Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+2
ziggy
tapu
6 posters

roman polanski

roman polanski Empty roman polanski

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Roman Polanski victim: Director is not a threat, prosecution should end

July 13, 2010 | 7:45 am

roman polanski 6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a5a1386b970b-500piSamantha Geimer, who as a 13-year-old girl was at the center of the Roman Polanski sex case, called on prosecutors to halt the case against the famed director.
    "Enough is enough. This matter should have been resolved 33 years ago," she said in an interview with The Times on Monday night.
    Polanski had sex with Geimer at Jack Nicholson's home in 1977 -- sparking the epic case that appeared to end Monday when Swiss officials said they would not extradite the Oscar-winning director back to L.A. to face sentencing.
    Geimer, who has in the past publicly forgiven Polanski, said she can't understand why prosecutors continue to pursue the director, maintaining that he's not a threat to anyone.
    "At 76 years old? I don't think so."
    She was forbidden from talking about the civil-suit settlement she and Polanski reached, but said that didn't influence her opinion that the case should have been ended years ago.
    "People say I have ulterior motives," she said. "That doesn't make it true. I've felt this way from the beginning."
    In Los Angeles and Washington, however, officials vowed to continue their pursuit of Polanski, though their options are now significantly limited.
    “A 13-year-old girl was drugged and raped,” said State Department spokesman Philip Crowley. “This is not a matter of technicality.”
    The Swiss Federal Department of Justice and Police said the U.S. had failed to turn over certain documents requested by the Swiss.
    L.A. County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley, who led the effort to bring Polanski back to the U.S., said he was dumbfounded by the decision. “Mr. Polanski is still convicted of serious child sex charges,” Cooley said. "The Swiss could not have found a smaller hook on which to hang their hat.”
    -- Joe Mozingo
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/roman-polanski-victim-director-is-not-a-threat-prosecution-should-end.html

roman polanski Empty Re: roman polanski

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Should the state continue to try to extradite / prosecute Roman Polanski?
    I see both sides. The system failed he victim for 33 years. At some point I'm sure she wants to just be done with it. How many adults want to keep re visiting something bad that happened to them at age 13?
    On the other hand the state cannot simply let it go beucase they cannot allow the prescedent that if you are just a fugitive long enough we forget about you.
    Thoughts?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:09 pm

In case it was not clear..my opinion was that they should continue to try to extradite / prosecute beucause it is the right thing to do but it is not likely to work.
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:45 pm

I've gleaned information through the years that intends to mitigate Roman's offense. I'd have to know so much more for sure to be decisive on this. I guess I can state that if Polanski knew she was underage for sure, then yes, we should probably pursue it. The victim doesn't have to "revisit" it all publicly, but she seems to want to. We should probably disregard her particular interest in this and go with the law. How would we not, anyway? Someone pardons him??

Another thought: Interesting to me that it looks as though the killers of Roman's wife and others may very well walk the streets of America free long before he ever does.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:44 pm

tapu wrote:I've gleaned information through the years that intends to mitigate Roman's offense. I'd have to know so much more for sure to be decisive on this. I guess I can state that if Polanski knew she was underage for sure, then yes, we should probably pursue it. The victim doesn't have to "revisit" it all publicly, but she seems to want to. We should probably disregard her particular interest in this and go with the law. How would we not, anyway? Someone pardons him??

Another thought: Interesting to me that it looks as though the killers of Roman's wife and others may very well walk the streets of America free long before he ever does.
    I saw that they were denied by the parole board. Do you know something else?
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:59 pm

No Manson family member incarcerated will go free imo. The just denied Leslie again and she was the most likely to be granted parole.

OK let's revisit: Roman Polnaski photographs an underage girl - not just underage: 13 years old. He gives her champagne and qualudes and then becomes a sexual aggressor complete with doing her in the butt OK? No. That is not OK. What's with me and all the OKs today???!!!!

He should have been prosecuted long ago, that's true, but still - he's a perv and he always has been and I'm glad they've made his Romanskiing around in the U.S. all but impossible!!!! Let the French have him or whoever. I wish Dog the Bounty Hunter would go find his sorry wrinkled old balls and drag him back here!!!

Wow, too much Red Bull today.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:27 pm

It could pose some interesting legal questions if Dog were to bring Roman here. He would certainly be easy to find. He is not hiding as much as he is just unavailable. As France or Switzerland have already declined to extradite an action like this would be more of an abduction than an arrest but it would be an abduction that occurred on foreign soil. It would not be a crime here since he is a fugative from justice and subject to lawful arrest if he were to be on US soil. Following this line of thought could Dog fight extradition from the US back to France by asserting the defense that he has commited no crime here. He could make a Roman like argument himself.
    This is all just conversation though. I think that Dog will not be working in any foreign nations after narrowly avoiding extradition and a Mexican prison himself. He dodged that bullet once probably does not want to try again.
    And yes Ziggy .. pace yourself with the red bulls.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:47 pm

lol,totally agree with Ziggy on this one...for once !
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 pm

LOL Claudi! roman polanski 130642 I want to shoot a fantasy movie where Claudi and I travel to Europe on a covert op. to find Polanski and of course we find him and kidnap him and fly him back on a private jet. The lure has to be underage girls but the Dateline kind that only look young Then BAM he's 'napped - all with zig and claudi in total disguise that includes tight black leather. (I better start working out for this role).Then we turn him over to Dog anonymously. What do you think...should he end up naked in a park with no ID and we send Dog there to grab him?
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Scott wrote:It could pose some interesting legal questions if Dog were to bring Roman here. He would certainly be easy to find. He is not hiding as much as he is just unavailable. As France or Switzerland have already declined to extradite an action like this would be more of an abduction than an arrest but it would be an abduction that occurred on foreign soil. It would not be a crime here since he is a fugative from justice and subject to lawful arrest if he were to be on US soil. Following this line of thought could Dog fight extradition from the US back to France by asserting the defense that he has commited no crime here. He could make a Roman like argument himself.
    This is all just conversation though. I think that Dog will not be working in any foreign nations after narrowly avoiding extradition and a Mexican prison himself. He dodged that bullet once probably does not want to try again.
    And yes Ziggy .. pace yourself with the red bulls.

No, yeah, The Dog had a very close call with Luster and Mexico...he won't be doing that again. But this is rich isn't it? They would not extradite him, but if someone got him there and brought him back WE would extradite them to face charges in another country. Go figure.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 pm

claudicici wrote:lol,totally agree with Ziggy on this one...for once !
    That's once!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:52 pm

ziggy wrote:LOL Claudi! roman polanski 130642 I want to shoot a fantasy movie where Claudi and I travel to Europe on a covert op. to find Polanski and of course we find him and kidnap him and fly him back on a private jet. The lure has to be underage girls but the Dateline kind that only look young Then BAM he's 'napped - all with zig and claudi in total disguise that includes tight black leather. (I better start working out for this role).Then we turn him over to Dog anonymously. What do you think...should he end up naked in a park with no ID and we send Dog there to grab him?
    I'd go see the movie.
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:57 am

Sweet! And obviously it's a buddy movie where we have conflict but there has to be a scene where we go to a bar and I drink her under the table, I have no idea why but I think if we actually got together in real life, that would happen!

Oh and don't let Claudi fool you, she's agreed with me before, like maybe once before roman polanski Icon_sunny

Post by Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:48 am

NBC Settles "To Catch A Predator" Suicide Lawsuit For Undisclosed Amount

HPConfig.entry_digg_promo_url = 'http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/25/nbc-settles-to-catch-a-pr_n_109261.html';

digg
    facebook Twitter stumble reddit del.ico.us

June 26, 2008 07:37 AM EST | roman polanski Ap_wire Compare other versions »

Compare 07:37 AM EST07:36 AM EST03:56 AM EST03:55 AM EST01:47 AM EST and 07:37 AM EST07:36 AM EST03:56 AM EST03:55 AM EST01:47 AM EST versions

HPFacebookVote.init(80494552133, 109261, 'NBC Settles "To Catch A Predator" Suicide Lawsuit For Undisclosed Amount', 'NEW YORK — NBC Universal has settled a $105 million lawsuit brought by a woman who claimed a televised sex sting by "Dateline NBC: To Catch A Predator" drove her brother to kill himself. "The matter has been amicably resolved to the satisfaction of both parties," said a statement released by both sides. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.', 'http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/25/nbc-settles-to-catch-a-pr_n_109261.html', 'http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/27530/thumbs/s-TO-CATCH-A-PREDATOR-small.jpg', 'Please join me at Huffington Post!');

I Like ItI Don’t Like It

Read More: Louis William Conradt, Nbc, Patricia Conradt, To Catch A Predator, To Catch a Predator Lawsuit, To Catch a Predator Suicide, Media News

document.write(' roman polanski Email
    Get Breaking News Alerts

never spam

');

roman polanski Email
    Get Breaking News Alerts

never spam

NEW YORK — NBC Universal has settled a $105 million lawsuit brought by a woman who claimed a televised sex sting by "Dateline NBC: To Catch A Predator" drove her brother to kill himself.
    "The matter has been amicably resolved to the satisfaction of both parties," said a statement released by both sides. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
    Patricia Conradt's lawsuit had claimed her brother, a suburban Dallas prosecutor, fatally shot himself after he was accused of engaging in a sexually explicit online chat with an adult posing as a 13-year-old boy.
    The lawsuit claimed NBC "steamrolled" authorities to arrest Louis William Conradt Jr. after telling police he failed to show up at a sting operation 35 miles away.
    NBC was working with the activist group Perverted Justice on the sting, in which people impersonating children established online chats with men and tried to lure them to a house, where they were met by TV cameras and police.
    In February, a federal judge issued a scathing ruling in the case, saying a jury might conclude the network "crossed the line from responsible journalism to irresponsible and reckless intrusion into law enforcement."
    U.S. District Judge Denny Chin said the lawsuit contained sufficient facts to make it plausible that the suicide was foreseeable, that police had a duty to protect Conradt from killing himself and that the officers and NBC acted with deliberate indifference.
    New episodes of "To Catch A Predator" ended in December, with the future of the series uncertain.
    "Right now we are working on other investigative stories focusing on national security and the economy," NBC spokeswoman Jenny Tartikoff said Wednesday in an e-mail. "If we do more, we want to make sure we are complementing past investigations not just repeating them."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/25/nbc-settles-to-catch-a-pr_n_109261.html

Post by Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 am

Older story but Ziggy's movie plot made me think of this. Did Dateline go to far? Did they intrude into law enforcement?
    I think NO. Perverted Justice [the citizen's group] and Dateline both have long records of responsibly working with law enforcement. They don't MAKE anything happen they just make circumstances available and people / predators make their own choices. I suspect that Dateline did not steamroll anyone into making an arrest as much as they presented the evidence they had to law enforcement and that evidence all pointed to a crime.
    bobskat
    bobskat

Post by bobskat Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:21 am

I refuse to see any of his movies

I figure if he’s going to thumb his nose at the American Justice System than he doesn’t need my American Money.

In fact I don’t think his movies should be shown here but that’s just me

For me, it really has nothing to do with the fact that the former victim wants it dropped. I’m glad she wants to move on with her life, I really am. It has to do with the fact that he not only broke major laws here, he skipped out on a his crime.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:42 pm

ziggy wrote:No Manson family member incarcerated will go free imo. The just denied Leslie again and she was the most likely to be granted parole.

OK let's revisit: Roman Polnaski photographs an underage girl - not just underage: 13 years old. He gives her champagne and qualudes and then becomes a sexual aggressor complete with doing her in the butt OK? No. That is not OK. What's with me and all the OKs today???!!!!

He should have been prosecuted long ago, that's true, but still - he's a perv and he always has been and I'm glad they've made his Romanskiing around in the U.S. all but impossible!!!! Let the French have him or whoever. I wish Dog the Bounty Hunter would go find his sorry wrinkled old balls and drag him back here!!!

I agree that what he did is not ok, however, society was much different then than it is now, that still does NOT make what he did ok and I am not trying to be a NAMBLA apologist, but I think one has to take in to consideration that at the time, things like this were happening alot more often right out in the open than they are now, it was just a more liberal sexually tolerant society that we lived in at the time, again that does not make what he did ok but I think it is something that needs to be considered. I have a lot more to say about this case as the whole Polanski/Manson/Laurel Canyon scene of the 60s/70s is of great interest to me and something I have spent a lot of time investigating over the years, I just think we need to look at this from a more broad perspective than we commonly have in the recent past.

Lets also not forget that all the experts involved in this case at the time indicated that he should not have served prison time for what he did, The judge, Laurence J. Rittenband, received a probation report and psychiatric evaluation, both indicating that Polanski should not serve jail time.

Lets also not forget that he did indeed serve 42 days at Chino State Prison undergoing extensiove psychological evaluation and was released early, originally having been sentenced to 90 days there, with all recommendations being that he should only receive probation or the offense and that he did not pose any further threat to society, it was pretty much consensus that it was simply a case of bad judgment while under the influence.

In the weeks leading up to his final sentencing hearing it was agreed that he would only be sentenced to probation then at the last minute the judge decided to go back on this agreement and threatened to sentence him to more jail time (at the time the judge was suggesting 8 months more in jail at most) and possible deportation. After his lawyers were informed that the judge was going back on earlier agreements and promises that he was only going to be sentenced to probation, Polanski decided to flee at that time and he did so because his lawyer told him that he was likely going to be deported anyway so he decided to do it himself.

In any event, he was only going to serve 8 months at most for what he did which tells me 2 things, one, he fucked up by just not manning up and serving the 8 months and getting it over with, and two, such a short sentence for what he allegedly did tells me that the evidence may not have been as solid as some seem to indicate.

I also think in a case like this, absent any evidence of threats or fear, if the victim doesnt wish to further pursue the case then it should be dropped.

Last, for now, the victim did agree to a pretty nice monetary settlement of which Polanski eventually paid her in full, which some have said to be upwards of a million dollars.

More later.
    Peace
    Peace

Post by Peace Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:53 pm

Unbelievable but Percy has my vote on this one!
    BTW, one wine cooler is all I had. roman polanski 163353
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:22 am

I think Pax is right on regarding the historical context of sexuality in society. Another point about context in this crime is that Polanski was from a culture where you could be incarcerated for no clearly specified reason and for no specified amount of time. His running, in that light, is more understandable, imo.

As for not allowing his movies to be shown in America... I don't have the energy or spirit to go into how very wrong-headed that idea is. To start us out, though: consider the history of that way of thinking in America.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:39 am

Percy wrote:
    ziggy wrote:No Manson family member incarcerated will go free imo. The just denied Leslie again and she was the most likely to be granted parole.

I agree that what he did is not ok, however, society was much different then than it is now, that still does NOT make what he did ok and I am not trying to be a NAMBLA apologist, but I think one has to take in to consideration that at the time, things like this were happening alot more often right out in the open than they are now, it was just a more liberal sexually tolerant society that we lived in at the time, again that does not make what he did ok but I think it is something that needs to be considered. I have a lot more to say about this case as the whole Polanski/Manson/Laurel Canyon scene of the 60s/70s is of great interest to me and something I have spent a lot of time investigating over the years, I just think we need to look at this from a more broad perspective than we commonly have in the recent past.

Lets also not forget that all the experts involved in this case at the time indicated that he should not have served prison time for what he did, The judge, Laurence J. Rittenband, received a probation report and psychiatric evaluation, both indicating that Polanski should not serve jail time.

Lets also not forget that he did indeed serve 42 days at Chino State Prison undergoing extensiove psychological evaluation and was released early, originally having been sentenced to 90 days there, with all recommendations being that he should only receive probation or the offense and that he did not pose any further threat to society, it was pretty much consensus that it was simply a case of bad judgment while under the influence.

In the weeks leading up to his final sentencing hearing it was agreed that he would only be sentenced to probation then at the last minute the judge decided to go back on this agreement and threatened to sentence him to more jail time (at the time the judge was suggesting 8 months more in jail at most) and possible deportation. After his lawyers were informed that the judge was going back on earlier agreements and promises that he was only going to be sentenced to probation, Polanski decided to flee at that time and he did so because his lawyer told him that he was likely going to be deported anyway so he decided to do it himself.

In any event, he was only going to serve 8 months at most for what he did which tells me 2 things, one, he fucked up by just not manning up and serving the 8 months and getting it over with, and two, such a short sentence for what he allegedly did tells me that the evidence may not have been as solid as some seem to indicate.

I also think in a case like this, absent any evidence of threats or fear, if the victim doesnt wish to further pursue the case then it should be dropped.

Last, for now, the victim did agree to a pretty nice monetary settlement of which Polanski eventually paid her in full, which some have said to be upwards of a million dollars.

More later.
    I question whether or not it was a more liberal sexually tolerant society then. How many openly gay couples were there 30 years ago relative to how many there are now? I think society has made great strides recently in accepting behavior between conscenting adults. That is not what happend in Roman's case. She was 13. Society has also made great strides in how we protect children. In my mind that is why this case is more of a big deal NOW than it was THEN. The fact that a probation and psych eval report showed he should not serve time is not particularly significant to me. It was a recommendation. It may have been an informed and educated opinion but it was simply an opinion. The judge was not bound by it.As with any criminal case there are a wide range of opinions as to what an appropriate sentence should be. A proposed 8 month sentence for sex with 13 year old was a gift then or now. The fact that he paid the victim. Also irrelavent in my mind. He cannot buy his way out of criminal accountability. Roman fled the jursidiction of the court becuase he had the reasources to do so.
    That said, my guess is that the US will continue to try to pursue and will never be able to accomplish anything.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:58 am

I agree with Scott,no matter how much more sexually liberal society may have been,she was a child,no a consenting adult.I also don't think it should have anything to do with whether or not the victim wants to pursue this or not,the only thing that matters should be to make a point that no matter in what position you are socially you should be treated the same...if Polanski would have been a construction worker or truck driver or whatever ( you know what I mean) I think the public would think completely different about this and noone would think it should be "forgiven"....I don't care how many millions he gave her or or how much she thinks she's ok now,first of all he has plenty of money that doesn't hurt him and second of all it's the principle...it's not ok to rape a 13 year old girl,never in my opinion....
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Some unknown would not have been pursued like this at all. If he managed to get out of the country, no way would the US go after him for 30 years on this charge.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:13 pm

tapu wrote:Some unknown would not have been pursued like this at all. If he managed to get out of the country, no way would the US go after him for 30 years on this charge.
    Romans status plays several roles here.
    It gave him the reasources to leave the country realtively easily and transplant his life with minimal disruption. Would he have preferred to stay in the USA? Probably. But overall, I don't think life in Europe has been very differnt for him than it would have been here. He still makes movies and lives well. He is not a prisoner in any sense. I do think that his status played a role in the original sentence and ONLY helped him. Again 8 months for the rape of a 13 year old????? I doubt that would have been available to an average offender. I wonder if the psych eval would have been different for an average offender. Would it have been simply poor judgment if Bob the school janitor had done this?
    I do however agree with Tapu that if someone that was totally unknown had fled and gotten away for 30+ years in all likelyhood everyone would have forgotten. His status is a constant reminder to everyone that he got away with it. He as the convicted offender dictated the terms of his own punishment. 40whatever days was okay with him, 8 months was not so ... he left.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 pm

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/newport-news-man-gets-8-years-child-porn?cid=rltd
    To illustrate a change in social norms / move socially to be more protective of children read this article. This man received 8 years for possession of images while Roman was to receive 8 mths for an actual rape.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:11 pm

...but even if the "unknown" offender was to have fled to another country,there'sno way that country would protect him and not work with US authoritys.
    Polanski's sense of entitlement enfuriates me."Everyone likes to fuck young girls"
    That's his statement,his excuse...even if that was true,not everyone does.
    He has no regret ,no sense that he did something wrong at all...
    which makes me sure this was not the only victim.
    Can you imagine how that child felt,when someone important took her pictures,I'm sure she felt special and proud that this guy was interested in her....and then he turned her into a high paid whore....He altered someone's psyche forever,no one has a right to do that....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:27 pm