Outcasts

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Outcasts

Outcasts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

+9
Heroine
Percy
wadahoot
Hank
blouAngel
dangrsmind
claudicici
ericclimbs
ziggy
13 posters

The Power of Music

DoctorZ

The Power of Music - Page 9 Empty Re: The Power of Music

Post by DoctorZ Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:50 pm

I found this about Lady Gaga while bored at work today:
    http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3423
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:53 pm

DoctorZ wrote:I found this about Lady Gaga while bored at work today:
    http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3423

That's interesting. It's an academic game that is played on college campuses every day to write stuff like that. It's done in an unacademic way though, since it offers no references to precedents or proof of anything when it comes to interpretations. We just take his word for everything?

It would be interesting to ask a few hundred currently un-employed people with master's degrees in comparative literature, literary criticism, European history, etc. to write their own analysis of what that video represents and see how radically different they ideas they come up with are. The masonic/mind control thing is entertaining, but the author is too certain of himself to be convincing. The whole website actually looks like something in the way of satire, but that's so hard to tell anymore.

I was wondering what that author thinks of Matthew Barney or if he was aware of his films and then I found a comment below an earlier article of his pointing out how much her videos were influenced by Barney's work although it looks like she's got more money behind her

This is a short bit of Cremaster 6

ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Wow that's awesome. I guess she isn't packing a penis afterall.
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:05 pm

ziggy wrote:Wow that's awesome. I guess she isn't packing a penis afterall.

Lucky her, it can be quite a burden to bear.
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:56 pm

yes she is The Power of Music - Page 9 Icon_smile ...just not where you'd think it would be...
    it's not a burden it's a weapon
    ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:18 pm

OK, I've seen them tucked - my first boss in the dance business was best friends with Darcelle aka: Walter.....http://www.darcellexv.com/. I went to many a show at Darcelles and my curiosity causes me to just be blunt and ask these types of questions. The girls were more than happy to oblige. They also taught me how to tape my bust for maximum cleavage with super duct tape support which came in handy for the dance costumes LOL.
    But could she be tucking it that well? The men will have to weigh in on that.

Yes Blou, I admire you men for carrying that heavy burden bless your hearts Smile
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:26 pm

...it's in her mind...she thinks like a man...that's what i mean...she's strong.
    " I think more than anyone in the news this young 24 yr old represents the best business woman in America-she’s created an empire-with finely tuned branding, messaging, mission statement, content partnerships, business modeling (the deal she cut with her record label is dependent on a 360 degree sales performance)."....pasted from a comment on an article about her in wallstreetjournal
    ...oh one more thing I don't like her music,i just like what she's doing with it,she's making little girls ask "who's sylvia plath,who's rilke?...you just have to put it in a familiar package for them to pay attention...maybe that's how she got the illuminati girl reputation...
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:12 pm

These are movies, so maybe belong in the movie thread, but they fit here. The first is a brilliant and ultimately very sad documentary about drag competitions and the communities around them in late 80's NYC. The second is about Leigh Bowery who worked in the same period in London. Innovators are often forgotten or only recognized when it's too late. Popularizers are rarely innovators. That's especially true in the history of popular music.

blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:16 pm

I've seen Laurie Anderson live a couple of times. She makes some of the most awesome sound I've ever heard, which doesn't come across on film transferred to youtube, but that's what you get with the modern world. Popular performance art circa 1983-84

blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:20 pm

blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:32 pm

These guys first came to the US in the early 80's and had a big influence on pop culture imagery. Marilyn Manson is as much this as he is a blend of David Bowie and Alice Cooper. The style of performance is called butoh. It has to be seen in person to get the full impact. The performers are incredibly disciplined and in complete control of every muscle in their bodies. The tiny movement that they are making all over don't come across in film.

ziggy
    ziggy

Post by ziggy Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:33 am

Wow that was oddly fascinating, but it reminded me of why I liked kung fu better than tai chi...
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 pm

I love,love,love the leigh bowery clip...getting ready= The Power of Music - Page 9 Icon_biggrin
    ...and Grace Jones is soooooo incredible,what an amazing video,she's 60!! in it...so stuning...
    blouAngel
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Grace jones is super human. I almost every picture I've ever seen of her, she looks so perfect that she hardly seems real. 60 is young and I hope she keeps recording for years to come.

I think Leigh Bowery was a genius. The world of fashion can be very interesting if you look in the right places.
    I don't think Hibiscus was in quite the same league, but he's another interesting semi-forgotten guy with a style all his own. The youtube clip is interesting clip all the way through, but there is footage of Hibiscus starting at around 5:00 if you just want to fast forward. The drag performance group he was a part of, the Cockettes had Sylvester, who had a number of disco hits, and Divine among its members.

Hibiscus was probably best known for this picture. The video shows a decidedly different side of his personality.

The Power of Music - Page 9 George-Harris-792250

claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:21 am

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17474992...wait before I watch that..I just said on the movie thread that I'm not the biggest nirvana fan in the world and with all the bad stuff said about courtney love I must post this first..because i am a fan of hers...
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:50 am

ok,lol..I saw it...when you say "fashion",that's not at all what I think of,"fashion' to me has that immedeate negative sound to it,confinement,the color of the season type of thing,this stuff is deliberating.like anti fashion,just really happy stuff,I also laughed about how that commune was called "kaliflower" with a k as in "kraut",reminded me of germans always acting like they're so free and forward ( and i'm not talking about back then,I mean now) and really they're full of rules and restrictions...I would have wanted to go to the cockettes also...
    DoctorZ

Post by DoctorZ Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Heroine
    Heroine
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Heroine Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:04 am

The Power of Music - Page 9 418352
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 am

killers and 311 are both bands that immedeadly make me The Power of Music - Page 9 Icon_biggrin ,i saw 311 twice,and each time it was one of the funnest concerts i've ever been too...
    claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 am

claudicici
    claudicici

Post by claudicici Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 am

Heroine
    Heroine
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Heroine Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:46 pm

claudicici wrote:killers and 311 are both bands that immedeadly make me The Power of Music - Page 9 Icon_biggrin ,i saw 311 twice,and each time it was one of the funnest concerts i've ever been too...
    I love 311!!! That's one of my all time favorite bands!!!!! The Power of Music - Page 9 Icon_biggrin The Power of Music - Page 9 Herz
    Heroine
    Heroine
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Heroine Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 pm

I go through phases where I'll listen to a song over and over again and right now it's this one that I can't seem to get enough of, I'm sure in a couple of days it'll be something else....haha!

Well, I don't feel like I need to explain this one...Smile I saw them live not too long ago, it was fun...

Well those are my 2 songs of the day! The Power of Music - Page 9 Icon_biggrin
    Heroine
    Heroine
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Heroine Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:03 am

This is for Claudia and I......hehe....

The Power of Music - Page 9 Icon_biggrin
    I hope all these videos work. The Power of Music - Page 9 Icon_exclaim

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content