawmakers took a chunk out of the growing e-commerce pie by passing House Bill 1193 Wednesday, adding a 2.9 percent sales tax to Internet purchases made by Coloradans.

"This is a big deal. It really is. And it’s the broader question of whether or not it’s appropriate to tax Internet sales. And I gotta tell you, the people of Colorado are going to be really mad when they find out the Department of Revenue is sending them a bill for things that they’ve purchased online," said Sen. Greg Brophy, R-Wray.

Online retailers would be required to notify a Colorado shopper -- before they buy -- how much they owe in state sales and use taxes on the item they’re shopping for.

"Because really, those online stores aren’t sucking up any state services, are they? They’re not. So it’s probably not appropriate to even think about taxing things like that. What we really need to be doing is talking about reforming government and reforming our tax system," Brophy said.

The Colorado Department of Revenue would receive an annual report from each online retailer -- or “e-tailer” -- for the total amount of purchases made by each Colorado customer.

If the tax is not paid up front, state employees would then go about notifying those affected and collecting the taxes.

One bill sponsor told TheDenverChannel the idea is to allow smaller, brick-and-mortar shopkeepers to compete with larger, virtual marketplaces such as Amazon.com

"And if this continues, we’re going to have virtually no small merchants on main streets in this state. And that’s not the right way to do it. If they can’t compete that’s one thing but then to make them compete unfairly is another," said Sen. Rollie Heath, D-Boulder. "These local merchants are paying for our schools. They’re paying for our roads. And if you can save a lot of money on the Internet, that’s fine. Then you certainly can afford the 2.9 percent that you’re saving."

At the Sportsfan on Federal Boulevard in Denver, the news of a possible Internet sales tax was met with some optimism.

"Virtually all of my ordering is done through the Internet," said John Brennan, store manager. "As a traditional brick-and-mortar store it should help us. My gut feeling says it will help us."

House Bill 1193 now goes back to the House for a final vote.

A spokesman for Gov. Bill Ritter about support or opposition for the bill was not returned.

Virginia lawmakers are considering a similar measure while some have advocated a national Internet sales tax as well.
    ericclimbs
    ericclimbs

Internet Sales Tax Laws. Empty Re: Internet Sales Tax Laws.

Post by ericclimbs Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 am

I hope I'm wrong but I fear the government is going to increasingly implement laws, in the name of preventing "cyberterrorism," which will dramatically encroach upon the freedom of what we have been able to do here. I imagine them having the power of Iran or China to be able to just shut down our access whenever they so desire. . .

Snail mail anyone?
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 am

ericclimbs wrote:I hope I'm wrong but I fear the government is going to increasingly implement laws, in the name of preventing "cyberterrorism," which will dramatically encroach upon the freedom of what we have been able to do here. I imagine them having the power of Iran or China to be able to just shut down our access whenever they so desire. . .

Snail mail anyone?

I absolutely agree, we have had it made for a long time now but the next generation will not know or understand how nice we had it on the net all these years.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:03 am

ericclimbs wrote:I hope I'm wrong but I fear the government is going to increasingly implement laws, in the name of preventing "cyberterrorism," which will dramatically encroach upon the freedom of what we have been able to do here. I imagine them having the power of Iran or China to be able to just shut down our access whenever they so desire. . .

Snail mail anyone?

Remember who was carrying your mail back then?
    ericclimbs
    ericclimbs

Post by ericclimbs Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 am

blouAngel wrote:

Snail mail anyone?

Remember who was carrying your mail back then?

Blou were gonna need you to head up the Snail Mail forum when the Net gets shut down. Everyone will mail their comments to you. You would then xerox them all and re-distribute them to all the members, via snail mail. Members would then respond and return in kind. We would of course be able to donate money via Paypal, I mean these things called checks to compensate for the postal charges you would incur.

Thank you in advance.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:09 am

Were going to have to recruit a select group of hand carriers. The government could just as easily open or scan through envelopes any physical mail you send through the system they own.

Did you guys ever see the movie "The Postman?" Kevin Costner plays a guy who starts up the postal system after some sort of apocalyptic event that destroys the US. I only saw the previews but it was very memorable because I thought it had to be a parody of movies like what it turned out to be. The theater was full of people who sat silent for a minute after the preview ended and then all at once, the whole theater burst out laughing. I knew someone was going to be losing a pile of money on that one. I keep thinking I want to see it just to find out if it was rally as awful as it seemed.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:11 am

Oh, by the way, I only accept payment in silver. No gold, no platinum, and you can keep the god-damned diamonds too. SILVER please.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:12 am

blouAngel wrote:Oh, by the way, I only accept payment in silver. No gold, no platinum, and you can keep the god-damned diamonds too. SILVER please.

I have been investing my paper money in pre 1964 dimes, halves and quarters for years now, they are 90% silver as you know, I buy them by the roll every paycheck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:42 am