Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+6
TandT
Splendor Solis
claudicici
TiffaniLane
ericclimbs
Percy
10 posters

Who are your favorite sports teams?

Percy
    Percy

Who are your favorite sports teams? Empty Who are your favorite sports teams?

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

What is your favorite sport and who are your favorite teams. I LOVE to play and watch all sports.

My favorites:

University of Arizona Wildcats! My first love in all sports and my alma mater.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Syracuse Orangmen (I am from NY originally)

NEW YORK YANKEES!

NEW YORK JETS and GIANTS.

NBA--New York Knicks but I am in Arizona now so I am a big SUNS fan.

I love Golf too, I am a big Tom Watson and Phil Mickleson fan. I also like Tiger Woods but didnt until he showed he was human recently, now I will root for him to come back from his adversity.
    ericclimbs
    ericclimbs

Who are your favorite sports teams? Empty Re: Who are your favorite sports teams?

Post by ericclimbs Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 am

While most of my memories of childhood are remote and fuzzy, at best, this one has always remained as clearly in my mind as the day it happened:

So I was a little kid, like 5 or 6 years old, and there I was at Sears where my parents had taken me to pick out my very own rainjacket. There was row of colorful choices all adorned in the colors and logos of the NFL. I choose a conglomeration of pastels, an aquamarine and hazy orange, a giant fish donning a football helmet. My father, a native of Washington D.C., and a diehard Redskins fan, quickly snatched it away. No son of his was gonna wear a Miami Dolphins jacket. Instead he offered me a gold and maroon Redskins coat. And then, opposite, was my Mom, born and raised in Minnesota, holding out a dizzyingly purple Vikings jacket. So there was the choice.

I must have been a Momma's boy cause I've been a Vikes fan ever since.

To me Sports are art in motion - the beauty of the physical body in movement achieving extremes of talent. I particularly enjoy football, soccer, and hockey. I get really annoyed when some arty type person shrugs off sports with disdain, as if they are so much better, so above, the entertainment of the common man.

Yeah I know the big money sports are all about business and money but they are still a joy to behold. They can be dazzlingly entertaining. The players work hard to do what they do, to keep their bodies in shape for the efforts they endure.

Okay maybe not baseball. Oh shit did I just say that?!?! Sorry, to me baseball = Sleep
    Percy
    Percy

Who are your favorite sports teams? Empty Re: Who are your favorite sports teams?

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:03 am

I am about the biggest JETS fan you will ever meet but it KILLED me to see the Vikings lose this year because I absolutely love Brett Favre, my wife went to college with him and they are good friends to this day so we have always rooted for him and I wanted so badly for him to go out with a SB this year...

My favorite football players:

Joe Montana
    Joe Namath and Bret Favre
    Lawrence Taylor

I hear you though, I love arts, culture and all that stuff and consider myself the artsy type and most of the people I know in that community dont like sports and frown on my love for them. I do much prefer college to pros but I love all competition. Plus, for a long time I made a pretty good living gambling on sports so I was always really in to studying everything about teams, weather, coaches, strategy etc. Sports gambling is fun if youre careful and do it in moderation.
    TiffaniLane
    TiffaniLane

Post by TiffaniLane Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:27 am

Well, I love me some football. So for NFL, since im in NC, i'm a number 1 panther fan. But as always as long as my beloved saint's aren't playing the panthers, I want them to win lol. SOme people say I must not be to dedicated to my team. I should want this team to lose to move our team up yadda yadda yadda. I say man up and play some ball. I like both teams. The best will succeed.

Also VT go HOKIES!

I haven't watched baseball since back in the day's of Smotlz, McGriff, and Avery. Yeah it's been a while lol.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:35 am

it's not so much the sport i don't like it's the competition i don't get
    Splendor Solis
    Splendor Solis

Post by Splendor Solis Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:40 am

Arkansas Razorbacks in any college sport. Football, basketball, baseball, basket weaving, etc.; It doesn't matter still the Hogs. I've also been a fan of the Florida State Seminoles since I was about 12, but they're a clear 2nd.

Other than that, the Chicago Cubs and Detroit Red Wings. Don't follow NBA anymore, so no fave there. No real favorite NFL team, I'm not that invested in it.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:09 am

Any SEC team . . . although Bama not so much. It isn't the team I don't like, it is the fans that drive me nuts!

I liked different NFL teams, usually because of a particular player so it is subject to change. Long time favorite is the Saints. I recently remarried a Miami Dolphins' fan, so I cheer for them now too. I am very much an Any Team But Dallas person, but that's just an old habit.
    TandT

Post by TandT Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:29 am

Baseball - Yankees (since mid 50's)
    Basketball - UNC Tarheels ...
    Football - Panthers (yeah, me and TiffaniLane Very Happy)

although i do watch many different sports, these are the only ones that i am truly vested in ...

as far as the competition, claudicici, do you play anything ?? cards? board games? and do you play to win? or just play ? just curious ... i play to win - at everything ... and through that, i have become a graceful loser too
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 pm

ericclimbs wrote:While most of my memories of childhood are remote and fuzzy, at best, this one has always remained as clearly in my mind as the day it happened:

So I was a little kid, like 5 or 6 years old, and there I was at Sears where my parents had taken me to pick out my very own rainjacket. There was row of colorful choices all adorned in the colors and logos of the NFL. I choose a conglomeration of pastels, an aquamarine and hazy orange, a giant fish donning a football helmet. My father, a native of Washington D.C., and a diehard Redskins fan, quickly snatched it away. No son of his was gonna wear a Miami Dolphins jacket. Instead he offered me a gold and maroon Redskins coat. And then, opposite, was my Mom, born and raised in Minnesota, holding out a dizzyingly purple Vikings jacket. So there was the choice.

To me Sports are art in motion - the beauty of the physical body in movement achieving extremes of talent. I particularly enjoy football, soccer, and hockey. I get really annoyed when some arty type person shrugs off sports with disdain, as if they are so much better, so above, the entertainment of the common man.

Yeah I know the big money sports are all about business and money but they are still a joy to behold. They can be dazzlingly entertaining. The players work hard to do what they do, to keep their bodies in shape for the efforts they endure.

Okay maybe not baseball. Oh shit did I just say that?!?! Sorry, to me baseball = Sleep

Boy, I'd piss you of for sure. It's all baseball to me. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would give a shit about who won or was even playing in a game that he or she wasn't playing in.

The process of picking a favorite team or player is maybe even more baffling to me. I live near some teams stadium, so I'm supposed to buy their shit and root for them when they play teams from somewhere else, unless mom or dad used to live in one of those other places?

I spent several years in Blacksburg as a student and didn't see a single VT sporting event. It really freaked me out to see huge mobs of people show up on football game weekends dressed in really hideous orange and maroon colored sweatshirts eating nasty food and throwing footballs around in a huge asphalt parking lot on beautiful Fall days. I got the hell out of there and went hiking by myself in the mountains.

Art is about intentions and ideas. It isn't inconceivable that sport at times could be art, but generally, I'd say that dance and theater are art in motion and sport rarely in fact is. That doesn't mean that I think one is better or worse than the other, a qualitative scale like that would be irrelevant if not impossible to define. Dancers and actors train just as long and hard as football players do, they just train to do different things.

If seeing guys in skin tight suits doing whatever heroic sporting thing you like turns you on, by all means watch it. Me, I'd much rather watch women's surfing, particularly if I could mix it up with the real entertainment of the common man, a few bong hits.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 pm

blouAngel wrote:
    ericclimbs wrote:While most of my memories of childhood are remote and fuzzy, at best, this one has always remained as clearly in my mind as the day it happened:

Boy, I'd piss you of for sure. It's all baseball to me. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would give a shit about who won or was even playing in a game that he or she wasn't playing in.

The process of picking a favorite team or player is maybe even more baffling to me. I live near some teams stadium, so I'm supposed to buy their shit and root for them when they play teams from somewhere else, unless mom or dad used to live in one of those other places?

I spent several years in Blacksburg as a student and didn't see a single VT sporting event. It really freaked me out to see huge mobs of people show up on football game weekends dressed in really hideous orange and maroon colored sweatshirts eating nasty food and throwing footballs around in a huge asphalt parking lot on beautiful Fall days. I got the hell out of there and went hiking by myself in the mountains.

Art is about intentions and ideas. It isn't inconceivable that sport at times could be art, but generally, I'd say that dance and theater are art in motion and sport rarely in fact is. That doesn't mean that I think one is better or worse than the other, a qualitative scale like that would be irrelevant if not impossible to define. Dancers and actors train just as long and hard as football players do, they just train to do different things.

If seeing guys in skin tight suits doing whatever heroic sporting thing you like turns you on, by all means watch it. Me, I'd much rather watch women's surfing, particularly if I could mix it up with the real entertainment of the common man, a few bong hits.

I can see where youre coming from, I dont get rabid about it as much anymore. When I was younger I played them and enjoyed it, when I couldnt play anymore I started to bet and gamble on sports, legally, in Vegas, and did that for a few years and actually made a decent living, now I watch playoffs and superbowls and world series etc but dont really care much for the professional sports, I do love college sports though.
    AndresEscobar
    AndresEscobar

Post by AndresEscobar Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

Chicago White Sox
    Chicago Bears
    Chicago Bulls
    Chicago Blackhawks
    Northwestern Wildcats
    DePaul Blue Devils

Can you tell I'm a good southsider?

Otherwise, I like: Arizona Diamondbacks, St. Louis Cardinals, New York Mets and the San Diego Chargers
    Wes
    Wes

Post by Wes Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Dallas Cowboys
    Tennessee Volunteeers
    Cincinnati Reds

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Wes wrote:Dallas Cowboys
    Tennessee Volunteeers
    Cincinnati Reds

I hate Lane Kiffin so that makes me a Vol fan by default. WTF!?
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:27 pm

I love sports but mostly football.

I do see some art in many sports mostly because of the physical and mental talent it takes. It's not obvious at first, but knowing strategy and technique helps me enjoy sports.

For example; the douchebag quarterback for the Raiders last season, he was really big, really athletic seemed to have it all going on and therefore was the number one draft pick by the team, HOWEVER, here's the cool part; it takes the MIND and the body to be a quarterback. To me he couldn't quickly assess what was coming at him and what was down field fast enough to make a good split second decision. Good ones embody a whole zen about it, they've got massive sweaty guys after them, they must have good coordinated footwork to move in the pocket and hand/eye coordination to move the ball precisely in a zone that is catchable. And don't even get me started on receivers - they know someone is about to tackle them and they leap into the air or across the field, arms extended almost with a beautiful dancelike quality and get hit mid air.\

I don't watch sports with the "just win" attitude - I am intently analyzing their every move because like an artful performance it fascinates me. I guess it's the only form of real "reality" TV that's left.

Mr. zig was on a fantasy football team which I totally loved because even if a game is on with teams you normally wouldn't care about - you might have one of those guys on your fantasy team so there becomes an entertaining aspect to something that would otherwise not exist.

I'll admit I don't watch women's sports. I guess my primitive female likes watching the male warriors.

The one pro sport I don't enjoy watching is basketball. Something about baggy shorts and the whole look of the game is just turning me off.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:34 pm

[quote="ziggy"

The one pro sport I don't enjoy watching is basketball. Something about baggy shorts and the whole look of the game is just turning me off.[/quote]

Watching basketball makes me crazy. Too much stopping, too many "rules." No other team can take 2 seconds and drag them out for 5 minutes. I say just play and forget about all those "fouls."
    Wes
    Wes

Post by Wes Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:37 pm

The Kay wrote:
    Tennessee Volunteeers
    Cincinnati Reds

lol!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Wes wrote:
    The Kay wrote:
    Tennessee Volunteeers
    Cincinnati Reds

lol!

With all the brouhaha surrounding his abrupt departure from Tennessee, the best quote I read was, "USC can keep Kiffin. After all, every trojan needs a dick."
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 pm

The Kay wrote:
    Wes wrote:
    The Kay wrote:
    Tennessee Volunteeers
    Cincinnati Reds

lol!

With all the brouhaha surrounding his abrupt departure from Tennessee, the best quote I read was, "USC can keep Kiffin. After all, every trojan needs a dick."

I am a graduate and HUGE fan of University of Arizona athletics, I played football there in the early 90s after my military service, I was a defensive back and USC is in the same conference we are and they are enemy number one to us at U of A, hate Lane Kiffen now too. Bastard.
    Wes
    Wes

Post by Wes Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:23 pm

The Kay wrote:
    Wes wrote:
    The Kay wrote:
    Tennessee Volunteeers
    Cincinnati Reds

lol!

Very Happy

I saw that on a UT site not long after he left, but it's still very appropriate and funny.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:32 am