Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+8
Splendor Solis
claudicici
blouAngel
ziggy
Metzgermeister
DoctorZ
12 posters

All-Time Favorite Television Shows

Percy
    Percy

All-Time Favorite Television Shows Empty All-Time Favorite Television Shows

Post by Percy Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Eric started this in the "Power of movies" thread and I thought it deserved a thread of its own. Here is his post:

Re: The power of movies

All-Time Favorite Television Shows Icon_post_target by ericclimbs
    on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 2:34+
    ----
    -

Okay I think we should also include here
    worthy televison programs. Pax already mentioned Twin Peaks. I'd like
    to throw in Northern Exposure as one of the best shows to ever grace the
    vacuum tube. Also:

Dexter, of course
    Breaking
    Bad
    -- you gotta see this one -- only two seasons long so far
    Sopranos
    Six
    Feet Under

Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    -- guys this show is friggin' hilarious. If you haven't see it please
    check it out. This past Halloween I was Greenman.
    All In The
    Family
    -- good stuff for back then
    Alf --
    seriously! (you got any cats?)
    Pushing Daisies --
    short lived Tim burton-esque fairytale

Any others, I know there's
    more out there I haven't seen. Thanks to Netflix it is so much easier
    to enjoy tv shows at your own convenience.

MY LIST would be (and this isnt easy there are so many to choose from and I am just going to go with recent ones and try and not go too far back.)

Ok one oldie I just cant leave out is DARK SHADOWS, it was one of the first spooky soap opera type shows ever to air, it was mid 60s and obviously I wasnt around at the time but I have since watched them all and it is just a TERRIFIC show and was way ahead of its time. Johnny Depp is going to star in a remake thats coming out soon, I know that much.

Here is a synposis from wiki:

Dark Shadows is a Gothic soap opera that originally aired
    weekdays on the ABC television network, from June
    27, 1966 to April 2, 1971. The show was created by Dan Curtis, who tells of a dream he had in which a
    girl takes a long train ride to visit a large mansion. The story "bible," which
    was written by Art Wallace,
    does not mention any supernatural elements. It was considered daring (and
    unprecedented in daytime television) when ghosts were introduced about six months after it
    began.
    The series became hugely popular when, a year into its run, vampire Barnabas Collins, played by Jonathan Frid, appeared. In
    addition to vampires, Dark Shadows featured werewolves, ghosts, zombies, man-made monsters, witches, warlocks, time travel (both into the past and into the
    future), and a parallel universe. A small company
    of actors each played many roles and, as actors came and went, some characters
    were played by several actors. Major writers in addition to Art Wallace included
    Malcolm
    Marmorstein
    , who created the character of Barnabas Collins, Sam Hall, Gordon Russell, and
    Violet Welles.

Ok on to my Top TV Show list:

1. Definitely Twin Peaks, I am just a Twin Peaks kinda guy and that was all the shit when I was in high school, couldnt get enough Twin Peaks and have come to love everything by David Lynch he is to high weirdness and supernatural psychedlic film genre what Coppola is to mob films. Love him.

1a. Northern Exposure, just all around fun and insightful viewing.

2. Gotta go with The Sopranos here, I love mob movies and that was a very well made and surprisingly realistic show about small time mob life in Jersey.

3. Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm tie for 3rd and since they were half hour shows Ill just put them both 3rd, both are hilarious, orignial and just downright fun.

4. Six Feet Under, it took me an episode or 2 to really get in to it, once I did I couldnt get enough, really loved Claire in that show and could relate to her on so many levels in was spooky, even though she was a chick.

5. Law and Order, its a great show and very realistic from both ends of the justice system, the investigative and legal. I just really like the show and much prefer the old ones with Briscoe. I particularly liked Law and Order SVU.

6. NYPD Blues, whats not to like here, Sipowitz has to be one of the all time great TV characters.

7. In Treatment, it seems it was a short run series on HBO about a psycho therapist and his patients, I really enjoyed the show and I dont know if there are plans for another season but it was real life to me, my wife is a psychotherapist and we both really liked it and again, it was very realistic and well made with some very interesting twists.

8. Hill Street Blues, another great cop show.

9. The West Wing, actually this should be one of my top 3 but I just thought of it and dont want to redo the whole posting, but that was a very good show, all the characters were great, excellent writing and just an all around wonderfully made inside look at the Presidency, I do believe it was pretty realistic.

10. I will wrap it up with ten but there are so many more, I am gonna go with HOUSE here, its a great show and I just cant get enough of Dr House's character, the guy has a certain sociopathic narcissistic charm about him, its a really well made show and inside look at the strange and absurd.

Thats it for me, I could add GRIZZLY ADAMS, SANFORD AND SON, ALL IN THE FAMILY, BJ AND THE BEAR, MASH, THREES COMPANY and THE JEFERSONS and many other shows I enjoyed as a kid growing up, but I will leave it at this.

Yours?

Last edited by Paximus on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

All-Time Favorite Television Shows Empty Re: All-Time Favorite Television Shows

Post by karma Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 pm

OK....

I can't put in order right now but my favs, past and/or present are:

House
    NCIS
    Queer as Folk
    Law and Order SVU
    CSI Las Vegas
    Alien Nation
    Surface
    21 Jump Street
    Absolutely Fabulous
    WKRP in Cincinnati
    Fringe

I'm sure there are others, but I have a headache and can't think.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:40 pm

I like the Law and Order shows, but haven't watched them in a couple of years.

I like the "real" shows on cable -- Animal Cops, Forensic Files, Disappeared, etc.

Post by karma Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:57 am

The Kay wrote:I like the Law and Order shows, but haven't watched them in a couple of years.

I like the "real" shows on cable -- Animal Cops, Forensic Files, Disappeared, etc.
    *shiver*

I can't watch the real stuff.
    DoctorZ

Post by DoctorZ Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:28 am

The Kay wrote:I like the Law and Order shows, but haven't watched them in a couple of years.

I watch Forensic Files all the time as I'm falling asleep. It seems like I've seen the beginning of all of them but only the ending of half. Something about the narrator's voice is calming.
    Metzgermeister
    Metzgermeister

Post by Metzgermeister Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Criminal Minds xD
    Go figure, no really, and of course:

Cold Case Files
    American Justice
    South Park... .
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey Metzgermeister: All-Time Favorite Television Shows 209377
    Metzgermeister
    Metzgermeister

Post by Metzgermeister Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks Ziggy!! I'm an outcast irl fwiw (:

Just thought of another show I can't live without, Ghost Hunters, and Paranormal State/Destination Truth. Yup, Canadian TV.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Metzgermeister wrote:Criminal Minds xD
    Go figure, no really, and of course:

Cold Case Files
    American Justice
    South Park... .
    I am really liking Criminal Minds, I thought it would be cheesy but the writing is really well done, excellent plots etc.

AlsoI forgot my most favorite of all time in my list:

THE PRACTICE

Great show dealing with the moral quandry and legal ethics that lawyers deal with day in and day out. The Practice was a terrific show.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 pm

I can't believe none of you have Supernatural on your lists! It's one of the best shows ever made IMO.
    I also like:
    True Blood
    Dr. G Medical Examiner
    Forensic Files
    Dexter
    Teen Mom
    Solitary (reality game show)
    Metzgermeister
    Metzgermeister

Post by Metzgermeister Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Paximus wrote:I am really liking Criminal Minds, I thought it would be cheesy but the writing is really well done, excellent plots etc.

Recognize this fella? xD

All-Time Favorite Television Shows Inigo
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Metzgermeister wrote:
    Paximus wrote:I am really liking Criminal Minds, I thought it would be cheesy but the writing is really well done, excellent plots etc.

Recognize this fella? xD

All-Time Favorite Television Shows Inigo

Is that from The Princess Bride. I like him in Criminal Minds for sure.
    Metzgermeister
    Metzgermeister

Post by Metzgermeister Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:59 am

Yeah, it blew my mind when my BF made that connection. BLEW MY MIND. He's one of my favorite actors really, he's the reason I still watch Criminal Minds.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 am

I remember watching Dark Shadows when I was a kid. That and the Galloping Gourmet. That was when I was in 1st grade.

My favorite all time TV would have to be The Outer Limits or Monty Python's Flying Circus. Monty Python blew my mind when I was in about 7th grade. Cable TV was only a few channels so the TV listing in the local paper weren't very big. I kept seeing a listing for that show and thought it would be some sort of circus show. My parents had a tiny black and white TV in their bedroom and I went to watch it there because every one else in the family was downstairs watching something else.

I'll never forget turning it on and the fist thing I saw was a skit where a man dressed in a suit kissed his wife goodbye and left for work. As he walked out the door, a naked man stepped out of their sauna and wrapped his arms around the wife. The man in the suit then went into a shop where a naked woman stepped out from behind the counter and wrapped her arms around him. I knew I had stumbled on to something very different and watched it every week after that. That was on Public Television, which used to be great back then.

I used to get re-runs of The Outer Limits late at night after Saturday Night Live. It was the last thing they would show before shutting down the transmitter for the night. If you don't know the show, it's worth finding.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:27 am

https://www.youtube.com/user/MontyPython yes,monty python was the best ever...i remember not being able to breathe because i was laughing so hard...
    Splendor Solis
    Splendor Solis

Post by Splendor Solis Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:30 pm

1. Seinfeld
    2. Chappelle's Show (Wish they had never done season 3, though)
    3. A-Team (Thanks to Netflix, I've been watching it from the beginning again)
    4. True Blood
    5. Headbanger's Ball (Not the new version. It's not even close to what it used to be)

6-10 are pretty even for me:
    Law and Order: SVU
    Married: With Children
    Rob & Big (The only "reality" show I've ever liked)
    Cosby Show
    Tales from the Crypt
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:54 pm

I too remember watching Dark Shadows after school and I slept with a scarf on my neck - that show scared me. How I thought the scarf would protect me - no idea - I was in 5th grade! I thought Quentin was eerie while Barnabus was just uber creepy.

Fast forward a gazillion years and David Selby who played Quentin is the first cousin of my best friend's husband.

That was a great show though...very ahead of it's time.

All time favs:
    The old SNL, and some other years
    Chappel Show
    Charlie's Angels (duh)
    ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (best show ever)
    CSI Las Vegas but only with Gil
    All My Children

I never got much time to watch TV in the 80's or 90's - I was always working during prime time.
    Recently with the internet I've been able to watch a few new favorites:
    Dexter
    Damages
    Madmen
    smartie74
    smartie74

Post by smartie74 Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Family Guy is an obvious choice.-----"I've got some popsicles in the basement." All-Time Favorite Television Shows 130642
    Metzgermeister
    Metzgermeister

Post by Metzgermeister Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:50 am

Yeah Family Guy is pretty epic if you're 12.
    dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

Post by dangrsmind Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:37 am

Metzgermeister wrote:Yeah Family Guy is pretty epic if you're 12.

How old are you?
    smartie74
    smartie74

Post by smartie74 Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:56 pm

wow, getting zinged by a 21 year old newb, what is this place coming to? Ah well, to each his/her/its own is what I always say.....Have a great day all my friends and to those who are not....sigh......oh well, I will get over it I guess. All-Time Favorite Television Shows Icon_cry

Last edited by smartie74 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to throw in the fake crying smiley)
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:25 pm

smartie74 wrote:wow, getting zinged by a 21 year old newb, what is this place coming to? Ah well, to each his/her/its own is what I always say.....Have a great day all my friends and to those who are not....sigh......oh well, I will get over it I guess. All-Time Favorite Television Shows Icon_cry
    Shit I love family guy, fuck I still read and collect comic books.
    smartie74
    smartie74

Post by smartie74 Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 pm

family guy is a frickin riot. dvr goes off about 16 times a day. and obviously someone likes it with that kind of play in syndication! (obv a brewing bromance here)
    All-Time Favorite Television Shows 316827
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:56 pm

....I still like south park better than family guy,then again I only saw a few episodes,south park I probably saw them all at least twice....
    DoctorZ

Post by DoctorZ Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Metzgermeister wrote:Thanks Ziggy!! I'm an outcast irl fwiw (:

Just thought of another show I can't live without, Ghost Hunters, and Paranormal State/Destination Truth. Yup, Canadian TV.

There was an episode of Paranormal State in a prison that had a pentagram in the warden's office. The leader guy said he knew of no use for that symbol but worshiping Satan. I have refused to watch the show since.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:02 pm