Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+10
TandT
TiffaniLane
bandersnatch45
Heroine
wadahoot
ericclimbs
lil lady
Mags
tapu
Percy
14 posters

Things youve learned in life thread:

Percy
    Percy

Things youve learned in life thread: Empty Things youve learned in life thread:

Post by Percy Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:43 pm

On a whim I am starting this thread.

Things I've Learned in Life.

This should be the sort of "you don't piss into the wind" sort of thing.

I'll start.

Dont ask questions you dont want answers to.

Things youve learned in life thread: Empty Re: Things youve learned in life thread:

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Some things (and people) will just have to remain broken.

Things youve learned in life thread: Empty Re: Things youve learned in life thread:

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:41 pm

i believe in you; your family believes in you; do you believe in you?
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:45 pm

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

I try to live by that....
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:48 pm

No, wait, I've got a serious one. I made this one up, too.

The hardest thing to do is almost always the right thing to do.

(That's why we spend so much time trying to figure out what we should do. Who wants to do the hard thing? Not me.)
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Good thread, Pax.

I can cancel my subscription to Reader's Digest now!

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm

I learned an empty nest sucks! Enjoy your kids.

anddddd......You are only as good as your word. <<<<< Daddy taught me that one.

and last.....Hot flashes suck. I need cold air..
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 pm

tapu wrote:No, wait, I've got a serious one. I made this one up, too.

(That's why we spend so much time trying to figure out what we should do. Who wants to do the hard thing? Not me.)

Former University of Indiana men's basketball coach, Bob Knight was fond of saying:

"Discipline is doing what you have to do, doing it right, and doing it that way all the time."
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Paximus wrote:

Former University of Indiana men's basketball coach, Bob Knight was fond of saying:

"Discipline is doing what you have to do, doing it right, and doing it that way all the time."

Eh, mine's pithier.

(You would hold a basketball coach up to a linguist in these matters?!?)
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Paximus wrote:

I grew up with a father who taught me to be very intense, passionate, hard-headed, hot-headed, hard-nosed, give it everything you have all the time and never let up until victory has been achieved. He was a marine, I was a marine, we both served our country in times of war (something I am not always proud of), so the most important I have learned in life is to try and sit back and relax a little and enjoy what I have instead of always striving for more, and most importantly, to laugh more, laughter is truly the best medicine. I love my father and how he taught me to be but my love for him made me take it to heart and I never allowed myself to find balance in my life, so as I have aged that balance has become more important to me.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:16 pm

No matter how much you love someone and hate what they are doing to themselves, you can only try to help them so much. If they refuse to listen, you have to let them make their mistakes and learn from them. Just like you had to.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:38 pm

earthenjug wrote:No matter how much you love someone and hate what they are doing to themselves, you can only try to help them so much. If they refuse to listen, you have to let them make their mistakes and learn from them. Just like you had to.

This was a very difficult lesson for me to learn as one of my exs was a terrible addict and I was of the opinion that I could take that demon on all bt myself and win. Needless to say I had my ass handed to me, I was humbled and came to realize no matter how much you try or how much you love someone with that kind of disease there is nothing you can do for them until they decide they want to change. Its a bitch to admit that but thats how it is, like it or not.
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 pm

tapu wrote:Good thread, Pax.

I can cancel my subscription to Reader's Digest now!
    I really miss my readers digest subscription. It died with my mom. Sad
    lil lady
    lil lady

Post by lil lady Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Paximus wrote:

and when you do, do so knowing that although you may not like or agree with the answer you should at least be respectful of their response since you were dumb enough to ask in the first place! :p
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:00 pm

1. Only eat when you're hungry.

2. Even if you're hungry, don't eat shit food, you'll just feel like shit and unsatisified.

3. Don't assume the eggs will be cracked before the chicken has even had a chance to lay them.

4. When you pass the 40 year mark, if you wake up and some random part doesn't work (say for instance, your hand), don't freak out. It'll probably be fine tomorrow.

5. Always choose the cobbler.
    ericclimbs
    ericclimbs

Post by ericclimbs Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:43 am

Paximus wrote:
    earthenjug wrote:No matter how much you love someone and hate what they are doing to themselves, you can only try to help them so much. If they refuse to listen, you have to let them make their mistakes and learn from them. Just like you had to.

This was a very difficult lesson for me to learn as one of my exs was a terrible addict and I was of the opinion that I could take that demon on all bt myself and win. Needless to say I had my ass handed to me, I was humbled and came to realize no matter how much you try or how much you love someone with that kind of disease there is nothing you can do for them until they decide they want to change. Its a bitch to admit that but thats how it is, like it or not.

Yeah that's a mountain of wisdom right there though most people can't see it even though its right in front of them. No matter how much you love someone you absolutely cannot help them through negative situations unless they are willing to help themselves. Some people don't love themselves and, if they can't love themselves, they will never accept the love of others.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:44 pm

lil lady wrote:
    Paximus wrote:

and when you do, do so knowing that although you may not like or agree with the answer you should at least be respectful of their response since you were dumb enough to ask in the first place! :p
    I agree with both of these

I always loved this one from Jim Croce
    “Nobody ever had a rainbow baby, until they had the rain”

And one I learned from my Grandfather
    “The only thing a person owns is his good name”

I try to live my life with integrity. I don’t always make it, but each time I don’t I learn a great leason.
    wadahoot
    wadahoot

Post by wadahoot Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:36 pm

One I always said to my son (who, btw, Tapu is only 21, not 22 ... you're making me old!):

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.
    Heroine
    Heroine
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Heroine Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:39 pm

Here's what I've learned in life:
    "What goes around, comes around" is a very true saying indeed!!
    I may even have that engraved on my headstone. haha!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:21 pm

wadahoot wrote:One I always said to my son (who, btw, Tapu is only 21, not 22 ... you're making me old!):

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

Very true

Also doing the right thing even if you can be harmed in the end
    Or to put it another way, if you screw up, admit it and take the punishment. Don’t hide from the truth
    wadahoot
    wadahoot

Post by wadahoot Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:49 pm

dabobkat wrote:[... if you screw up, admit it and take the punishment. Don’t hide from the truth

That was a hard one for me to learn, but I live better and with a healthier conscience since!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:15 pm

wadahoot wrote:
    dabobkat wrote:[... if you screw up, admit it and take the punishment. Don’t hide from the truth

That was a hard one for me to learn, but I live better and with a healthier conscience since!
    Me too
    I figure it this way
    I look lousy with a beard
    If I don’t own what I do I can’t look at myself in the mirror
    If I can’t look at myself in the mirror I can’t shave

It’s a very logical progression
    bandersnatch45
    bandersnatch45

Post by bandersnatch45 Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 am

How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one, but the lightbulb has to want to change.
    TiffaniLane
    TiffaniLane

Post by TiffaniLane Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Don't waste your breath trying to explain yourself to someone. If you have to explain yourself, they aren't that good of a friend anyway and you'll never be able to convey the sincerity in the nature of your explanation.
    TandT

Post by TandT Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm

One of my favorite quotes .... "A day without laughter is a day misspent." ee cummings

and another favorite: Hanlon's Razor: Don't attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:48 am