Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+4
AndresEscobar
Percy
dangrsmind
tapu
8 posters

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird.

tapu
    tapu

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. Empty And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird.

Post by tapu Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Meet Joel-Peter Witkin, an artist whose work you might... enjoy... or, maybe not.
    Brings a whole new depth of meaning to "YMMV".

article:
    http://supervert.com/essays/art/joelpeter_witkin

art:
    http://www.artnet.com/Artists/ArtistHomePage.aspx?artist_id=25126&page_tab=Artworks_for_sale
    dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. Empty Re: And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird.

Post by dangrsmind Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Some interesting and disturbing stuff there. Also, I am happy to know that there is something called the Perversity Think Tank. So thanks.

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. Empty Re: And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:02 pm

So, what does one do with a picture like that? Frame it and hang it on the wall?
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 am

The Kay wrote:So, what does one do with a picture like that? Frame it and hang it on the wall?
    Laughing
    dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

Post by dangrsmind Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:31 am

The Kay wrote:So, what does one do with a picture like that? Frame it and hang it on the wall?

Probably right next to this one:

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. 3317131129_799663f31b
    AndresEscobar
    AndresEscobar

Post by AndresEscobar Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 am

You guys really need to add a "here be wangs" warning when you post these links.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:30 am

tapu wrote:Meet Joel-Peter Witkin, an artist whose work you might... enjoy... or, maybe not.

article:

art:
    http://www.artnet.com/Artists/ArtistHomePage.aspx?artist_id=25126&page_tab=Artworks_for_sale

Photography usually bores me. I love JPW though. I guess that stuff still shocks people? Da Vinci and Michelangelo both kept body parts around their studios for reference. Gericault did the same to make studies for "The Raft of the Medusa." He made several paintings of the heads of executed prisoners.

It's the sort of thing that it would take a dissertation or at least a solid master's thesis to really discuss, but Witkin's work intentionally or not raises a lot of very interesting issues where the histories of art, science, and the law converge.

WANG WARNING!, but only mild wangs. Some history, but only a very brief intro.
    Andreas Vesalius
    http://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/wantz/images/vesdi04.jpg
    Vesalius and his fellow students studied anatomy by going out to the places where executed prisoner's bodies were left in piles. He wrote that they learned to identify all of the bones by feel with their eyes closed. He revolutionized the study of anatomy and is a very important figure in the histories of art and medicine.

Julius Casserius
    http://www.fulltable.com/VTS/i/imsc/aa/imm/79.jpg

Here be some VERY POTENT WANGS. Not for the faint of heart.
    Frederik Ruysch
    http://morbidanatomy.blogspot.com/2010/01/announcing-new-virtual-museum-dedicated.html
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 am

There's something I don't understand about this. Well, there's more than one thing, I'm sure, but this one thing puzzles me:

How does the guy keep the dead bodies and dead body parts in such good shape long enough to pose them the way he does? They would have to be transported from someplace (I think I've read that he procures the bodies from Mexico.) Then he would need to set up the shots before he could take them. That would take an appreciable amount of time. Yet, look at the poses. See, for example, corpus medias:

http://www.artnet.com/artwork/424459374/424187413/joel-peter-witkin-corpus-medius.html
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 am

Some of the JPW photos I've seen were taken in a morgue in Mexico. There are some that were taken of mummified bodies that were also in Mexico.

He is very well known and has been for a long time. It's pretty easy to find interviews and other information about him and his work.

http://archive.salon.com/people/bc/2000/05/09/witkin/index.html
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 am

tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:07 pm

I just thought some people might not be as familiar with him as you are.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:24 pm

dangrsmind wrote:

Probably right next to this one:

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. 3317131129_799663f31b

Hey!!!
    How did you get my High School Graduation picture?
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 pm

tapu wrote:I just thought some people might not be as familiar with him as you are.

Well known in the art world usually isn't the same thing as well known like Elvis. All I meant to say is that if you are really interested in what he does, it isn't to hard to find more than you could possibly want to know.

I knew a young lady a few years ago who was very into Baudelaire and in particular his Les Fleurs du Mal. I gave her a copy of a small book on Joel-Peter Witkin for her birthday. It was very precisely wrapped in a carefully wrinkled and torn piece of black paper and had a small weathered bone and a few dried and faded old roses that were assembled into a bouquet and tied on to it with several bits of old string. I gave it to her one evening as I was saying good-bye to her for the night. She opened it later and was so freaked out that it took some very careful coaxing to get her to ever talk to me again. She has since found other reasons to never talk to me again.

From Les Fleur du Mal
    La Destruction

Sans cesse à mes côtés s'agite le Démon;
    II nage autour de moi comme un air impalpable;
    Je l'avale et le sens qui brûle mon poumon
    Et l'emplit d'un désir éternel et coupable.

Parfois il prend, sachant mon grand amour de l'Art,
    La forme de la plus séduisante des femmes,
    Et, sous de spécieux prétextes de cafard,
    Accoutume ma lèvre à des philtres infâmes.

II me conduit ainsi, loin du regard de Dieu,
    Haletant et brisé de fatigue, au milieu
    Des plaines de l'Ennui, profondes et désertes,

Et jette dans mes yeux pleins de confusion
    Des vêtements souillés, des blessures ouvertes,
    Et l'appareil sanglant de la Destruction!

— Charles Baudelaire

Destruction

The Demon is always moving about at my side;
    He floats about me like an impalpable air;
    I swallow him, I feel him burn my lungs
    And fill them with an eternal, sinful desire.

Sometimes, knowing my deep love for Art, he assumes
    The form of a most seductive woman,
    And, with pretexts specious and hypocritical,
    Accustoms my lips to infamous philtres.

He leads me thus, far from the sight of God,
    Panting and broken with fatigue, into the midst
    Of the plains of Ennui, endless and deserted,

And thrusts before my eyes full of bewilderment,
    Dirty filthy garments and open, gaping wounds,
    And all the bloody instruments of Destruction!

— William Aggeler, The Flowers of Evil (Fresno, CA: Academy Library Guild, 1954)

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Photography is really the only type of art I like. I'm not shocked by the picture(s), but what's the point? Usually a photograph shows something interesting. Maybe there are people interested in looking at a headless fat man with a tiny penis. I might not be "deep" enough to "get it." scratch Are some of these done for no reason other than the "shock" value?
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:01 pm

The Kay wrote:Photography is really the only type of art I like. I'm not shocked by the picture(s), but what's the point? Usually a photograph shows something interesting. Maybe there are people interested in looking at a headless fat man with a tiny penis. I might not be "deep" enough to "get it." scratch Are some of these done for no reason other than the "shock" value?

Well we could start to get at the point with a question like "Is it more true that a photograph shows something interesting, or that a photograph shows something in an interesting way?"

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 pm

blouAngel wrote:
    The Kay wrote:Photography is really the only type of art I like. I'm not shocked by the picture(s), but what's the point? Usually a photograph shows something interesting. Maybe there are people interested in looking at a headless fat man with a tiny penis. I might not be "deep" enough to "get it." And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. Icon_scratch Are some of these done for no reason other than the "shock" value?

Well we could start to get at the point with a question like "Is it more true that a photograph shows something interesting, or that a photograph shows something in an interesting way?"

Having once been a professional photographer it is how the shot is framed
    I’ve used a Polaroid camera and made the shots look good
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:06 pm

dabobkat wrote:
    blouAngel wrote:
    The Kay wrote:Photography is really the only type of art I like. I'm not shocked by the picture(s), but what's the point? Usually a photograph shows something interesting. Maybe there are people interested in looking at a headless fat man with a tiny penis. I might not be "deep" enough to "get it." And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. Icon_scratch Are some of these done for no reason other than the "shock" value?

Was that an answer to the question?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm

blouAngel wrote:
    dabobkat wrote:
    blouAngel wrote:

An example would be taking a picture of an old antique tractor.
    I’ve seen the shot done in color and I’ve seen it done in B&W done in sepia tones
    It loses something in color

Does that give a better answer?
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm

blouAngel wrote:
    tapu wrote:Meet Joel-Peter Witkin, an artist whose work you might... enjoy... or, maybe not.

article:

art:

Photography usually bores me. I love JPW though. I guess that stuff still shocks people? Da Vinci and Michelangelo both kept body parts around their studios for reference. Gericault did the same to make studies for "The Raft of the Medusa." He made several paintings of the heads of executed prisoners.

It's the sort of thing that it would take a dissertation or at least a solid master's thesis to really discuss, but Witkin's work intentionally or not raises a lot of very interesting issues where the histories of art, science, and the law converge.

WANG WARNING!, but only mild wangs. Some history, but only a very brief intro.
    Andreas Vesalius
    http://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/wantz/images/vesdi04.jpg
    Vesalius and his fellow students studied anatomy by going out to the places where executed prisoner's bodies were left in piles. He wrote that they learned to identify all of the bones by feel with their eyes closed. He revolutionized the study of anatomy and is a very important figure in the histories of art and medicine.

Julius Casserius
    http://www.fulltable.com/VTS/i/imsc/aa/imm/79.jpg

Here be some VERY POTENT WANGS. Not for the faint of heart.
    Frederik Ruysch
    http://morbidanatomy.blogspot.com/2010/01/announcing-new-virtual-museum-dedicated.html

Cool links, really fascinating stuff, almost as cool as a mint jellied up Lam. alien
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 pm

dabobkat wrote:
    blouAngel wrote:
    dabobkat wrote:
    blouAngel wrote:

I’ve seen the shot done in color and I’ve seen it done in B&W done in sepia tones

Are you the one professional photographer who's never done weddings?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 pm

blouAngel wrote:
    The Kay wrote:Photography is really the only type of art I like. I'm not shocked by the picture(s), but what's the point? Usually a photograph shows something interesting. Maybe there are people interested in looking at a headless fat man with a tiny penis. I might not be "deep" enough to "get it." scratch Are some of these done for no reason other than the "shock" value?

It could be either one, or even both at the same time. Is this picture "art" because it shows a headless fat naked man with a tiny penis in an interesting way? He's just slumped up against a wall. Is it interesting because it is just "gross?" Shock value?
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Yanno, I read Tappys initial post and thought, " I'm getting a distinct ABby vibe here, I don't think I should click that link."

Gold star for instinct today! cheers

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:39 pm

blouAngel wrote:
    dabobkat wrote:
    blouAngel wrote:
    dabobkat wrote:
    blouAngel wrote:

Are you the one professional photographer who's never done weddings?
    Weddings, portraits, commercial and art; sadly it was a non-profit business
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 am

....let them speak to you.
    it's not something you look at to decide wether or not you want to hang it on your wall.
    art is something that speaks to you emotionally.
    art understands what noone else does,it's the best feeling in the world to look at something and think he/she gets it ,this person felt that way and you are not alone.
    dead bodies can speak so much clearer to me than a living person.
    i can see empty shallow living people walking around all day long.
    i can see a dead body and know everything that person felt.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 am

claudicici wrote:

....let them speak to you.
    it's not something you look at to decide wether or not you want to hang it on your wall.
    art is something that speaks to you emotionally.
    art understands what noone else does,it's the best feeling in the world to look at something and think he/she gets it ,this person felt that way and you are not alone.
    dead bodies can speak so much clearer to me than a living person.
    i can see empty shallow living people walking around all day long.
    i can see a dead body and know everything that person felt.

Very well said, could not agree more...

I am really in to rare and obscure art and comic books and they really speak to me on an emotional level because like you said, I can see or read something and say "This guy really gets it I am not alone after all..." Comics really do that for me, if you really get in to them, the satire of some of the more obscure comics is really, really good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:01 pm