Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+12
Heroine
TiffaniLane
tapu
bandersnatch45
blouAngel
claudicici
Mags
dangrsmind
ericclimbs
ziggy
wadahoot
Percy
16 posters

Advice on men

Mags
    Mags

Advice on men - Page 10 Empty Re: Advice on men

Post by Mags Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Paximus wrote:
    I assume you mean, by this statement, that the younger generation are all pretty dumb and ignorant and I can see why one might think that but the statistics indicate otherwise. Kids today are a lot smarter and more creative than any generation that came before them.

Its just like anything else, people think because we have more violent images on TV and in movies and more violent music that crime is increasing because of that, but again, thats a testament to the power of flawed perception because in fact crime is down even though we are now subject to more violent media than ever before.

So, as always, and this probably belongs in the 'things ive learned in life' thread, things are never quite what they seem to be.
    You assume incorrectly.

I am talking about a very large segment of the population that has entitlement issues. I've also seen, through the 25 years I've worked directly with the public, a steady decrease over the last ten, of basic manners. Only the last few have been in fast food service, but that really drives it home.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Mags wrote:
    Paximus wrote:
    I assume you mean, by this statement, that the younger generation are all pretty dumb and ignorant and I can see why one might think that but the statistics indicate otherwise. Kids today are a lot smarter and more creative than any generation that came before them.

Its just like anything else, people think because we have more violent images on TV and in movies and more violent music that crime is increasing because of that, but again, thats a testament to the power of flawed perception because in fact crime is down even though we are now subject to more violent media than ever before.

So, as always, and this probably belongs in the 'things ive learned in life' thread, things are never quite what they seem to be.
    You assume incorrectly.

I am talking about a very large segment of the population that has entitlement issues. I've also seen, through the 25 years I've worked directly with the public, a steady decrease over the last ten, of basic manners. Only the last few have been in fast food service, but that really drives it home.

No argument from me there, we have indeed become a society that feels it is entitled to this or that and I also agree manners and general politeness are a thing of the past. It really gets me when I see people wearing hats in resturants when they sit down to eat and mind you it isnt even just the kids anymore but the entire family. I guess I am getting old, I accept that things change and nothing remains the same but I do miss the time when people were just generally more well mannered and polite. I do try to live by that myself though and that is what is most important, you cant spend all your time complaining how bad everyone else is acting, it is more productive to simply set an example for others and hope they take notice.

Albert Camus once said: "For an idea to change the world it must first change the person who carries it; it must become an example."

I have tried to live by those words. I dont always succeed but there is no shortage of effort on my part.

But here is where things get interesting, whose fault is it that we have become what we hate? I would say it is our fault, we are the ones who were to be the example of the generation that followed us and we have done a lousy job, so we cant blame them, we must look in the mirror and ask ourselves were WE went wrong.
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Oh, that's an easy one. We went wrong when we first allowed the gov't to start "taking care of us." Widows, orphans and the needy, so to speak, are the charge of churches, charities and the general good will of the people. It's not the gov'ts place to create social programs and mandate their support, it's society's job.
    Splendor Solis
    Splendor Solis

Post by Splendor Solis Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Paximus wrote:Dude forget even POT, if this country simply legalized HEMP and used it in textiles, industry etc, we could pay the national debt off pretty easily. HEMP is too much of a threat to big oil for them to consider this. HEMP could get us off foreign oil dependency.

Then we'd have foreign hemp dependency. Plus, in actuality the expense of it would probably be exponentially more than you think. I'm not saying we shouldn't look into it and other alternatives, but there is no magical "cheap" cure.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Mags wrote:Oh, that's an easy one. We went wrong when we first allowed the gov't to start "taking care of us." Widows, orphans and the needy, so to speak, are the charge of churches, charities and the general good will of the people. It's not the gov'ts place to create social programs and mandate their support, it's society's job.

I agree, so the blame should be placed on that rat bastard FDR and his New Deal. However, I do think some people need help sometimes so I dont have a big problem with some of my tax dollars going to feed families who are hungry, of course a lot of people take advantage of welfare and that is never a good thing, ideally as you say the churches and charities would handle these matters but we dont live in an ideal world, I wish we did, but we dont and there are no simple answers to the many complex issues we face today.

This of course, by extension, can lead to the even more controversial discussion of social darwinism, ever read the book MIGHT IS RIGHT by Ragnar Redbeard? It brings to the table the whole issue that the weak, disabled and others incapable of taking care of themselves should not be helped along or allowed to breed because all it does essentially is weaken the gene pool. I am not sure I am made of what it takes to believe that way but I know a lot of people who swear by it and it is, afterall, pretty much the way the natural world operates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_is_Right

Might Is Right, or The Survival of the Fittest, is a book by pseudonymous author Ragnar Redbeard. It is considered to either advocate social Darwinism or satirize it, and was first published in 1890. In Might is Right, Redbeard rejects conventional ideas of human and natural rights and argues that only strength or physical might can establish moral right (a la Callicles).
    Libertarian historian James J. Martin called it "surely one of the most incendiary works ever to be published anywhere." [1]

Last edited by Paximus on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Splendor Solis wrote:
    Paximus wrote:Dude forget even POT, if this country simply legalized HEMP and used it in textiles, industry etc, we could pay the national debt off pretty easily. HEMP is too much of a threat to big oil for them to consider this. HEMP could get us off foreign oil dependency.

Then we'd have foreign hemp dependency. Plus, in actuality the expense of it would probably be exponentially more than you think. I'm not saying we shouldn't look into it and other alternatives, but there is no magical "cheap" cure.

Thats true, I am obviously speaking loosely but HEMP could be used for many things that we now use oil for, of course we dont have the infrastructure in place to turn HEMP in to energy and the cost of setting that up would be expensive, I would like to think in the long run it would save us a lot of money and get us out of of bed with the Saudi Royals. But you are absolutely correct, there are no simple answers or easy cure alls and anyone who says there are is probably selling you snake oil.
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm

No on hemp. That's just silly. You have to grow it which takes up land that can be used for farming first, and anything else second. Hemp isn't a practical means of energy supply. Wind, water and nuclear power are all better choices.
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Boy, Pax, you are really on the pot thing.
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Paximus wrote:
    Mags wrote:Oh, that's an easy one. We went wrong when we first allowed the gov't to start "taking care of us." Widows, orphans and the needy, so to speak, are the charge of churches, charities and the general good will of the people. It's not the gov'ts place to create social programs and mandate their support, it's society's job.
    agree, so the blame should be placed on that rat bastard FDR and his New Deal. However, I do think some people need help sometimes so I dont have a big problem with some of my tax dollars going to feed families who are hungry, of course a lot of people take advantage of welfare and that is never a good thing, ideally as you say the churches and charities would handle these matters but we dont live in an ideal world, I wish we did, but we dont and there are no simple answers to the many complex issues we face today.his of course, by extension, can lead to the even more controversial discussion of social darwinism, ever read the book MIGHT IS RIGHT by Ragnar Redbeard? It brings to the table the whole issue that the weak, disabled and others incapable of taking care of themselves should not be helped along or allowed to breed because all it does essentially is weaken the gene pool. I am not sure I am made of what it takes to believe that way but I know a lot of people who swear by it and it is, afterall

You'd actually need to go back further, to Teddy, but anyway........

I disagree wholeheartedly with gov't subsidized "charity." It's wrong. People are more generous when they help willingly. It's turned helping people, which should make us feel good, into an obligation which most resent.

Now start thinking back to what we discussed previously about depression and getting a natural high. It all ties in.

Last edited by Mags on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:11 pm

I could not personally care less about pot to be honest, I dont smoke it and havent for a decade or more and have no intention of ever smoking it again. But it is a personal choice and I support a person's right to choose how they want to live their lives.

More important, to me, is the issue of legalized HEMP, which is not pot and has nothing to do with smoking anything.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Mags wrote:No on hemp. That's just silly. You have to grow it which takes up land that can be used for farming first, and anything else second. Hemp isn't a practical means of energy supply. Wind, water and nuclear power are all better choices.

Well that is a matter of debate and there are many very intelligent and cutting edge thinkers who would disagree with you, however, I see no real reason to have this discussion here since nobody's mind is going to be changed regarding the matter.
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:14 pm

I must have misread the title.

And things just seemed kind of pointedly pot heavy, suddenly. Maybe not.
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:17 pm

I am thoroughly confused now. Did this thread change its title? How does that happen?? I don't think that's a very good idea unless there's a very important reason and a very obvious explanation and announcement.

I hope this isn't just another one of my control issues, but if it is, i'm sticking by it.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:19 pm

I changed it, I can change it back, the discussion has come to include guns and pot talk in addition to men so I simply added those two to the title so that those interested parties who may want to join in on such a discussion will know what the thread is about.

I certainly wont make a habit of changing things like that but in the case it seemed to make sense.
    dangrsmind
    dangrsmind

Post by dangrsmind Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Interestingly Might is Right was the major source from which Anton LaVey cribbed his Satanic Bible. Caveat Emptor.

As far as the decline in manners and society...

Whenever I hear someone going off about our declining morals and society I just have to ask them to explain the significant, substantial and unprecedented drop in violent crime which has accompanied this so called decline. Even if people are ruder, exposed to increasingly realistic violent media, etc. the fact is they are less violent than at any time in recent history.
    tapu
    tapu

Post by tapu Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:22 pm

I am definitely starting to feel as though anarchy is not the way for me.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:25 pm

I will change the title back in the interest of not upsetting everyone. Not a problem really.

Fixed.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:27 pm

tapu wrote:I must have misread the title.

And things just seemed kind of pointedly pot heavy, suddenly. Maybe not.

I didnt start the dicussion about pot but it happened and it is what it is. It evolved and took on a life of its own, like I said I really dont give two cents about pot myself. We have members who enjoy it and I support their right to talk about it and also those who wish to take issue with it.
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm

dangrsmind wrote:Interestingly Might is Right was the major source from which Anton LaVey cribbed his Satanic Bible. Caveat Emptor.

Whenever I hear someone going off about our declining morals and society I just have to ask them to explain the significant, substantial and unprecedented drop in violent crime which has accompanied this so called decline. Even if people are ruder, exposed to increasingly realistic violent media, etc. the fact is they are less violent than at any time in recent history.

Yea thats a very much over-looked point there, thanks for that.
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Paximus wrote:
    Mags wrote:No on hemp. That's just silly. You have to grow it which takes up land that can be used for farming first, and anything else second. Hemp isn't a practical means of energy supply. Wind, water and nuclear power are all better choices.

Well that is a matter of debate and there are many very intelligent and cutting edge thinkers who would disagree with you, however, I see no real reason to have this discussion here since nobody's mind is going to be changed regarding the matter.
    That's kinda funny, in an odd sort of way.

I don't think I've ever commented on energy productions alternatives anywhere, ever. Nor have I ever given it a great deal of thought. Just seemed really obvious to me that its smarter to not use resources that could be used to feed us, when there are other alternatives.

Its like this:
    Say I have a nice size piece of land......

I can grow hemp on it and either sell it or somehow manufacture it into an energy source.

~OR~

I can put a wind turbine on my land, use it to run my house and outbuildings and the sprinkler system for the 40 acres of food I can now plant. I'm now self~sufficient, as long as the wind blows.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:34 pm

Paximus wrote:I changed it, I can change it back, the discussion has come to include guns and pot talk in addition to men so I simply added those two to the title so that those interested parties who may want to join in on such a discussion will know what the thread is about.

I certainly wont make a habit of changing things like that but in the case it seemed to make sense.
    Well maybe the only way to understand men is to smoke some dope and shoot a gun
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:37 pm

dabobkat wrote:
    Paximus wrote:I changed it, I can change it back, the discussion has come to include guns and pot talk in addition to men so I simply added those two to the title so that those interested parties who may want to join in on such a discussion will know what the thread is about.

Well maybe the only way to understand men is to smoke some dope and shoot a gun

Heh, you may be on to something there, Bob...

Last edited by Paximus on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:41 pm

dangrsmind wrote:Interestingly Might is Right was the major source from which Anton LaVey cribbed his Satanic Bible. Caveat Emptor.

I'm trying to figure out how one thing has anything to do with the other.

Is it that our nation will go out with a whimper, instead of a bang, because people are less violent and generally just don't give a shit? Um, the point was sorta that our nation and polite society is ON THE WAY OUT. Kind of irrelevant HOW it goes.
    Mags
    Mags

Post by Mags Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:44 pm

dabobkat wrote:Well maybe the only way to understand men is to smoke some dope and shoot a gun

Imma start callin' you Backwards Bob!

Sig & I, both women, are anti-dope. Pax & Dang, both men, are anti-gunish,

ban me

(Scratchy is back! Thanks!!!!!!)
    Percy
    Percy

Post by Percy Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:45 pm

tapu wrote:I am definitely starting to feel as though anarchy is not the way for me.

If you would like to point out said anarchy I would be glad to try and fix it but I am not seeing it. All I see is a couple of people trying very hard to make the forum as nice as possible while trying to make everyone happy, an impossible task at which said people are failing miserably at.

Advice on men - Page 10 362250

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content