Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

4 posters

News Beat 4-29-10-Arizona Immigration Law

Percy
    Percy

News Beat 4-29-10-Arizona Immigration Law - Page 3 Empty Re: News Beat 4-29-10-Arizona Immigration Law

Post by Percy Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:28 pm

ziggy wrote:I agree with you mostly but you did you forget what the Irish went through? They had their time of discrimination too; albiet not as bad as the Jews have suffered. I can't stand ANY kind of racism but I refuse to jump on the band wagon that claims any kind of statistical data of a group is racial profiling.

I agree most Mexican illegals are hard workers and one bad apple spoils the bunch, but that it the way it is. I am equally concerned about an open border and who from other countries uses Mexico to get here under the radar. It's a far too dangerous and different world now.

I loathe that we have used Mexico for cheap labor - I have been for this kind of reform for years and I keep being told a head of lettuce will go up in price? What? Are you fucking kidding me? Who cares? We need to do the right thing and put a workable and legal system in place for the good of those hard working people and for our country's best interest in safety and sustainability of the economy. No more CEOs making money off the backs of illegal immigrant workers. Hey, here's an idea - put some of those welfare crack hos to work. In truth I'd rather help an illegal hard-working Mexican, but we have to reform every part of the fucked up system.

And about the chit chat and patience on getting things done ala U.N. - that just does not work for me. I am a get it done now person. There is no need to wait and be all nicey, nicey - I have zero patience for that crap when there are people in need of real change that doesn't have to come with some "ease".
    Its very easy when you have blond hair and blue eyes to say racial profilling is a non-issue. You and I both know it happens and no matter what, it is wrong. The color of a person's skin is not and should not ever be probable cause and that is precisely what the Arizona LE will be using when they stop any hispanic now and demand documentation for citizenship.

One Sheriff in Pima County in the Tucson area is already refusing to abide by the law and Tucson is the worst hit of any city in the US with illegals since its only 20 minutes from one of the main borders. He said there is no way he will ever tell his officer that brown skin is probable cause to stop someone.
    claudicici
    claudicici

News Beat 4-29-10-Arizona Immigration Law - Page 3 Empty Re: News Beat 4-29-10-Arizona Immigration Law

Post by claudicici Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:10 pm

well,there is a stereotype that blondes are dumb so Ziggy doesn't it bother you that you have to prove to people that believe in that stereotype your intelligence because it's being doubted because of your hair color?...now what if being dumb was punished with prison sentences and deportation....and you have to be uncomfortable day and night in your own skin because of your blonde hair...
    I almost agreed with you in that quote percy is using up there and then I read "put those welfare crack ho's to work"...statements like that make me litterally sick to my stomach...you went from classifying illegal immigrants as involved in drug trade and other crimes and then said "ok,ok most of them are hard workers" straight to saying people on welfare are drugaddicts involved in prostitution?
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:32 pm

I am interested in hearing what some of you think is the solution to the immigration problem, giving the police sweeping power to demand papers is certainly not a solution I find acceptable so what is the answer here?

I have said all along that if the US were to invest in making Mexico a better place that would go a long way in fixing this problem but for some strange reason our leaders have never thought of that I guess. No matter what you do, if they want to come they will come, thats the bottom line.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Ziggy is Ziggy because she is...Ziggy. We dont always agree on everything but I appreciate her willingness to call it like she sees in. I think fundmentally her and I agree on more than we disagree on. I, like her, think that we have become whiney and entitlement minded people looking for any and every handout we can get. We want instant gratification everyone else be damned and we dont want to put in the hard work it takes to get to the top. However, unlike some on the right who rail on and on against these "welfare crack ho moms" I have tried over the years to understand why they have become what they have become. I have spent a lot of time in the bad areas of the cities I have lived in, mostly because I have always loved to play basketball and the inner city hood is the best place to play if you want to play against good players. I have seen how hard these people have it and how their schools are much worse than the schools most of us went to and how they have little hope of getting out of there and making something of themselves. I have seen how many of them have turned to drugs to deal with the pain of growing up in this type of enviroment and I have further seen how drug addiction is a REAL DISEASE and one of the most destructive diseases known to man. I seriously doubt these crack hos, as we call them, are sitting around happy that they game and take advtange of the system, they are sick and in need of serious help. I think they are just doing what they need to do to survive each day, and doing the best they can to do with their sickness (addiction) the best they can. We see celebrities dealing with addiction everyday but we dont call them crack hos because they can afford to go to beach side rehab resorts and get cleaned up, something the poverty stricken cannot do. I dont like that the system is used this way but I think we need to try and understand why these people do it and not be so harsh in our judgment of them. We need to really try and help them, to boost their confidence and self respect instead of putting them down and making them feel bad about themselves, which is all they have ever known.\
    I think people do need to get off their asses and work hard for whatever they want and they need to stop whining and making excuses for everything bad that has happened to them, but we also need to understand that when you are poor and have nothing, not even hope that tomorrow may be a better day, you sometimes have no choice but do to what you need to do to make it go away for a while and unfortunately that often leads to addiction, which is a real sickness, a disease, and not always a choice itself.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 pm

claudicici wrote:well,there is a stereotype that blondes are dumb so Ziggy doesn't it bother you that you have to prove to people that believe in that stereotype your intelligence because it's being doubted because of your hair color?...now what if being dumb was punished with prison sentences and deportation....and you have to be uncomfortable day and night in your own skin because of your blonde hair...
    I almost agreed with you in that quote percy is using up there and then I read "put those welfare crack ho's to work"...statements like that make me litterally sick to my stomach...you went from classifying illegal immigrants as involved in drug trade and other crimes and then said "ok,ok most of them are hard workers" straight to saying people on welfare are drugaddicts involved in prostitution?

Being "brown" is not what will get people arrested. Being illegal is what will get them arrested.

I don't think Ziggy was saying that all welfare recipients are crack ho's. I think she is saying that we should put those who are to work -- instead of giving them money.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Kay wrote:
    claudicici wrote:well,there is a stereotype that blondes are dumb so Ziggy doesn't it bother you that you have to prove to people that believe in that stereotype your intelligence because it's being doubted because of your hair color?...now what if being dumb was punished with prison sentences and deportation....and you have to be uncomfortable day and night in your own skin because of your blonde hair...

Being "brown" is not what will get people arrested. Being illegal is what will get them arrested.

I don't think Ziggy was saying that all welfare recipients are crack ho's. I think she is saying that we should put those who are to work -- instead of giving them money.

Ok but how will the police DETERMINE, which is what we in the legal world call probable cause, who may or may not be illegal. This new AZ law REQUIRES the police to stop anyone they BELIEVE MIGHT BE IN THE COUNTRY ILLEGALLY and ask them for documentation of citizenship. So what will be the deciding factor as to who they will stop and ask this of? Brown skin. Brown skin will be the probable cause the police will use to stop someone and ask them if they have citizenship papers and as far as I know no court has ever upheld the idea that the color of a person's skin can be used as probable cause.

You are right that the brown skin isnt what will get them arrested and that being here illegally is what will, but thats not what my concern is, my concern is what deciding factor the police will use to determine who to ask these questions of, and that, frankly, will be the color of a persons skin. Do you think they will be just be randomly stopping anyone, white, green or brown and asking them for papers? No. They will be specifrically stopping hispanics and asking them to prove their citizenship and if they cannot the police now have TWO CHOICES, they can either arrest and prosecute for voilation of state law OR turn them over to Immigration and Naturalization. The latter was the only choice they had before this law and the former is the new option, to prosecute for voilation of state law, since it has never been a voilation of state law to be an illegal immigrant and has always been a matter of federal jurisdiction but this law now makes it a state crime to be here illegally so the authorities can prosecute on those grounds.

But again, that isnt the issue, the issue is and will remain, PROBABLE CAUSE. LE must have probable cause to stop and question you, that could be anything from acting strangely to swerving around in your car or fitting the description of an eye witness to a crime but it never has been soley the color of a persons skin ALONE and thats what it is with this new AZ law and that is unacceptable NOT because I like them being here illegally and not because I dont want to do something about it but because of the PRECEDENT that this will set.

What if they made a law that every arab person should be stopped and questioned and forced to prove they are not a terrorist? That would be unacceptable and there isnt much difference here, its the same slippery slope and once you start to set legal precedence like that there is no going back. You need to consider the long term consequences of laws like this and not just their immediate solution to a problem. Thats the problem with right wing type thinkers, they are reactionary and they dont much consider the long term consequences of what they are doing they only consider what it will do in the here and now but that isnt how our legal system works, our legal system is built on precedence, it is the very bedrock of the US legal system and something you must consider with every law that is passed, not only how it will effect the here and now but how it will open the door for other things in the future and this law will open doors for some very bad things in the future if we dont put an end to it.

IF the law were to say "in the process of stopping someone with due probable cause, such as a traffic voilation or other suspcious behavior, you may ask them for proof of citizenship during such a stop," I MIGHT be ok with that but it still poses some problems to consider but at least the color of the person's skin itself isnt the original probable cause like it is now.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:35 pm

Percy wrote:
    Kay wrote:

Ok but how will the police DETERMINE, which is what we in the legal world call probable cause, who may or may not be illegal. This new AZ law REQUIRES the police to stop anyone they BELIEVE MIGHT BE IN THE COUNTRY ILLEGALLY and ask them for documentation of citizenship. So what will be the deciding factor as to who they will stop and ask this of? Brown skin. Brown skin will be the probable cause the police will use to stop someone and ask them if they have citizenship papers and as far as I know no court has ever upheld the idea that the color of a person's skin can be used as probable cause.

You are right that the brown skin isnt what will get them arrested and that being here illegally is what will, but thats not what my concern is, my concern is what deciding factor the police will use to determine who to ask these questions of, and that, frankly, will be the color of a persons skin. Do you think they will be just be randomly stopping anyone, white, green or brown and asking them for papers? No. They will be specifrically stopping hispanics and asking them to prove their citizenship and if they cannot the police now have TWO CHOICES, they can either arrest and prosecute for voilation of state law OR turn them over to Immigration and Naturalization. The latter was the only choice they had before this law and the former is the new option, to prosecute for voilation of state law, since it has never been a voilation of state law to be an illegal immigrant and has always been a matter of federal jurisdiction but this law now makes it a state crime to be here illegally so the authorities can prosecute on those grounds.

But again, that isnt the issue, the issue is and will remain, PROBABLE CAUSE. LE must have probable cause to stop and question you, that could be anything from acting strangely to swerving around in your car or fitting the description of an eye witness to a crime but it never has been soley the color of a persons skin ALONE and thats what it is with this new AZ law and that is unacceptable NOT because I like them being here illegally and not because I dont want to do something about it but because of the PRECEDENT that this will set.

What if they made a law that every arab person should be stopped and questioned and forced to prove they are not a terrorist? That would be unacceptable and there isnt much difference here, its the same slippery slope and once you start to set legal precedence like that there is no going back. You need to consider the long term consequences of laws like this and not just their immediate solution to a problem. Thats the problem with right wing type thinkers, they are reactionary and they dont much consider the long term consequences of what they are doing they only consider what it will do in the here and now but that isnt how our legal system works, our legal system is built on precedence, it is the very bedrock of the US legal system and something you must consider with every law that is passed, not only how it will effect the here and now but how it will open the door for other things in the future and this law will open doors for some very bad things in the future if we dont put an end to it.

As mentioned in the previously posted opinion pieces/articles, "probable cause" has been defined by the Supreme Court for a long, long time. Do you think Arizona law enforcement are able to follow the law when interpreting "probable cause" for other crimes, but now will not be able to do so in regard to his law?

IMO, you are biased against law enforcement. I have come to that opinion based on statements you have made regarding law enforcement.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:48 pm

Kay wrote:
    Percy wrote:
    Kay wrote:

As mentioned in the previously posted opinion pieces/articles, "probable cause" has been defined by the Supreme Court for a long, long time. Do you think Arizona law enforcement are able to follow the law when interpreting "probable cause" for other crimes, but now will not be able to do so in regard to his law?

IMO, you are biased against law enforcement. I have come to that opinion based on statements you have made regarding law enforcement.

I am not biased against LE at all, they have a job to do and its my job to make sure they follow the law when they do it NOT because I am biased AGAINST THEM but because I want to protect the rest of us from being wrongfully accused. Someone has to fight and make sure that the police follow the law when they do their jobs and thats what most criminal defense attornies do. The police have to follow a certain process, usually referred to as due process when they want to arrest and charge someone with a crime, in our legal system it doesnt matter IF YOU COMITTED the crime or not, what matters is HOW THE POLICE WERE ABLE TO DETERMINE that you did it, they have a process and laws they have to follow to make that determination and if we allow them to WORK OUTSIDE OF THAT PROCESS and THOSE LAWS then its a very fine line between freedom and tyranny. Thats why it is very important that we allow the authorties to do their jobs but that we make sure that they dont BREAK THE LAW trying to ENFORCE THE LAW and all too often they do exactly that and yes, that sometimes does help them get the bad guys but it also makes it more common that innocent people like you and I are wrongfully accused and charged with crimes, so again, we have to hold the police to a higher standard.IF we are going to trust these people with a gun and a badge and the power to do pretty much whatever they need to do to get the bad guys then we need to make sure we have people watching them and making sure they follow the law while trying to enforce it. I know to you that may sound like a bias against cops but I can assure you that isnt the case, its more of a bias IN FAVOR of freedom over tyranny and I am thankfull to all those who came before me and were willing to sacrifice their own reputations in order to protect the innocent from being wrongfully accused. Innocent people who are wrongfully accused, charged and convicted of crimes DOES HAPPEN more than we all want to admit and someone needs to make sure it doesnt happen any more than it already does, if that means holding the police to a higher standard and making sure they also follow the law when trying to enforce it then so be it, somebody has to do it and like I said, I am personally grateful to those who came before me and did exactly that, its because of them that this country remains free today, without them this nation would have been a police state back in the 60s and god knows where we would be today.

Thank you Alan Dershowitz.

It is indeed a matter of probable cause, I spoke with the Pima County Sheriff Clerance Dupnik by phone this afternoon for a piece I am writing for our local paper and he told me in his county this law will not be enforced because he cannot tell his deputies in good faith to simply stop every hispanic and ask them for papers, he said if, in the process of a normal stop, they have reason to believe someone is here illegally, he would have no problem asking that person to provide proof of citizenship, but that isnt what this law says, no matter how many talking heads and pundits try and tell you otherwise, this law will allow the authorties to stop anyone they believe is here illegally and ask for proof of citizenship, SO WHAT IS THE DECIDING FACTOR THAT WILL THAT OFFICER TO DETERMINE IF A PERSON IS HERE ILLEGALLY?? The fact that they are HISPANIC, and that is unacceptable, if we allow that its a short trip to allowing many other types of profiling which I dont think you would like either, if you really considered the consequences of it all.

Last edited by Percy on Sat May 01, 2010 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat May 01, 2010 12:15 am

Kay, I know you mean well and I do think I know why you sense such a bias in me, its because I do indeed have a healthy amount of disdain for all authority in general, I am deep inside an anarchist, I was a hard core anarchist punk rocker when I was younger and it is really who I am, but I know we live in a world and society where some law and order is needed so I decided that the least I could do was to make sure that those who enforce the law follow it themselves, thats all. Do I like police? Not really, but I do recognize their place in society and the need for them to be able to do their jobs, but you should recognize my and others place in society when we work to make sure they follow the law when they do it.

I have never once taken a case and said to myself "Well here is a great opportunity to get a rapist off and get him back on the streets." I take every case with one purpose in mind and that is to make sure my clients rights are recognized and that the law, due process if you will, is followed during his arrest, charge and conviction. If it is followed and he is convicted then he needs to serve his time for what he did, but if the law is not followed then something needs to be done about that to protect the next person accused which could be you, I or anyone else here.

I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh go on and on every day about defense lawyers and the ACLU and how we are the scum of the earth and how the world would be such a better place without people like us. Then when the state came after him for taking pain medicine prescriptions from ten different doctors at the same time, called doctor shopping what was the first thing he did? He hired the best criminal defense attorney he could find and went immediately to the ACLU and said his rights were being voilated. And they both went to work for him and did everything they could to protect him and make sure his rights were not voilated further.

Now to this day he sings a different tune commonly saying that during that dark time in his life that the only people who stood by him and believed in him were his attorney and the ACLU.

I guess you just cant appreciate people like that until you need them.

The Simpson/LAPD case is a nice example of all of this. Most people look at that case and all they see is that OJ walked, they say he bought his way out of jail and thats the end of the discussion. They dont like what they saw because their view of it is very limited and narrow but when I look at that case I see a police dept that had became desensitized to the process, a police dept that had been dealing with so much gang voilence etc that they started to just do whatever they had to do to get convictions and get people off the streets and the DA went right along with them. They didnt care about the law anymore and in many cases many of the officers and prosecutors had even developed racial hatred that they didnt even hide anymore. In walks the Dream Team, some of the best attornies in the world and what they do they, they immediately put LAPD on trial and showed the world how sloppy this police dept, one of the biggest in the nation, had become. What followed was OJ getting aquitted but more important LAPD forced to take a very close look at themselves and how they handled their business and THAT RESULTED in LAPD becoming a much better and more effective police dept, they still arent perfect but they are MUCH BETTER today than they were before the Simpson case and they were forced to become better because they were forced to look at how bad they had become. If thats what it takes to make the police better and get them to do their jobs better then I will take it, one man walking free and a police dept that is better and more effective, a good trade off IMO. The alternative would have been OJ being convicted and LAPD never called to task for their behavior, sloppy way of doing things and breaking the law as they see fit to get arrests and convictions.

There is nothing wrong with supporting LE but police misconduct happens more than you realize, cops break the law and bend the rules all the time to get arrests. I see cases where cops planted evidence and admit to it at least once a month, unacceptable.
    Dont worry though, the immigrtion problem is starting to fix itself.

The main reason many people originally wanted to live in the US was that there was freedom from precisely this type of government. Personal and economic freedom, civil liberty. That there was more work or better living conditions was a direct result of this. That kind of environment produced and attracted people of a certain mindset.

But over the years, freedom and principle were abandoned in favor of pragmatism and short term interest. WWI and WWII were an important part of the adoption of the FRN and the implementation of global financial policies. People supported it because they were hungry or scared into abandoning individual freedom and personal responsiblity and flocking to socialism, entitlements and dependence. That system has produced and attracted people who are less concerned with ideas, reason or principle and more concerned with doing whatever it takes to receive from gov't as many "benefits" and handouts as it takes to maintain the only thing one has left after his freedom is gone - a nice stable. "Hay and barn for human cattle."

As the US loses what first made it attractive, it might finally achieve the apparently impossible and cease to be a beacon for the freedom loving people of the world. But if it does, it will also do away with what made it successful, so it might also lose the hay and barn.

At that point, at long last, no one might any longer be trying to enter the prison the US would have become and privileged supporters of the police state would be happy as they enjoy their cushy cells.

As for probable cause lets see what the law itself says:
    Page one section 2:

For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official of this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States. A reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of said person.

The law is obviously very vague like most laws so it leaves a lot of room for judcial interpretation but I thnk its pretty clear that the only reasonable suspicion or probable cause an officer would need to stop and ask someone for papers is " I believed that this person was here illegally."
    Well so what, many used to believe the earth was flat, whats your point?

Last edited by Percy on Sat May 01, 2010 3:03 am; edited 2 times in total
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Sat May 01, 2010 2:49 am

...I know Ziggy knows I love her and respect her very much and I'm glad there's people on this board with different opinions otherwise we would have nothing to talk about and couldn't learn from each other....
    IMO the US is not helping Mexico become a better place because they want and need the illegal immigration just like Ziggy said,so the price of a head of lettuce won't go up...and it really is a form of modern day slavery.
    Another thing that would help with illegal immigration is to legalize Marijuana I think so LE would only deal with going after the real big fish and the real dangerous drugs.
    Another thing that would help with illegal immigration is if there actually would be a process for legal immigration but there's not.It looks good the way it's posted but try it yourself,legal immigration is pretty much impossible,because they want you to enter illegally....
    ...about welfare....if you are a single mom in the U.S. with an education level that qualifies you for only a minimum wage job there's no way in hell you can make it without help...the reason is the cost of day care...
    the cost of day care is ridiculous.there's no way you can afford $150 a week for daycare if you're making $250 a week...ohhhhh wait,you could work at a strip club or prostitute yourself,hey,but you might have to be completely high to loose every ounce of self respect and next thing you know you're a crackaddicted ho...
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat May 01, 2010 11:44 am

claudicici wrote:...I know Ziggy knows I love her and respect her very much and I'm glad there's people on this board with different opinions otherwise we would have nothing to talk about and couldn't learn from each other....
    IMO the US is not helping Mexico become a better place because they want and need the illegal immigration just like Ziggy said,so the price of a head of lettuce won't go up...and it really is a form of modern day slavery.
    Another thing that would help with illegal immigration is to legalize Marijuana I think so LE would only deal with going after the real big fish and the real dangerous drugs.
    Another thing that would help with illegal immigration is if there actually would be a process for legal immigration but there's not.It looks good the way it's posted but try it yourself,legal immigration is pretty much impossible,because they want you to enter illegally....
    ...about welfare....if you are a single mom in the U.S. with an education level that qualifies you for only a minimum wage job there's no way in hell you can make it without help...the reason is the cost of day care...
    the cost of day care is ridiculous.there's no way you can afford $150 a week for daycare if you're making $250 a week...ohhhhh wait,you could work at a strip club or prostitute yourself,hey,but you might have to be completely high to loose every ounce of self respect and next thing you know you're a crackaddicted ho...
    Yeap.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Sat May 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Percy said:

It is indeed a matter of probable cause, I spoke with the Pima County
    Sheriff Clerance Dupnik by phone this afternoon for a piece I am writing
    for our local paper and he told me in his county this law will not be
    enforced because he cannot tell his deputies in good faith to simply
    stop every hispanic and ask them for papers

The Sheriff could be breaking the law if he did tell his deputies to do what you've stated above. That new law does not says the above is what is supposed to be done. I think it is nothing but a form of propaganda to start saying that "probable cause" is simply because one is Hispanic.

but I know we live in a world and society where some law and order is
    needed so I decided that the least I could do was to make sure that
    those who enforce the law follow it themselves, thats all.

Your stance on immigration laws is opposite of what you have stated here. We ARE a nation of laws that need to be enforced . . . not pick and chose.

Do I like
    police? Not really
    , but I do recognize their place in society and the
    need for them to be able to do their jobs, but you should recognize my
    and others place in society when we work to make sure they follow the
    law when they do it.

There you go. You don't like them. I don't think you even distinguish between not liking bad cops, you just don't like them at all. You know, your opinion regarding cops kind of reminds me of the broad-brush opinion regarding attorneys. People criticize attorneys as being scum-sucking bottom dwellers who are greedy and will do anything for the might dollar. And while there are some attorneys who fit that description, the majority of attorneys do not. They're honest people who are trying to help others, trying to protect our constitutional rights, trying to obtain some type of satisfaction for injured parties. Critics totally ignore the good things that have come from attorneys, such as causing certain products to be made safer (automobiles, medicine, etc.). It is a shame that is so easy to blame an entire group based on the bad apples in the bunch. And when it comes to critics of law enforcement, I always wonder who they're going to call when they need help? As much as you may dislike law enforcement, I have a feeling you're still going to call 9-1-1 when you need help.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Sat May 01, 2010 1:29 pm

claudicici wrote:...I know Ziggy knows I love her and respect her very much and I'm glad there's people on this board with different opinions otherwise we would have nothing to talk about and couldn't learn from each other....

I think one way to help with illegal immigration is to start enforcing the law and going after those employers who hire illegals. Of course, our federal government has not done their job in enforcing immigration laws in a long time.

Sometimes personal responsibility goes a long way in helping one to get ahead. When I started out on my own, minimum wage was $2.06 per hour. That's all I was qualified to earn because I had no marketable skills. Why should have anyone paid me more? It took me over 10 years to get my two-year college degree in order to better myself. It was very difficult working full-time (and sometimes a part-time job also) and going to classes at the same time. Sometimes I had to hitchhike or walk to get to work/school. I just did what I had to do, without thinking that it was the government's responsibility to do it for me. Working hard to better oneself -- it's the American way.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat May 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Kay wrote:

I think one way to help with illegal immigration is to start enforcing the law and going after those employers who hire illegals. Of course, our federal government has not done their job in enforcing immigration laws in a long time.

Sometimes personal responsibility goes a long way in helping one to get ahead. When I started out on my own, minimum wage was $2.06 per hour. That's all I was qualified to earn because I had no marketable skills. Why should have anyone paid me more? It took me over 10 years to get my two-year college degree in order to better myself. It was very difficult working full-time (and sometimes a part-time job also) and going to classes at the same time. Sometimes I had to hitchhike or walk to get to work/school. I just did what I had to do, without thinking that it was the government's responsibility to do it for me. Working hard to better oneself -- it's the American way.

The best way to put an end to illegal immigration would be for the US to stop exploiting Mexico but exploiting the rest of the world is what America has always done best, why would be expect any different when it comes to Mexico?

Post by Guest Sat May 01, 2010 1:54 pm

No one asked me but this being the internet forum that it is I will interject my opinion anyway.
    I think that police are like any other profession. Some officers are great at it. Some officers are terrible. Most officers are somewhere in between. They do a hard often thankless job and the decisions they make are constantly critiqued by people who have the luxury of time and the advantage of hindsight. The debate on this forum started over a new law in Arizona. A critiism of this law is NOT a rejection of law enforcement. If you browse on line a bit you see that some of this specific laws most outspoken opponents are police.
    Kay I admire that you worked hard and built a better life for yourself. I think it is an oversimplification of the problems facing many families today to just suggest that they need to work harder. That is my opinion from a college educated father of two that works 60 hours on a light week and more often closer to 70.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat May 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Scott wrote:No one asked me but this being the internet forum that it is I will interject my opinion anyway.
    I think that police are like any other profession. Some officers are great at it. Some officers are terrible. Most officers are somewhere in between. They do a hard often thankless job and the decisions they make are constantly critiqued by people who have the luxury of time and the advantage of hindsight. The debate on this forum started over a new law in Arizona. A critiism of this law is NOT a rejection of law enforcement. If you browse on line a bit you see that some of this specific laws most outspoken opponents are police.
    Kay I admire that you worked hard and built a better life for yourself. I think it is an oversimplification of the problems facing many families today to just suggest that they need to work harder. That is my opinion from a college educated father of two that works 60 hours on a light week and more often closer to 70.

There is no doubt about what you say, like everything else it is easy for us to sit and criticize things from a safe distance. But, having seen what I have seen over the years, and I must say I have seen very little compared to most in my profession, but certainly enough to convince me that every dept has its problems and there are a lot of corrupt cops out there who bend and even break the law to do what it is they want to do and I understand you cant judge them all because of a few bad apples but it only takes one to fuck the entire process up resulting in an innocent person being wrongfully accused and imprisoned and IMO one person is one person too many.

I understand the arguement that sometimes the police have their hands tied and cant do their jobs but it has to be that way to protect the rest of us, its simply cant be any other way or we start walking that very slippery slope again.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Sat May 01, 2010 2:49 pm

Scott wrote:No one asked me but this being the internet forum that it is I will interject my opinion anyway.

Scott, my example is an oversimplification of problems facing a lot of families today. But it is a start. I know there are people that need help, and they should be helped. Welfare programs should be a transition program . . . assistance while you're bettering yourself. When someone goes from welfare to work, they should not have their payment stopped, they ought to have some sort of reduction-to-total-phase-out period. There should be (and there is here in my town) low income day care centers where low income earners can afford day care so they can go to work. I am 100% for helping people help themselves. Some people are too disabled to ever be able to support themselves, and we should help. I believe people have a moral obligation to help each other.

However, I am sick and tired of meeting people who are third generation welfare recipients. Their grandparents, parents and themselves have done NOTHING but receive welfare. Everyone in their family is unemployed. Most of them have never tried to work. Just about all of them have criminal histories. They take advantage of social program after social program after social program and still do nothing to help themselves. There are so many ways for people to improve their situations, but our social programs have given them a sense of entitlement. Why should they work hard for $400 a week when they can sit on their butt and collect the same amount in welfare? Their attitude is that it is "owed" to them.

I have an acquaintance who was just bragging that she has started getting food stamps. She will collect around $250 per month. She is 46-years old. She is not disabled. She has some job skills and has in fact been employed in the past. However, she would much rather hang out at the corner bar and drink beer, and screw around. When someone asked her why she did not try to find a part-time, she just laughed and asked, "Why should I?" I cannot think of one reason why she should be given food stamps. They're not even making her try to find work, or show why she cannot work. This is the type of "help" that I'm against. This is the type of "help" that ruins people.

So while I realize "work harder" is an oversimplified answer, I do think that more people ought to give it a try.

In regard to law enforcement and the immigration bill, I was responding to Percy's comments about how law enforcement are just going to start stopping people because they have brown skin (or similar comments). I also have read that similar response from a lot of people in regards to this bill. So I wonder if all those people think that Arizona law enforcement will suddenly forget about probable cause or if they think that these cops never followed the laws to begin with.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat May 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Kay wrote:

Scott, my example is an oversimplification of problems facing a lot of families today. But it is a start. I know there are people that need help, and they should be helped. Welfare programs should be a transition program . . . assistance while you're bettering yourself. When someone goes from welfare to work, they should not have their payment stopped, they ought to have some sort of reduction-to-total-phase-out period. There should be (and there is here in my town) low income day care centers where low income earners can afford day care so they can go to work. I am 100% for helping people help themselves. Some people are too disabled to ever be able to support themselves, and we should help. I believe people have a moral obligation to help each other.

However, I am sick and tired of meeting people who are third generation welfare recipients. Their grandparents, parents and themselves have done NOTHING but receive welfare. Everyone in their family is unemployed. Most of them have never tried to work. Just about all of them have criminal histories. They take advantage of social program after social program after social program and still do nothing to help themselves. There are so many ways for people to improve their situations, but our social programs have given them a sense of entitlement. Why should they work hard for $400 a week when they can sit on their butt and collect the same amount in welfare? Their attitude is that it is "owed" to them.

I have an acquaintance who was just bragging that she has started getting food stamps. She will collect around $250 per month. She is 46-years old. She is not disabled. She has some job skills and has in fact been employed in the past. However, she would much rather hang out at the corner bar and drink beer, and screw around. When someone asked her why she did not try to find a part-time, she just laughed and asked, "Why should I?" I cannot think of one reason why she should be given food stamps. They're not even making her try to find work, or show why she cannot work. This is the type of "help" that I'm against. This is the type of "help" that ruins people.

So while I realize "work harder" is an oversimplified answer, I do think that more people ought to give it a try.

In regard to law enforcement and the immigration bill, I was responding to Percy's comments about how law enforcement are just going to start stopping people because they have brown skin (or similar comments). I also have read that similar response from a lot of people in regards to this bill. So I wonder if all those people think that Arizona law enforcement will suddenly forget about probable cause or if they think that these cops never followed the laws to begin with.

But the fact that they are hispanic IS THE REASON they will be stopped, a non hispanic doesnt have to worry about this bill, the basis of the probable cause will be 'I believe this person is here illegally therefore I checked to see if I was right."

I respect that we have a different opinion on these matters, I am who I am and I cant change that, I have a healthy disdain for all authority figures and I always have, its really as simple as that, I dont like authority of any kind.

Post by Guest Sat May 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Some of you have heard me say this before.
    To go along with my views on the police, the work that defense attorneys do and the restrictions that the law places on the police are what keeps America from being North Korean. Perhaps this is the wrong thread but I will use the example of Sam McCroskey. He murdered a friend of mine BUT I am glad that he has the best defense attorney that is available to him. He will die in prison not because he was unpopular, not becuase his music was offensive, not because the police have anything personal against him but becuase he committed murder. The police are doing their job by arresting him and gathering evidence, Ennis is doing his job by prosecuting, and Bowen is doing his job by defending. Everyone benefits by having good people working on both sides. We cannot minimize the contributions made on both sides. The work they both bring some sense of balance to ths system.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Sat May 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Percy said:

I respect that we have a different opinion on these matters, I am who I
    am and I cant change that, I have a healthy disdain for all authority
    figures and I always have, its really as simple as that, I dont like
    authority of any kind.

Does "authority of any kind" extend to parental authority? How will you raise your children to respect your authority? Don't take that as a personal insult, I'm just wondering how you will be able to balance your dislike of authority with teaching your children to respect authority (yours, teachers', etc.).
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Sat May 01, 2010 4:40 pm

Percy said:

But the fact that they are hispanic IS THE REASON they will be stopped, a
    non hispanic doesnt have to worry about this bill, the basis of the
    probable cause will be 'I believe this person is here illegally
    therefore I checked to see if I was right."

Not if they follow the law:

The law will allow police to engage in racial profiling. Actually,
    Section 2 provides that a law enforcement official “may not solely consider race, color or national origin”
    in making any stops or determining immigration status. In addition, all
    normal Fourth Amendment protections against profiling will continue to
    apply. In fact, the Arizona law actually reduces the likelihood of
    race-based harassment by compelling police officers to contact the
    federal government as soon as is practicable when they suspect a
    person is an illegal alien, as opposed to letting them make arrests on
    their own assessment.

I believe the police, at least most of them, are capable of following the law.

I read that Latinos make up 80% of illegal immigrants. It would logically follow that they will make up a higher number of illegal immigrants who are captured. That 80% number if nationwide. I presume Arizona would have a higher percentage.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat May 01, 2010 4:40 pm

Kay wrote:Percy said:

I respect that we have a different opinion on these matters, I am who I
    am and I cant change that, I have a healthy disdain for all authority
    figures and I always have, its really as simple as that, I dont like
    authority of any kind.

Does "authority of any kind" extend to parental authority? How will you raise your children to respect your authority? Don't take that as a personal insult, I'm just wondering how you will be able to balance your dislike of authority with teaching your children to respect authority (yours, teachers', etc.).

Well thats certainly a good question and I dont really have an answer, my kids are young so it really isnt an issue yet, my own parents were never really authority figures with my brothers and I, they were there to offer guidance and help when we needed it but they pretty much let us do what we needed to do, fall down and get hurt and learn how the world works on our own, they did a pretty good job without ruling with a heavy hand. I really cant say what sort of parent I will be, todays world is a lot different than when I grew up so it will be a challenge and I will just have to learn as I go but I dont want my kids to see me as an authority figure as much as I want them to see me as someone they can come to and talk about anything without fear of being misunderstood or misjudged.

Its a good question but a tough one, I wish I had a better answer.
    Kay
    Kay

Post by Kay Sat May 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Scott wrote:Some of you have heard me say this before.
    To go along with my views on the police, the work that defense attorneys do and the restrictions that the law places on the police are what keeps America from being North Korean. Perhaps this is the wrong thread but I will use the example of Sam McCroskey. He murdered a friend of mine BUT I am glad that he has the best defense attorney that is available to him. He will die in prison not because he was unpopular, not becuase his music was offensive, not because the police have anything personal against him but becuase he committed murder. The police are doing their job by arresting him and gathering evidence, Ennis is doing his job by prosecuting, and Bowen is doing his job by defending. Everyone benefits by having good people working on both sides. We cannot minimize the contributions made on both sides. The work they both bring some sense of balance to ths system.

I agree.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Sat May 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Kay wrote:Percy said:

But the fact that they are hispanic IS THE REASON they will be stopped, a
    non hispanic doesnt have to worry about this bill, the basis of the
    probable cause will be 'I believe this person is here illegally
    therefore I checked to see if I was right."

Not if they follow the law:

The law will allow police to engage in racial profiling. Actually,
    Section 2 provides that a law enforcement official “may not solely consider race, color or national origin”
    in making any stops or determining immigration status. In addition, all
    normal Fourth Amendment protections against profiling will continue to
    apply. In fact, the Arizona law actually reduces the likelihood of
    race-based harassment by compelling police officers to contact the
    federal government as soon as is practicable when they suspect a
    person is an illegal alien, as opposed to letting them make arrests on
    their own assessment.

I believe the police, at least most of them, are capable of following the law.

I read that Latinos make up 80% of illegal immigrants. It would logically follow that they will make up a higher number of illegal immigrants who are captured. That 80% number if nationwide. I presume Arizona would have a higher percentage.

They can spin this however they want, I have spoken to the authorities myself and even they have problems with it, no matter what anyone says at the end of the day it is a law that specifically targets a group based on their race or ethnicity.
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Sun May 02, 2010 5:00 am

Statistical informational decisions. I ain't buying into racial profiling anymore. That whole phrase is just a way to try and acuse people of being racist when some issues no matter how the other side wants to spin it are not racist. It's kicking sand in the face of the people who need this to restore some order to their state. This is not new law: they are simply writing into a state statute what has been in the law of our country but not enforced. Now that they have decided to enforce it to try and cut down on murders and increased crime everyone is up in arms. I seriously don't get it.
    70% of the people are in AZ support it; in a state like AZ some of that support comes from Mexican Americans and other latinos no?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:24 am