Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+4
AndresEscobar
Percy
dangrsmind
tapu
8 posters

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird.

ericclimbs
    ericclimbs

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. - Page 2 Empty Re: And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird.

Post by ericclimbs Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:06 am

I know next to nothing about comics but, on the advice of a friend many years ago, began collecting and reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Cool stuff. I think they are in the attic at my parents house back east - in acid free plastic sleeves of course.
    Percy
    Percy

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. - Page 2 Empty Re: And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird.

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:14 am

ericclimbs wrote:I know next to nothing about comics but, on the advice of a friend many years ago, began collecting and reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Cool stuff. I think they are in the attic at my parents house back east - in acid free plastic sleeves of course.

Dude I have to get you in to comics you would like them. I am not talking superman and shit, I mean the real obscure shit that only the diehards know about, deep, philosophical and artsy satire at its best. I fucking LOVE satire.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:15 am

Paximus wrote:
    ericclimbs wrote:I know next to nothing about comics but, on the advice of a friend many years ago, began collecting and reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Cool stuff. I think they are in the attic at my parents house back east - in acid free plastic sleeves of course.

Dude I have to get you in to comics you would like them. I am not talking superman and shit, I mean the real obscure shit that only the diehards know about, deep, philosophical and artsy satire at its best. I fucking LOVE satire.

Sandman is definitely a worthy comic, I have a few.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:15 am

Kaz

And now for something really weird. Really. Really. Weird. - Page 2 893

Post by Guest Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:00 am

claudicici wrote:
    The Kay wrote:Photography is really the only type of art I like. I'm not shocked by the picture(s), but what's the point? Usually a photograph shows something interesting. Maybe there are people interested in looking at a headless fat man with a tiny penis. I might not be "deep" enough to "get it." scratch Are some of these done for no reason other than the "shock" value?

....let them speak to you.
    it's not something you look at to decide wether or not you want to hang it on your wall.
    art is something that speaks to you emotionally.
    art understands what noone else does,it's the best feeling in the world to look at something and think he/she gets it ,this person felt that way and you are not alone.
    dead bodies can speak so much clearer to me than a living person.
    i can see empty shallow living people walking around all day long.
    i can see a dead body and know everything that person felt.

I guess that has always been my "problem" -- arts does not speak to me at all. I don't know why. Maybe it is a right side/left side brain issue.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:17 am

that's very possible and that's good for you,I think the right side of the brain has all the survival skills and warns you of danger.i don't have any of that.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:48 am

blouAngel wrote:
    tapu wrote:I just thought some people might not be as familiar with him as you are.

Well known in the art world usually isn't the same thing as well known like Elvis. All I meant to say is that if you are really interested in what he does, it isn't to hard to find more than you could possibly want to know.

I knew a young lady a few years ago who was very into Baudelaire and in particular his Les Fleurs du Mal. I gave her a copy of a small book on Joel-Peter Witkin for her birthday. It was very precisely wrapped in a carefully wrinkled and torn piece of black paper and had a small weathered bone and a few dried and faded old roses that were assembled into a bouquet and tied on to it with several bits of old string. I gave it to her one evening as I was saying good-bye to her for the night. She opened it later and was so freaked out that it took some very careful coaxing to get her to ever talk to me again. She has since found other reasons to never talk to me again.

From Les Fleur du Mal
    La Destruction

Sans cesse à mes côtés s'agite le Démon;
    II nage autour de moi comme un air impalpable;
    Je l'avale et le sens qui brûle mon poumon
    Et l'emplit d'un désir éternel et coupable.

Parfois il prend, sachant mon grand amour de l'Art,
    La forme de la plus séduisante des femmes,
    Et, sous de spécieux prétextes de cafard,
    Accoutume ma lèvre à des philtres infâmes.

II me conduit ainsi, loin du regard de Dieu,
    Haletant et brisé de fatigue, au milieu
    Des plaines de l'Ennui, profondes et désertes,

Et jette dans mes yeux pleins de confusion
    Des vêtements souillés, des blessures ouvertes,
    Et l'appareil sanglant de la Destruction!

— Charles Baudelaire

Destruction

The Demon is always moving about at my side;
    He floats about me like an impalpable air;
    I swallow him, I feel him burn my lungs
    And fill them with an eternal, sinful desire.

Sometimes, knowing my deep love for Art, he assumes
    The form of a most seductive woman,
    And, with pretexts specious and hypocritical,
    Accustoms my lips to infamous philtres.

He leads me thus, far from the sight of God,
    Panting and broken with fatigue, into the midst
    Of the plains of Ennui, endless and deserted,

And thrusts before my eyes full of bewilderment,
    Dirty filthy garments and open, gaping wounds,
    And all the bloody instruments of Destruction!

— William Aggeler, The Flowers of Evil (Fresno, CA: Academy Library Guild, 1954)
    oh god how i wished i would ever get a gift like that..but is the aggeler poem a translation of the baudelaire one?...well anyways i welcome those demons,that poem makes me so mad.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:20 pm

claudicici wrote:
    blouAngel wrote:
    tapu wrote:I just thought some people might not be as familiar with him as you are.

Well known in the art world usually isn't the same thing as well known like Elvis. All I meant to say is that if you are really interested in what he does, it isn't to hard to find more than you could possibly want to know.

I knew a young lady a few years ago who was very into Baudelaire and in particular his Les Fleurs du Mal. I gave her a copy of a small book on Joel-Peter Witkin for her birthday. It was very precisely wrapped in a carefully wrinkled and torn piece of black paper and had a small weathered bone and a few dried and faded old roses that were assembled into a bouquet and tied on to it with several bits of old string. I gave it to her one evening as I was saying good-bye to her for the night. She opened it later and was so freaked out that it took some very careful coaxing to get her to ever talk to me again. She has since found other reasons to never talk to me again.

From Les Fleur du Mal
    La Destruction

Sans cesse à mes côtés s'agite le Démon;
    II nage autour de moi comme un air impalpable;
    Je l'avale et le sens qui brûle mon poumon
    Et l'emplit d'un désir éternel et coupable.

Parfois il prend, sachant mon grand amour de l'Art,
    La forme de la plus séduisante des femmes,
    Et, sous de spécieux prétextes de cafard,
    Accoutume ma lèvre à des philtres infâmes.

II me conduit ainsi, loin du regard de Dieu,
    Haletant et brisé de fatigue, au milieu
    Des plaines de l'Ennui, profondes et désertes,

Et jette dans mes yeux pleins de confusion
    Des vêtements souillés, des blessures ouvertes,
    Et l'appareil sanglant de la Destruction!

— Charles Baudelaire

Destruction

The Demon is always moving about at my side;
    He floats about me like an impalpable air;
    I swallow him, I feel him burn my lungs
    And fill them with an eternal, sinful desire.

Sometimes, knowing my deep love for Art, he assumes
    The form of a most seductive woman,
    And, with pretexts specious and hypocritical,
    Accustoms my lips to infamous philtres.

He leads me thus, far from the sight of God,
    Panting and broken with fatigue, into the midst
    Of the plains of Ennui, endless and deserted,

And thrusts before my eyes full of bewilderment,
    Dirty filthy garments and open, gaping wounds,
    And all the bloody instruments of Destruction!

— William Aggeler, The Flowers of Evil (Fresno, CA: Academy Library Guild, 1954)
    oh god how i wished i would ever get a gift like that..but is the aggeler poem a translation of the baudelaire one?...well anyways i welcome those demons,that poem makes me so mad.

The second poem is a translation of the first. It doesn't really work. I have a copy of Les Fleurs du Mal, that has English translations on the facing pages, and none of them really translate well. There is a websit that has several versions of some of the poems in English and it's really interesting to see how different they are. It gets back to the same problem that Jon Berger talks about in Ways of Seeing, but with language instead of with images. You probably have a better understanding of than most people since you speak German and English and know what it means to translate ideas. Sometimes something is easy to say in one language but the words just don't fit together that way in another. Poems are especially hard since there are so many different levels of communication going on.
    Est-ce tu parles francais aussi?
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:39 pm

...un peu...no not really i can make out the meaning though when it's written ,i wouldn't understand it if people were talking...
    no kidding about stuff getting lost in translation,it doesn't have to be about language most of the time i just have a hard time saying thoughts in either language

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:53 pm